Based in Lincoln but ... always on the road
Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Winnebago Voyage 33V
RV Experience
Since 2016
we intend to make our first trip abroad in November this year, heading through France for the South of Spain and Portugal.
Would those of you who have done this before, would you consider having a set of ‘Aires’ books a necessity or a luxury?
Thanks.

Steve Martin

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A
Model
Monaco Knight 30' twin slide Diesel
RV Experience
Not enough to get the T-shirt
Camper Contact is invaluable if doing a spot of wild camping.
Aires books are very handy as they also have LPG garages and campsites included plus easy viewing maps.

sundowner

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A class
Model
Neismann+Bischoff Flair 2.8 Iveco
RV Experience
47 years on and off with various travelling vehicles
We use several sources of night stop places, all the Aires-- camper stop--park for night-- camper contact--- there are so many similar books/on line sites, we do like the Aires books as if we are unable to get wi-fi we can still search for a night stop-----there are loads of Aires in the Aires books but many many more stopping places on the on line sites, we probably use the 'aires' books the most though.
You are probably already aware----- but the motorway Aires are generally considered a high risk theft area!!!!------ 'motorhome Aires' are a totally different thing!!.
As a matter of interest???? We normally head for Pau in the south of France and cross into Spain via the Somport tunnel, this route seems to suit us very well, we find it very easy and relaxing!!!, We then turn for Portugal but you can easily go the other way towards East coast of Spain, Nov. Should be ok but watch the weather especially near the Pyrenees.
Enjoy your trip!!!
Nigel and Pamala

CARAVAN HATER

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Mandalay Presidio
RV Experience
Bloody Nightmare
Last year before heading to spain for our first trip I bought the All The Aires Book, it's still sitting in the cupboard and has never been looked at. We found the Camper Contact App was brilliant. don't bother with the books just download the app and enjoy

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Winnebago Voyage 33V
RV Experience
Since 2016
We use several sources of night stop places, all the Aires-- camper stop--park for night-- camper contact--- there are so many similar books/on line sites, we do like the Aires books as if we are unable to get wi-fi we can still search for a night stop-----there are loads of Aires in the Aires books but many many more stopping places on the on line sites, we probably use the 'aires' books the most though.
You are probably already aware----- but the motorway Aires are generally considered a high risk theft area!!!!------ 'motorhome Aires' are a totally different thing!!.
As a matter of interest???? We normally head for Pau in the south of France and cross into Spain via the Somport tunnel, this route seems to suit us very well, we find it very easy and relaxing!!!, We then turn for Portugal but you can easily go the other way towards East coast of Spain, Nov. Should be ok but watch the weather especially near the Pyrenees.
Enjoy your trip!!!
Nigel and Pamala
Thanks for the info. Yes we were aware of the risk on the motorways and, although we prefer to drive on them in the UK, we do not intend to use them much in France or Spain as we prefer the more ‘scenic’ routes. ‘Superslabs’ of concrete or tarmac are not really our thing! As we intend to be away for 5 months we are not in a rush to get anywhere. I like the sound of your route, maybe I need to get myself a rare commodity these days, a paper map book of France and Spain!! :rofl::rofl:

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Winnebago Voyage 33V
RV Experience
Since 2016
Last year before heading to spain for our first trip I bought the All The Aires Book, it's still sitting in the cupboard and has never been looked at. We found the Camper Contact App was brilliant. don't bother with the books just download the app and enjoy
Can’t seem to find the correct app in the App Store, all I can find is ‘Caramaps - Motorhome campsites’ and ‘camper app: travel europe’
Cancel that, found the link on their website.

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Winnebago Voyage 33V
RV Experience
Since 2016
Okay, next question. As this will be our first ‘foreign’ sojourner in our RV, what are the main ‘silly mistakes’ that us first timers make, and what should we prepare and look out for?

Olley

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A
Model
Winnebago Brave 31'
RV Experience
Driving on the right, after you have been there a few weeks, pull out of a campsite and forget. :eek:

CARAVAN HATER

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Mandalay Presidio
RV Experience
Bloody Nightmare
My first mistake was filling the petrol & gas tanks before leaving the UK, would have been much cheaper to fill up in Calais.

Member No
RV Type
A class
Model
Dayman Ultrasport
RV Experience
Best way to learn is make the mistakes for yourself and don't over think it. Least the steering wheel is on the right side,which makes it a lot easier than over here. Bushes scratch paint. Toll booths can be tight. You've got 3 Doberman and worried about security?ive only got Karon

Olley

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A
Model
Winnebago Brave 31'
RV Experience
Some tolls have a wider lane on the far right side, I always look for that.

CARAVAN HATER

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Mandalay Presidio
RV Experience
Bloody Nightmare
Another mistake I made was booking campsites in France for 1-2 night stop overs only to find that many of the Aires are better than the campsites. Some of the Aires are a bit rough in Spain but the ones in France were great.

onan

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Monaco Camelot
RV Experience
Since 2004
Best way to learn is make the mistakes for yourself

With no offence to Steve/Karon I prefer Napoleons quote:

“Fools learn by their mistakes, I learn by the mistakes of others’

Which is why I like it when mistakes are shared on this forum, We all learn.

Member No
RV Type
Fleet wood
Model
American Egale
RV Experience
We find the best way to enjoy our trip
Over the channel
Is not book any sites or your return crossing that way you have no dead lines to meet and that will make it more relaxing and stres free which will add up to a great adventure
Last year we stopped on 34 sites including campsites,Aries,beaches , in France and Spain best holiday ever
Just enjoy and learn by your mistakes
One thing I would say is do not take the campsites receptionist word that they can accommodate your RV
Always best to park out side and walk in and see for yourself might save you a few scratches and aircon covers

Steve Martin

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A
Model
Monaco Knight 30' twin slide Diesel
RV Experience
Not enough to get the T-shirt
If you use the Tolls, remember to keep take your ticket and keep it ready to pay at the next Toll.

Best advice is, relax and enjoy the trip. We all make mistakes and get battle damage to our RVs but we live and learn and come back for more..(y)(y)

Member No
RV Type
A class
Model
coachmen aurora
RV Experience
November will be very cold on way down and will be snow as a rule. Take your time and have a great time. We like camper Aires safety in numbers.

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Georgie Boy Cruisemaster Elite
RV Experience
Since 2015
We did that trip last year and used a combination of books and apps. After lunch I started looking for a stop over place that we would reach by about 4pm. Don’t rely on one book or app, they are all different.

You will have more time to do the research than we did, as we stayed in a different place every night.

Don’t be afraid to pick up the phone. Most of the sites speak good English.

Most of all enjoy yourselves. We had the best time ever.

Remember, you are likely too big to tow away or clamp. We found wide pavements great for parking up while we went for lunch!

What we forgot was European adapters for the LPG. Get the set before you go.

Have a fab time.

Back