Member No
RV Type
Gulfstream C Class
Model
Conquest Classic
RV Experience
Newbies
Morning all!

We are currently in Southern Spain and are thinking of making our first trip over to Portugal next month as some friends of ours are staying in a villa in Vilamoura.

Firstly does anyone know of any decent camping stops (sites or aires) near to Vilamoura (I've seen there is a site at Quarteira but the reviews aren't very good), and secondly do we need to do anything in advance about toll roads as I understand they operate differently in Portugal?

Cheers!

sundowner

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A class
Model
Neismann+Bischoff Flair 2.8 Iveco
RV Experience
47 years on and off with various travelling vehicles
Hi
If you want to use the toll roads you can get a thing to put in the windscreen called a transponder, I am told that they are available at main road borders, ( we don't use main roads much, and have never seen where they are sold)
If you don't have a transponder you can go into a 'pay station' and pay after a couple of days. These pay stations are everywhere and include post offices and a lot of bars, just ask.
We accidentally got on a toll road on an airport run but the local post office has no record of it, so we can't pay!!!.
The second class roads are much better than they used to be, so imho, unless you are in a real hurry you have no need to use toll roads!!
In general, stopping in the Algarve is not as free and easy as it used to be, but I know some on RVOC do spend some time there, so you should get some up to date info on places to stop.
LPG is much more expensive in Portugal than Spain so fill up before you leave, LPG is easy to get in portugal, (the dish adapter seems the most common) we do know that in Boliquieme n37deg 07.692" w8deg09.568" just of the n125 they will fill anything and have lots of adapters.
If you get to stay at Silves ask about the Motorhome menu (prata de dia) at the place near the castle, don't go there with your motorhome it's all a bit medieval!!
It's been a bit wet in Portugal lately but should be nice when you expect to be there!!!!
Nigel & Pamala

Member No
RV Type
Gulfstream C Class
Model
Conquest Classic
RV Experience
Newbies
Hi
If you want to use the toll roads you can get a thing to put in the windscreen called a transponder, I am told that they are available at main road borders, ( we don't use main roads much, and have never seen where they are sold)
If you don't have a transponder you can go into a 'pay station' and pay after a couple of days. These pay stations are everywhere and include post offices and a lot of bars, just ask.
We accidentally got on a toll road on an airport run but the local post office has no record of it, so we can't pay!!!.
The second class roads are much better than they used to be, so imho, unless you are in a real hurry you have no need to use toll roads!!
In general, stopping in the Algarve is not as free and easy as it used to be, but I know some on RVOC do spend some time there, so you should get some up to date info on places to stop.
LPG is much more expensive in Portugal than Spain so fill up before you leave, LPG is easy to get in portugal, (the dish adapter seems the most common) we do know that in Boliquieme n37deg 07.692" w8deg09.568" just of the n125 they will fill anything and have lots of adapters.
If you get to stay at Silves ask about the Motorhome menu (prata de dia) at the place near the castle, don't go there with your motorhome it's all a bit medieval!!
It's been a bit wet in Portugal lately but should be nice when you expect to be there!!!!
Nigel & Pamala

Many thanks for the info, we don't usually use toll roads but may do so on this occasion due to time constraints.

Steve Martin

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A
Model
Monaco Knight 30' twin slide Diesel
RV Experience
Not enough to get the T-shirt
If you are entering Portugal on an Electronic Toll ie from Sevilla, you should register a card at a booth then whenever you past an electronic pay booth it deducts money from your card. I have heard of people ignoring this completely and driving blissfully through Portugal without paying. :angel:

nickpullum

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A class
Model
Damon Escaper
RV Experience
Yes and if the booth isn’t working you can get a prepaid card at the post office. October 2016 when we came through the police were advising that the booth was broken, we got a €40 one from CTT it’s still valid until March I think and it should just get us back out of Portugal. You register your vehicle registration to the card by text and then can keep up to date with how much you’ve spent on the toll site.

sundowner

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A class
Model
Neismann+Bischoff Flair 2.8 Iveco
RV Experience
47 years on and off with various travelling vehicles
If you enter portugal on the a22??toll in portugal----- you can come off at the first exit without being on a toll section

Back