First trip Abroad

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
1990 Safari Trek
RV Experience
Since 2010
Hi, can anybody advise us on the process of venturing Overseas (maybe as far as.. 'France' !...Bought an old, abandoned RV back in March,...Only take a few weeks to restore....Well, summer has now gone, the RV just about habitable and wify hinting about France,...Has anyone written a decent book on the subject for first timers?......I keep thinking of the saying 'Fools & first Trippers' !

lee and sheryl

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
coachmen mirada 310ds
RV Experience
since 2017
However i would recomend trying a slightly more local site for a testing session before you go to far.

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Tiffin Phaeton
RV Experience
3+
Make sure you have the relevant gas adaptors, buy the Aries books and drive on the Right side of the road and enjoy.

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
1990 Safari Trek
RV Experience
Since 2010
However i would recomend trying a slightly more local site for a testing session before you go to far.
Yes, we ventured from Darkest Cornwall to foreign Parts (Devon) and found a gem of a site just outside Plymouth, then Ventured all the way to Cheddar !

stunette

Life Member
Member No
RV Type
A Class
RV Experience
Since 2008
We've been over the water more than a dozen times now & had a great trip every time.. Plan where you are going & enjoy..!(y)(y)

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Monaco Monarch SE 30PPD
RV Experience
Motorhome since 2012 Caravaning since 1978
3 trips last year and 2 trips this year around France. As suggested buy 'All the Aires' in France they are worth every penny. The Sat Nav co-ordinates will take you straight there. You can also put them into Google Earth and check accessibility and the size of the pitches. It was suggested to me on this forum to try searchforsites. I found it very useful as you can easily switch between normal maps and satellite maps. Some of the best stops we have had have been free with better facilities than ones we have paid for.
Make sure you have breakdown cover for mainland Europe. Also make sure you have a spare particularly if you have 19.5 inch rims as they are hard to get hold of. Just take the tyre as a spare if you do not have a rim. I also take a spare serpentine drive belt along with spare bulbs fuses etc. Some of the roads are still posted at 90kph the speed limit was dropped to 80kph in July of this year. My tom tom still has the wrong speed limits. A new map came out while we were away last week so I am hoping this will rectify this.

Last edited:

old mo

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
Low Profile "Majestic"..
Model
RV Experience
Years & Years
Only bit of advise from me, is...

Get a decent Sat-Nav that you can put in the size and weight of your RV..

We did NOT the first time we ventured into France.... and wish we had... :sweating: :cry: :swear:

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Gulf Stream Independence
RV Experience
2 Years in and loving it...
Only bit of advise from me, is...

Get a decent Sat-Nav that you can put in the size and weight of your RV..

We did NOT the first time we ventured into France.... and wish we had... :sweating: :cry: :swear:
Or save a few bob and use the Co Pilot App. We’ve used it a lot and it works great.

Member No
RV Type
American A Class
Model
Fleetwood Bounder 34J
RV Experience
Not long enough
If your using Airres or even Camp sites. Download Camper Contact App. Shows up to date info for free/pay sites and poi's.

As for tyres, we had two blow outs on route and no problems getting 19.5. Changed all 6 by a nice place on a Sunday, Yes Europe opened up especially for us on a Sunday.

As said, lpg adapters, Think we is used the inner cup type and the New Euro fittings in Spain (New Euro looks like a p#ni$ shape)

Breakdown cover and decent insurance.

Learn the Lingo, most appreciate you trying and it's also fun.
France for Booze, jump border if your close to Belgium for cheaper fuel.

Most of all, Enjoy your adventure.

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Georgie Boy Cruisemaster Elite
RV Experience
Since 2015
Don’t be scared it isn’t the Wild West, just be organised.

Lots of apps for stop over places, we used Camperstop, CaraMaps, Parkings. Had the Aires book too but we preferred a regulated site for the facilities. It’s a matter of choice. We also had an HGV satnav, it still took us on some interesting roads but if a bus can get through......

Take a saw, you may need to modify some vegetation (or wooden bollards) to get through if stuck (don’t ask).

We drove until about 4pm most days we were on the move but started looking for suitable overnight stops from 2pm onwards, trying to anticipate how far we could get in the next 2 hours. If we couldn’t find something that appealed on one app, we switched. They are all different and some sites only appear on some apps. We also had a good old fashioned map, can’t trust that you will always get a good enough signal for tinternet. And a camp site book just in case. We are risk adverse!

It is worth phoning or emailing ahead if going to a particular site, just to make sure they can accommodate a big beast. We did find some areas had less choice in sites and so a bit of planning was a good thing, saves having to pull over just anywhere (although I know some prefer this).

