Member No
RV Type
A Class RV
Model
Safari Trek 31SBD
RV Experience
5 years
Hi
We are off to Portugal via the Portsmouth Santander ferry 9 Feb, hope the crossing is OK! The route out of Santander as recommended by Brittany Ferries uses the tunnel and goes past the Silver whale like sport centre. We have done this route with a caravan before but were wondering on the height of the tunnel for an RV? Has anyone been this way with an RV? The rest of our route via Salamanca and Seville should be new motorway most of the way but its just this early bit we're a bit twitchy about.
Thanks for your help.

G

graham&sue

Don't bother with the route that Brittany Ferries recommend, it is just to help relieve the traffic through the town when the ship docks.
If you go all the way round the roundabout at the exit from the port, you will go down a 3 or 4 lane one way street and will be out of the town in about half a mile (just sit in the second lane and you won't have to keep moving out for double parked cars).
I spoke to a truck driver who does the route every week, who advised us that there is no problem with clearance under the tunnel, but it is a long way round, I followed his advice and we were through the town and out the other side quicker than getting as far as the tunnel.

Member No
RV Type
A Class RV
Model
Safari Trek 31SBD
RV Experience
5 years
Exit from Santander Ferry for 12ft vehicle

I seem to remember that the exit for cars/caravans from the Santander ferry makes you go under a concrete exit way arch. Is this the way MH of 12ft or so leave as well or do you go out the HGV exit? Starting to panic as we're travelling on Sunday, hope the Bay is reasonably calm:001_rolleyes:

G

graham&sue

I seem to remember going through an archway. It was obviously very high as I can only vaguely remember it, you then drive down the opposite side of a building and come out directly onto the roundabout (plenty of room).

If you are unsure just go slowly and don't be rushed by ANYONE. Just remember that everyone wants to get you off the ship and on your way asap to keep to the timetable.

Do it at your own pace and don't be rushed!

Have a good holiday.

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Newmar Mountain Aire
RV Experience
I seem to remember going through an archway. It was obviously very high as I can only vaguely remember it, you then drive down the opposite side of a building and come out directly onto the roundabout (plenty of room).

If you are unsure just go slowly and don't be rushed by ANYONE. Just remember that everyone wants to get you off the ship and on your way asap to keep to the timetable.

Do it at your own pace and don't be rushed!

Have a good holiday.

:biggrin: Also, make sure you do not get stopped by the Police/Guardia with your TOAD. :thumbup:

Member No
RV Type
A Class RV
Model
Safari Trek 31SBD
RV Experience
5 years
Back from Spain

Hi All
No problem with the height of the 'bridge' as mentioned in Santander. Thanks for tip about ignoring the advice from Brittany Ferries, sailed through, slowly, as the roads were clogged but much easier than going the long way round. Very bumpy crossing on the way over on the Pont Aven and had to come back on Cap Finistere. Had heard horror stories of RV's made to turn around and go down ramps on the Cap Finistere, but the 'loader' sensibly put us and a diesel pusher RV on the HGV deck and we were first back off in Portmouth after a great crossing. Great trip down to Portugal on the new A67 motorway. Found LPG at Salamanca but needed the new Euro fitting.

Tip:
When we got back home we had the inside of the Acme fitting for the 'house' LPG tank threaded so that we can mate up the ACME and Euro fitting to fill the 'house' tank up in garages using the new Euro fitting in the future. As it was, we had to fill up the house tank in Portugal at one price then drive 20 mins down the road into Spain to get the main LPG tanks filled at a cheaper price (72cents). Done at a local expert old fashioned metalwork business(not many of them left). Cost me two bottles of Port! Tinley Tech wanted to charge us £48 to supply two fittings (which we already had) with the screw thread to attach one to the other.

Member No
RV Type
A Class RV
Model
Safari Trek 31SBD
RV Experience
5 years
Spain Beware motorcyle cops

Also, forgot to mention that motorcycle cops patrol the main motorways in pairs to enforce the new speed limit. We certainly found that it made the Spanish road safer and we don't have a TOAD, just a motorcycle on a rack, so no problmes there.:thumbup:

Back