Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Damon Daybreak 3270
RV Experience
5 happy years Picking up Bits
Hi chaps and chapesses
Anyone know what the rd from Harlech to Blaenau festiniog and onto the the A5 is like. I do not want to go back through Barmouth as its a tight squeeze . Lost 2 mirrors
On the way here due to a loony lorry driver.
People friendly food good And roads generally a lot quieter than Kent . The scenery is fantastic too

Member No
RV Type
C Class. 30'6"
Model
fourwinds chateau 29r 2006
RV Experience
If i,m not there I should be
Steve (gulfbluesrs) would be your man ,he travels those roads
(y)

Member No
RV Type
Class A Diesel Pusher
Model
Winnebago Vectra
RV Experience
Since 1969
Most of it is fine, but a 4 mile section before the A487 gets a bit twisty and narrow, best done early or late.

Quite a climb out of Blaenau Ffestiniog, big layby at top of pass to let engine cool down. As you approach A5 very narrow at the Fairy Glen. Best again early or late before tour coaches get out. Welsh main roads can be still quite narrow!!.

Where you heading?

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Beaver Monterey 33'
RV Experience
since 2013
Hi Bill, As Pete says, mostly fine from Harlech to A487 bar the narrow twisty bit for the 4 miles or so, take your time and all should be fine........don't bother trying to concentrate on the white line in the middle of the road along that section because there ain't one ;):rofl:
The A487 is great and then if your nervous you may be better taking the slightly longer route and stay on the A487 untill you get to the A470 and follow that all the way over to Blaenau Ffestiniog and onto the A5, again as Pete says some good steep climbs but nothing you can't manage, just take you time there's some stunning views over that way......and sheep too ;):giggle:........

This thing about Welsh roads being narrow is just a myth they are all fine but you will find some are wider than others
Don't stress about your mirrors too much they are only there as a guide so that you know how close you are getting to things when they touch ;):giggle: I'm sure you'll soon train Wifey to hang her head out of the window to tell you what's behind you and how close you are getting to things along with all her other jobs that you give her to do ;):rofl::rofl::rofl:

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Beaver Monterey 33'
RV Experience
since 2013
Llangurig pass was steep foot flat down and twisty couldn't get a run up arggghh thought she was going to stop:(
Llangurig is just a gentle slope Bill and can / regularly is driven flat out in both directions ;) I think your gonna love the Blaenau road ;) ;):D

Member No
RV Type
Class A Diesel Pusher
Model
Winnebago Vectra
RV Experience
Since 1969
Llangurig is just a gentle slope Bill and can / regularly is driven flat out in both directions ;) I think your gonna love the Blaenau road ;) ;):D
Probably take oxygen and get a nose bleed!! The QEII bridge is high for these Kentish types!! :D:D

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Damon Daybreak 3270
RV Experience
I'll have you know I've been to the top o the GPO tower without any ill effects:D:D:D

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Damon Daybreak 3270
RV Experience
Ok went back over the llangurig pass today wifey on a bottle of whisky a day now :D Harlech was well tight . Don't go through Barmouth chaps you could get stuck like us:D. Bus hit our toad just out side Snowdon we were in it not the bus. Stopped to let him pass but noo he wanted our side of the road as well:mad: took a chunk out of us.bet the company denies all knowledge

paul&debra

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
a class
Model
Coachmen Mirada
RV Experience
since august 2012
You left lots of bits all over Wales ? They are going to start charging you for waste disposal.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Member No
RV Type
Class A Diesel Pusher
Model
Winnebago Vectra
RV Experience
Since 1969
Ok went back over the llangurig pass today wifey on a bottle of whisky a day now :D Harlech was well tight . Don't go through Barmouth chaps you could get stuck like us:D. Bus hit our toad just out side Snowdon we were in it not the bus. Stopped to let him pass but noo he wanted our side of the road as well:mad: took a chunk out of us.bet the company denies all knowledge
If you go home via Brighton, you could mug a geriatric mods scooter for a couple of wing mirrors, they're usually out over the Bank Holiday (unless it's raining, scooters never were much good in the rain. They fall over!!)

Arthur

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Tiffin Phaeton
RV Experience
Bill

Ooooh - I think we may have to go through Barmouth - A496- to get to Shell island in October. Google street view shows a single decker going around the 1 way system. Are you saying that its a no no?:sweating::sweating:
We are about 36ft plus scooter rack:sweating::sweating:

Arthur

Member No
RV Type
Forest River
Model
Georgetown 375XL 11.5meters 10.5tonnes
RV Experience
Older and wiser now.
A5 to Corwen, then Bala, then Trawsfynydd, then down to Penrhyndeudraeth then round the corner to Harlech and on to Llanbedr. Easy peasy.

Arthur

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Tiffin Phaeton
RV Experience
A5 to Corwen, then Bala, then Trawsfynydd, then down to Penrhyndeudraeth then round the corner to Harlech and on to Llanbedr. Easy peasy.
Yup that looks fine with some nice views too- still have to get down the last part to Shell island which looks a bit interesting after you turn off the A496 in Llanbedr by the Victoria Arms.

Back