Peage. French tolls, what do the charge for an 8 ton RV

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Gulfstream Sunvoyager 8292
RV Experience
Since 2008
I am planning our second trip to France & we haven't even been on our first!! :laugh:

For our first trip we are going to be staying in and around brittany, but for our second trip we will be going to La Grave in the french alps and I'm trying to go some costings.:001_rolleyes:

Could somebody tell me how much the french tolls(Peage) cost?

Thanks,:thumbup:

Andy

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Hymer B644
RV Experience
lost count
RVs are Class 3 , Class 4 with a toad or trailer .. and they are costly, but often worth it to save time and hassle going through towns and villages ..but I use them sparingly, if a good N route is available I use it..

If you go to Via Michelin you can plan a route and it will give you the toll charges..

Jim

Member No
RV Type
C Class
RV Experience
since 2002
We get charged at class 4 , we are well over 10 tone and almost always towing as well:blink:

FrenchWeightClasses.jpg

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
RV Experience
Since 2008
Thanks Everybody. :thumbup:

Used the web site Olley posted and did the calculations based on a minibus to give a paige price of 103 euro's compared to 65 euro's for my car.

I thought (and dreaded) it would be a lot more. :001_smile:

Thanks,

Andy

Olley

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A
Model
Winnebago Brave 31'
RV Experience
Hi just out of curiosity I checked Calais-San Sabastian tolls for a 12ton HGV, €157 ouch! its not that much dearer than before except for the crap exchange rate. :sad:

Hi Andy you may get away with minibus but I wouldn't bank on it.

Olley

Last edited:
Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
RV Experience
Since 2008
"Hi just out of curiosity I checked Calais-San Sabastian tolls for a 12ton HGV, €157 ouch! "

Out of interest Olley where did you get this price?

According to the chart that Jim posted I'm a catagory 3 based on my Rv being over 3.5 ton (just!!!) and only having two axles (front and back). Is that the web site you used for your toll calculation?

Cheers

Andy

Olley

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A
Model
Winnebago Brave 31'
RV Experience
Hi Andy on mappy I chose "Lorry" and "lorry max weight -12ton" which I think will give you the right price, looking back to 07 when I last went this route it was around £100 in tolls, but the exchange rate was much better. So I think €157 sounds about right to me allowing for inflation.

Olley

Last edited:
Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
RV Experience
Since 2008
Thanks Olley,
I'll budget for your price and hope it's the price I've worked out (there is no picture of a motorhome for class 4 on the chart Jim posted and we wont have a trailer AND I'll have my fingers crossed!! :wink: ).

Out of interest what is the transilation of "Wyrd bid ful araed"? google gave me these two:-
'Fate is relentless' or "Destiny is everything" :001_rolleyes:

Cheers,

Andy

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Hymer B644
RV Experience
lost count
Out of interest what is the transilation of "Wyrd bid ful araed"? google gave me these two:-
'Fate is relentless' or "Destiny is everything" :001_rolleyes:

Glad you asked, I thought Olley was just a bad speller.. :lol::lol::lol:

Olley

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A
Model
Winnebago Brave 31'
RV Experience
Hi andy its from a Bernard Cornwall series of books "The Saxon stories", he says the closest he could get was "Fate is relentless" but either seems good to me.

I rather liked it, and it may give the mistaken impression that I am clever, instead of a thicky from Suffolk. :lol::lol:

Olley

J

Jimmy Proton

French highway robbery

Hello folks, the official autoroute site is at Association des sociétés françaises d’autoroute › ASFA

It will not optimise your route though. We have just returned from spain (Murcia) and it gives a good idea what to expect.

Sometimes I have got away with class 2 (motorhome) but only after remonstrating with the ticketeer. Worth learning a few words of french just for that!

We were towing a little car this time and it's not always spotted! If they do spot it it's always class 4 (ouch)

rgds

jimmy

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
RV Experience
Since 2008
Jimmy do you have any suggestions of french phrases worth learning?:biggrin:
Something along these lines that "I have been informed by the authorities that this motorhome vehicle is a Class 2? 3? etc" :001_rolleyes:

Olley are there any Saxon phrases worth knowing for when we venture into Suffolk? :lol:

Thanks,
Andy

J

Jimmy Proton

French peage words

Sorry to take so long to reply, but I forgot my log on name was two words and couldn't get in!

Try:

SVP madame/monsieur (or)

excusez-moi madame/monsieur mais on nous a dit que nous sommes dans la classe deux.
c'est seulement une camping car, peut-être un peu grand, mais suelment une camping car.

If you please (or) excuse me mme/mons but we have been told that we are in class 2. It is only a motorhome, perhaps a large one, but only a motorhome.

almost literal translation.

I suppose we had a 50% success rate, which was pretty good as we were towing an aixam car and should have been definitely in class 4.

Back