First trip Abroad

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Gulf Stream Independence
RV Experience
2 Years in and loving it...
Blimey can you not avoid toll Roads? Or is it not possible?
If you need to make ground I get it. Kinda. There’s usually a perfectly good alternative with option to stop and enjoy. I love driving the RV but I love more staying put in it for days on end.

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
5th wheel
Model
Primetime Crusader 325 RES
RV Experience
Many years
We've done the toll roads, great if you just want to cover as much mileage as possible to get to your destination quickly, but it's also nice to just take in the scenery if you aren't in a hurry.
We've also gone with no set destination & just picked a couple of interesting places to visit, if you don't like it when you get there just move on. Just have a look on Google maps to get an idea of whether you will fit on campsites, don't rely on the staff saying "of course you will", some pitches can be small & access roads impossible.

paul&debra

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
a class
Model
Coachmen Mirada
RV Experience
since august 2012
Blimey can you not avoid toll Roads? Or is it not possible?
Yes I would always recommend not using tolls, what's the point of seeing miles of motorway. But very occasionally it can be necessary.

Member No
RV Type
A class
Model
Coachmen Mirada 32'
RV Experience
10+ in Caravans, 5th wheels and now A class
and just remember to keep an eye out for those occasional side roads on the right in more rural areas and some of the towns that have right of way over the main road

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Georgie Boy Cruisemaster Elite
RV Experience
Since 2015
I think we only spent about €13 on tolls on our journey through France. We took the scenic route and as has already been said, there are lots of good alternatives to motorway driving. It's all a matter of whether you are intent on sightseeing or just passing through.

We also found that when we couldn't find anywhere suitable to park, a nice wide pavement was perfect. We weren't blocking any pedestrians or entrances and we could get off the road, no one bothered us. I guess we were too big to clamp or tow away and we were gone again after lunch anyway. :giggle:

Steve Martin

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A
Model
Monaco Knight 30' twin slide Diesel
RV Experience
Not enough to get the T-shirt
Usually the far right Toll booth is for lorries and so wider, just make sure it isn't a TAG lane..
There are plenty of routes through France and Spain without Tolls and are perfectly good enough for RVs and you see some lovely small towns and villages and you can find a tap in graveyards if you need water..

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Beaver Monterey 33'
RV Experience
since 2013
Usually the far right Toll booth is for lorries and so wider, just make sure it isn't a TAG lane..
There are plenty of routes through France and Spain without Tolls and are perfectly good enough for RVs and you see some lovely small towns and villages and you can find a tap in graveyards if you need water..
I'v heard if you dig deep enough in them grave yards you can even find gold :eek::giggle:

Skirmishguy

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Coachmen Mirada 29ks
RV Experience
Since 2014
I agree that if you have enough time to take a more leisurely pace to get to where you want to go, its great to see more of the countryside, towns and villages along the way. If you don’t have a lot of time then the toll roads get you there substantially quicker, but, at a cost monetarily. Just out of interest, has anyone done trips to say; Spain on different occasions but using toll roads on one trip and only non toll roads on another and compared the fuel consumption for both? I noticed higher fuel consumption using non tolls. Lots of stop/starts, roundabouts etc.

paul&debra

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
a class
Model
Coachmen Mirada
RV Experience
since august 2012
I agree that if you have enough time to take a more leisurely pace to get to where you want to go, its great to see more of the countryside, towns and villages along the way. If you don’t have a lot of time then the toll roads get you there substantially quicker, but, at a cost monetarily. Just out of interest, has anyone done trips to say; Spain on different occasions but using toll roads on one trip and only non toll roads on another and compared the fuel consumption for both? I noticed higher fuel consumption using non tolls. Lots of stop/starts, roundabouts etc.
We have done both but not same route, so can't compare. But toll roads tend to be straighter as well, while other roads meander and as you say have lights and roundabouts. I would guess that you use 50% more fuel not on tolls. But if I was worried about fuel cost, I wouldn't have bought an RV.(y):D

Skirmishguy

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Coachmen Mirada 29ks
RV Experience
Since 2014
I totally agree, RV-ing is about the whole experience not the bob or two we can sometimes save by sticking to one fixed plan. We can only take a week or two off at a time due to work commitments so if we are going to southern europe, we prefer to get there quicker if we want to get in all the plans for the destination in good time. It seems to be swings and roundabouts so it could be said the costs are similar maybe whatever method you use. I know when I retire in a couple of years I’ll relish taking my time and soaking up the culture. Maybe I can take my gap year at last!

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Gulf Stream Independence
RV Experience
2 Years in and loving it...
We’ve been driving back and forth to the very south of Spain for years usually in a 4x4 that does about 25mpg. We also cart along 2 Dogs. Although we largely used toll roads, We’d try to make a trip out of the journey by limiting ourselves to a tank of fuel a day and stop in a hotel for the night before moving on. That gave us time both ends of the day to chill and walk the dogs. We have a couple of well worn routes and mainly used Ibis hotels. You know what you’re getting and they take dogs, at a cost.

My point here is... in four’ish days, we never saw very much and spent a shite load of cash. Big roads, driving and hotels.
If our RV does about 12mpg, petrol is cheaper than Deisel (4x4 is Deisel) and LPG half the price of petrol. Then it doesn’t cost me any more on fuel to run the RV over the same distance. About 80-100€ per day.
If I have to run on petrol then I’m not bothered. I think of it as giving the engine a rest.
Then add to the fuel and Tolls the Hotel €100 + €20 for the dogs. Eating out breakfast and supper. French roadside Coffee which is apparent made from liquid gold.

Simple difference is I’m looking forward to miandering down south, taking our time on non toll roads and stopping where we like for as long as we like. By reckoning, every night not spent in a Hotel is >€150 saved. That’s profit and a bonus on the complete experience we’ve set ourselves up for.

“Take It easy, take it easy
Don't let the sound of your own wheels Drive you crazy
Lighten up while you still can
Don't even try to understand
Just find a place to make your stand
And take it easy”
Eagles

Winter is Coming, we’re off....

Last edited:
Member No
RV Type
A class.
Model
Thor Vegas 24.1
RV Experience
Since 2007
Morning all.
Just reading through the comments with interest.
We are at present just outside Cologne with Larrynwin after a road trip down to the black forest and beyond and we are having a Ball !!
All I will say is we are doing it our way(y).It might not suit everyone but we have used camp sites on the way down and campsites on the way back.
One more night in Cologne then Belgium for two nights then the ferry.
Take on board all the advice posted on here then.....do it your way.;)

John P.(y)

Back