Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
American A class
Model
Thor Challenger 32VS
RV Experience
5 years European, new to rv
This has probably been discussed lots of times but I am new to rv.
I am looking to go to Catral in February for 4 -5 week.
Due to a dog I can not get a ferry to bilbao etc so have to use calais.
Looking for an idea on what route to take, where to stop on route and toll costs in 7.5 tonne rv.
So far have been told a place to stop may be futurescope near poitier, but that was by a normal motorhome user not rv.
Any help greatly appreciated..

Steve Martin

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A
Model
Monaco Knight 30' twin slide Diesel
RV Experience
Not enough to get the T-shirt
Welcome to the forum Adrian, you will probably end up with loads of different routes, it depends on how fast you need to get to Catral. There are many threads on trips to Spain and you can use the 'search facility' to find the best route suited to your circumstances. (y)

paul&debra

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
a class
Model
Coachmen Mirada
RV Experience
since august 2012
Just to throw an extra spanner in the works. The ferries from Portsmouth to santander have kennels and one even has pet friendly cabins. So you don't have to take the Calais route.:D;)

tacr2man

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
Overlander 6x6
Model
Bucher Duro
RV Experience
Santander will save you about 800 miles each way and 25 miles in UK each way :)

Member No
RV Type
A Class 39ft Diesel Pusher
Model
Fleetwood Discovery 39S
RV Experience
Since Oct 2007
Santander will save you about 800 miles each way and 25 miles in UK each way :)

And 1600 miles is a lot of diesel / petrol/ LPG
m1703.gif

Olley

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A
Model
Winnebago Brave 31'
RV Experience
Here's a route and some details of stopping places to Benidorm from Tonka on fun.

Ian

Attachments

• Tonka's Western Route to Spain v7 Jan 2016.pdf
    376.3 KB · Views: 30

Adrian Allen

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
American A class
Model
Thor Challenger 32VS
RV Experience
Just to throw an extra spanner in the works. The ferries from Portsmouth to santander have kennels and one even has pet friendly cabins. So you don't have to take the Calais route.:D;)
Pet friendly cabins are all fully booked.:-( will call and ask about Kennels. Thanks.

Adrian Allen

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
American A class
Model
Thor Challenger 32VS
RV Experience
Welcome to the forum Adrian, you will probably end up with loads of different routes, it depends on how fast you need to get to Catral. There are many threads on trips to Spain and you can use the 'search facility' to find the best route suited to your circumstances. (y)
I am well versed in travelling on the continent, and know loads of routes but in car or ordinary motorhome not rv. Worried more about where to plan stops. Also I drive quickly normally but in rv I do stick to max 60 for some reason so difficult for me to assess how far I will actually get comfortably in rv compared to car.

Merv-IOM

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Winnebago Journey DL 34 HD
RV Experience
Since 2011
I am well versed in travelling on the continent, and know loads of routes but in car or ordinary motorhome not rv. Worried more about where to plan stops. Also I drive quickly normally but in rv I do stick to max 60 for some reason so difficult for me to assess how far I will actually get comfortably in rv compared to car.
It doesn't matter how far you get with an RV......you've got your home with you at all times :)

We use the Aires, both Spain and France and find them generally brilliant places to stop (we actually prefer them to campsites). Don't worry about how much you travel...it's all about how much you enjoy.

nickpullum

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A class
Model
Damon Escaper
RV Experience
We've just travelled through France and Spain we stopped in the small Aires on the motorways saves no end of time if you want to be getting down there, all that planning stops just not worth the bother

Olley

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A
Model
Winnebago Brave 31'
RV Experience

Depends how long you want to drive for. I did Calais to Park Verger which is near Limoges in one day, then Park Verger to Camping Feuntes Blacas in Burgos in another, and finally straight to Lisbon Camping in another day. That's an average of about 450 miles a day, driving I guess for about 10 hours a day. I reckon if you travel at about 60mph, only use toll roads, only stop for fuel or a quick bun, you can reckon on covering about 50miles per hour. That's what I use as a rule of thumb for guessing travelling times. Off toll roads I would think averaging 40 miles an hour or less, is more likely.

