Sat Nav Rethink

Member No
RV Type
Forest River
Model
Georgetown 375XL 11.5meters 10.5tonnes
RV Experience
Older and wiser now.
Daybreaker's comments about Snoopers triggered the old grey matter. Having always used Snooper in the RV, I have adapted to its foibles, especially when it joins up two section of its routing by going up one sliproad and down the other onto the same carriageway going in the same direction.

Being a nosey old git, I asked an Addison Lee driver in London what sat nav he used (because they don't have to do "The Knowledge"). He introduced me to an Android app on his smartphone called Waze.

Well, having had a strange journey to KKBO7, I reminded my self about Waze.

Anyhow, cruising along the slow lane of an empty A38, Penny suddenly announced that there was a broken down car obstructing the carriageway around the next bend. Sure enough, I just had time to wake up, mirror, signal and pull out before we reached said car with the occupants clustered around it on the verge.

That's the incredible power of Waze !!

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Damon Daybreak 3270
RV Experience
5 happy years Picking up Bits
Our snooper does take us off the motorway then back on again at the same junction. Also recently tried to take us through the center of London even though the motorways were clear:wondering::wondering::wondering:.

Steve Martin

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A
Model
Monaco Knight 30' twin slide Diesel
RV Experience
Not enough to get the T-shirt
Anyhow, cruising along the slow lane of an empty A38, Penny suddenly announced that there was a broken down car obstructing the carriageway around the next bend. Sure enough, I just had time to wake up, mirror, signal and pull out before we reached said car with the occupants clustered around it on the verge.
I would say Penny has always had these clairvoyant powers, you just need to let the 'force be with you' :)

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Georgie Boy Cruisemaster Elite
RV Experience
Since 2015
I tried Waze on your recommendation and it was amazing. I avoided virtually stationary traffic on the A146 on my way home and made it back on time. The best bit was when it took me back across the blocked main road at a staggered junction and onto a lane running parallel with no traffic on it. The look on the other drivers faces when I zipped across and kept going was priceless. I am surprised some didn't follow me :happy:

Member No
RV Type
Diesel Pusher
Model
Safari Trek, Tiffin Allegro Bus, Safari Cheetah
RV Experience
Still learning........everyday
Used WAZE quite a bit, but found it a bit flaky. It's good for journeys but tended to give up when used all day, so still had to have the TomTom as a backup. Probably down to the phone op system. But a great idea, real time social media navigation

Back