Santanderand ferry access

Member No
RV Type
Luxury Euro Box, 9.2 metres
Model
Neismann & Bischoff Flair 920LF
RV Experience
Since 2011
We are booked on to cross to Santander on the 22nd April returning on the 4th July, and I have been reading that large lorrys and vehicles are not allowed throygh the town and they have to access the ferry port by a separate access. Does anyone have experience of boarding in Santander and specifically did they use the lorry route in?

This is the freight instructions:-
"
Directions

The freight access to the Port of Santander has recently been changed owing to freight vehicle movement and parking restrictions within the city.
Santander is accessed from east or west via the A8. From Madrid via the A1, A68 & A8 and from Barcelona via the A2, A68 & A8.
On approaching Santander on the motorway, drivers must follow the signs for 'Puerto de Raos' (not those for the 'ferry' as these are only for car drivers and will take you to the city centre where lorries are prohibited and drivers may be fined).
Once at the Puerto de Raos, access to the freight compound of the Port area can be made. Final access is made to the Ferry Port, place of departure, via a lifting bridge within the port area. This bridge is available to freight traffic during ferry turnaround times

Thanks

Michael

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Hymer
RV Experience
Since 2005
Thanks Michael, its one of those changes that strangers would not be aware of. we are headed for the ferry tomorrow so will follow those instructions.
When we disembarked we did drive out through the town which is quite congested , I can see the problem they must have with hgvs

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Hymer
RV Experience
Since 2005
Having followed the route into the Ferry as suggested , it did not work and the guy at the truck entrance instructed me to follow the signs through the town to the car entrance of the ferry, which I did with no problem .

old mo

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
Low Profile "Majestic"..
Model
RV Experience
Years & Years
Having followed the route into the Ferry as suggested , it did not work and the guy at the truck entrance instructed me to follow the signs through the town to the car entrance of the ferry, which I did with no problem .

So I read it that we take the normal ferry route through the town/city that we have for many years.. ????

And follow the "Ferry" signs.. :thumbup:

We have never encountered any problems going the old route..

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Hymer
RV Experience
Since 2005
So I read it that we take the normal ferry route through the town/city that we have for many years.. ????

And follow the "Ferry" signs.. :thumbup:

We have never encountered any problems going the old route..

Seems that way Mo, they certainly would not accept other than lorries at the lorry entrance and I saw no indication of any restriction along the indicated route through town:001_smile:

Member No
RV Type
Luxury Euro Box, 9.2 metres
Model
Neismann & Bischoff Flair 920LF
RV Experience
Since 2011
I spoke with Brit Ferries, they say that there are changes about to happen and I am to ring them before I leave in April for the latest, apparantly the whole access is being "remodeled"

Sorry to have sent you off on a goose chase but having read the port instructions I was trying to clarify how the Spainish interpreted RV's:blink:

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Hymer
RV Experience
Since 2005
I spoke with Brit Ferries, they say that there are changes about to happen and I am to ring them before I leave in April for the latest, apparantly the whole access is being "remodeled"

Sorry to have sent you off on a goose chase but having read the port instructions I was trying to clarify how the Spainish interpreted RV's:blink:

No problem Michael, we had lots of time and it is clear for the moment for anyone reading this post

regards Larry

Back