Most of all, enjoy. It was the best holiday ever and we ended up in the Algarve (that was our plan, we didn’t get lost).

Skirmishguy

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Coachmen Mirada 29ks
RV Experience
Since 2014
I concur with all of the above.
Also, this may be useful:
https://www.drive-france.com/checklist/
Although you may not need headlight converters if your rig is like mine. Worth checking though.
The Camper contact app is well worth the £5 per year for the full version as it is downloaded for offline use and updated regularly when you have a signal.
Solar and battery bank comes into its own if using aires and wild camping. We overnight in towns and villages sometimes and so long as you are not in the way, nobody gives two hoots. Supermarkets are also a good overnight stop.
Learn a bit of the lingo or get a decent phrase book as you quite often find that people in rural france don’t have a word of English! My O-level french has come in very useful indeed and if you make an effort, the French could not be more friendly or helpful.
Above all, just go for it, its easier than you think! The Motorhome is king on the continent so they are well set up for it.

sundowner

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A class
Model
Neismann+Bischoff Flair 2.8 Iveco
RV Experience
47 years on and off with various travelling vehicles
Don't aim for a big distance each day--------- sort out potential night stops maybe 3/4each night , when you get to the first one if it not suitable just drive to the next------ in France every village is worth stopping at so if you only do, say 50ks a day that is fine and you will have plenty of time to get your pastries at the local shop----- don't forget to say a happy bon jour when you go in, you will be amazed how friendly the French are!!!!!!!

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Gulf Stream Independence
RV Experience
The Brit Stops book has been a lot of fun for us this summer. They do one called France Passion (I beleive) we’ll be getting that.
Britstops is largely pubs that open their car parks for us. FP is largely Vineyards, nice!!!
You can stay for free with no obligations to buy. Just try and not buy a nice bottle of French wine. A bit like not buying a pint in a country pub.
All good fun.
Good luck.

Member No
RV Type
A class
Model
coachmen aurora
RV Experience
The Brit Stops book has been a lot of fun for us this summer. They do one called France Passion (I beleive) we’ll be getting that.
Britstops is largely pubs that open their car parks for us. FP is largely Vineyards, nice!!!
You can stay for free with no obligations to buy. Just try and not buy a nice bottle of French wine. A bit like not buying a pint in a country pub.
All good fun.
Good luck.
Ruff how have you been getting size wise in the car parks sounds a great way to do it?

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Gulf Stream Independence
RV Experience
They do give a clear guide in the reviews section, however... I always check Google to see what the approach roads are like and if you can turn around if it all goes south upon arrival. ie the car park is full. Equally I always phone ahead to ask what sort of state the car park is in. They’re all very helpful, we’ve even arrived to find cones out to clear the way. TBH arrive in the morning or mid afternoon week days and most pubs these days are empty. Arrive 1700 on a Friday or Saturday afternoon and don’t be surprised. Just common sense really.
Just because the book doesn’t show us big boys can get in, doesn’t mean they don’t accept you. Just do all of the above and call to make sure. Country pubs and especially canal side pubs are fantastic. We’ve also stayed in a couple of vineyards.
The book says one night at a time but a bit of local negotiation and chit chat you’ll have no problem.
It is worthwhile.

Last edited:

Gareth62

Life Member
Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Coachmen Mirada 290KS
RV Experience
A lot more than I had in Feb 2018 when I had none.
We have stayed at a few Britstop pubs now and found them all okay, the last one gave me a tour around the working kitchens, I only went in for a coffee and to say thanks, they made me one with the staff in the back as the pub was shut.....

Oh in France if using the toll roads watch the toll booths as they don't give you much room, I just caught my step on the concrete wall, didn't damage it but I only had around 10" between the wheels and the concrete on my side and the mirrors where far to close for comfort.

I was talking to the previous owner last week and he had done just the same thing. That's more than likely why the step sticks out a couple of inches and doesn't fold in completely.

Last edited:

paul&debra

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
a class
Model
Coachmen Mirada
RV Experience
since august 2012
I went through one toll booth that I had to go hard left to get the right mirror past a post, then hard right to get the left mirror past a post. Talk about tight.:D:D

Gareth62

Life Member
Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Coachmen Mirada 290KS
RV Experience
A lot more than I had in Feb 2018 when I had none.
I went through one toll booth that I had to go hard left to get the right mirror past a post, then hard right to get the left mirror past a post. Talk about tight.:D:D

Thats just what I had to do and thats when I caught my step avoiding the post on the left, had my head out the window looking down at the wheels so close to the high concrete kerb on my side.

Back