Ian

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Damon Daybreak 3270
RV Experience
5 happy years Picking up Bits
aren't the motorways in France a risk if you breakdown? Recovery is not allowed but only by their recovery people at huge costs.?

Adrian Allen

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
American A class
Model
Thor Challenger 32VS
RV Experience
We've just travelled through France and Spain we stopped in the small Aires on the motorways saves no end of time if you want to be getting down there, all that planning stops just not worth the bother
Heard of lots of security problems stopping in services etc in France and Spain that is putting me off slightly.

paul&debra

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
a class
Model
Coachmen Mirada
RV Experience
since august 2012
Heard of lots of security problems stopping in services etc in France and Spain that is putting me off slightly.
Most of these stories are "my mates, wife's mothers friend said". So don't let it put you off, just be sensible where you park. If you feel comfortable and safe stay if not move on.:D

Member No
RV Type
A Class, Length 9.9314m or 32' 7" in proper measurements.
Model
Winnebago Sightseer 31E .......... 2010
RV Experience
5 Years drivng a " WINNEBAGO ". SuperExcellent. SuperLuckyLad.

Done it many times, and never had a pick of trouble or seen any trouble or have ever reliably heard about any trouble. Great free overnight motorway parking, more often than not with a toilet, water supply and even washing up facilities. In Spain there are even areas for the fridge lorries so their cooling units do not disturb your snoozing. We just set off and stop for the night wherever. As for breaking down, well, thankfully that has never happened. :clap:

paul&debra

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
a class
Model
Coachmen Mirada
RV Experience
since august 2012
Done it many times, and never had a pick of trouble or seen any trouble or have ever reliably heard about any trouble. Great free overnight motorway parking, more often than not with a toilet, water supply and even washing up facilities. In Spain there are even areas for the fridge lorries so their cooling units do not disturb your snoozing. We just set off and stop for the night wherever. As for breaking down, well, thankfully that has never happened. :clap:
But it is a Winnebagel.:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Olley

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A
Model
Winnebago Brave 31'
RV Experience

Main areas where crime has been reported is on motorway Aires close to the Spanish boarder and ones close to Marseilles, even then we are looking at a very small proportion of vehicles that have been targeted, compared to the amount of vehicles that use these Aires. If your concerned, come of the M/ways and use the ones in towns. The most I have every had on any Aire is the local kids having a burn up on their scooters. :)

If you buy "All the Aires France" it lists Aires suitable for large motorhomes with pictures. They do Spain as well.
https://www.vicarious-shop.com/All-the-Aires-France-north-and-south-together.html

Ian

Last edited:
Member No
RV Type
A class
Model
2014 Thor Axis.
RV Experience
Since "07.
I've stayed on the Autoroute aires many times over the years, never a problem and I've usually found them ideal, I even use the truckers shower in the morning. Obviously, park in a lit area not too far from the shop/fuel station and amongst others if possible, but, keep away from any fridge trucks (you'll not get any sleep) and try and park before 7pm or you could have difficulty finding room to park. Also, be carful of putting your slides out, I only put them out if they overhang grass or the curb, I've had nightmares about a tired HGV driver pulling in at speed, not seeing the slide out and removing it whilst we sleep ...! All common sense really.

Olley

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A
Model
Winnebago Brave 31'
RV Experience
I've stayed on the Autoroute aires many times over the years, never a problem and I've usually found them ideal, I even use the truckers shower in the morning. Obviously, park in a lit area not too far from the shop/fuel station and amongst others if possible, but, keep away from any fridge trucks (you'll not get any sleep) and try and park before 7pm or you could have difficulty finding room to park. Also, be carful of putting your slides out, I only put them out if they overhang grass or the curb, I've had nightmares about a tired HGV driver pulling in at speed, not seeing the slide out and removing it whilst we sleep ...! All common sense really.

Same here, and for the same reasons.

Ian

Back