Overnight on French motorways

T

Toffs-rv

Hi,

we are off to Italy in a few weeks time :biggrin: and just planning our route etc

i am sure staying in Motorway aire de service areas have been covered on here at some point but cannot find any threads and would like peoples opinions do you ro dont you?

I have driven through in the middle of the night and seen a number fo Motorhomes and RV's parked up overnight but are they just lucky if nothing happens?

Grateful for opinions:thumbup:
Thanks
Gary and Cathy

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Gulfstream Sunvoyager 8292
RV Experience
Since 2008
Only done it twice and We didn't have any problems. :thumbup:

BUT I did sleep fully clothed, I didn't use the slide outs, I ensured we had an exit strategy & I did have a dog....just in case!!

A little paranoia goes a long way :001_rolleyes:

Member No
RV Type
nothing
Model
nothing
RV Experience
nothing
Hi,

we are off to Italy in a few weeks time :biggrin: and just planning our route etc

i am sure staying in Motorway aire de service areas have been covered on here at some point but cannot find any threads and would like peoples opinions do you ro dont you?

I have driven through in the middle of the night and seen a number fo Motorhomes and RV's parked up overnight but are they just lucky if nothing happens?

Grateful for opinions:thumbup:
Thanks
Gary and Cathy

hi there

parked in aires and had no trouble, parked on services at soumosous France ( dont know if thats spelt right spelling not my forta) on a main toll road under lights and got partially broken into woke us up and we scared them off 3 of them not a pleasant time in the middle of the night, parked with the wagons before no problem, personally i always sleep with one eye open all the time when travelling i think most of the time its okay just use your head and have a good look round were ever you are, happy travelling all the best stay safe Marion + Pete:biggrin::biggrin:

Frank550

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
C Class
Model
Gulfstream Conquest-V10 Triton
RV Experience
12 years
The further south in France you go the more likely you are to encounter trouble. Some basic precautions go a long way.

Park with other vehicles, make sure windows are secured as well as doors, make sure the area is well lit, try to speak to any attendant if youre at a petrol stn CP, be vigilant these s****s hunt in gangs.

Gypsy gangs do roam in the areas of the south esp nr Marseille.

I always carry "mug" money in a separate pocket from my money and cards. Better to lose a few Euros than the lot!

The likelihood of encountering problems is slight, be vigilant and you will have a great time I'm sure

Cheers

Member No
RV Type
A class pusher
Model
Damon Challenger 348 MTL
RV Experience
Hi most towns and villages have "aire de service" parks for camping cars which are very safe and not far from the motorway system. You will find that through the night the Gendarme will visit 2 or 3 times to check on things. Most of the problems occur on the autoroute stations because the thieves have a good getaway route and you come to them. if you are on the normal road system the thieves have to find you.Have a good trip

T

Toffs-rv

Thanks all

I think we will just play it safe and book campsites

First night Troyes second Grenoble then on to Lake Garda - can't wait:thumbup:

This is the trip we tried to do last year but had to turn back cause my dad died

Cheers
Gary

Frank550

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
C Class
Model
Gulfstream Conquest-V10 Triton
RV Experience
12 years
Hope you have a great time, and let us know how you get on. I want to head to Italy next year so your experiences would be useful to us and others I'm sure

Cheers

Frank

T

Toffs-rv

Hope you have a great time, and let us know how you get on. I want to head to Italy next year so your experiences would be useful to us and others I'm sure

Cheers

Frank

Thanks Frank

Will do, first time to italy for us and our first long trip in the RV always been relatively short weekend trips so far

Cheers:thumbup:
Gary and Cathy

S

sloberdoberbob

I avoid the motorway areas

Gary I avoid the motorway areas and head off the main routes..seems safer to me. Saw a dutch caravan a few years ago get robber - distraction robbery. They went for them as our RV was parked in a position they could not get to as easy. But they had all there money (womans bag was in the foot well of the motor home). But never had a problem anywhere in the world... just use common sense.

Have a good trip Gary

Bob:thumbup:

T

Toffs-rv

Gary I avoid the motorway areas and head off the main routes..seems safer to me. Saw a dutch caravan a few years ago get robber - distraction robbery. They went for them as our RV was parked in a position they could not get to as easy. But they had all there money (womans bag was in the foot well of the motor home). But never had a problem anywhere in the world... just use common sense.

Have a good trip Gary

Bob:thumbup:

Yep we are just going to play it safe and book campsites no need asking for trouble, mind you have bought a beware of the dog sticker for the door:lol:

Have found a campsite one in Troyes and one in Grenoble have sent emails today so hope they have space etc. Going round Switzerland rather than through it as there seems to be some confusion as to whether Cathy's schengen visa is accepted or she needs to get a swiss visa so bugger them we'll go round dont need the agro at the border.

Have booked the tunnel for the evening of the 5th August, staying at the calais aire as we did when we went to Brugge, Caxton Card all loaded up, Camping Butterfly confirmed on Lake Garda and taking Cathy holiday clothes shopping this afternoon :crying:

so hopefully all is on track:thumbup:

Cheers
Gary

Member No
RV Type
Class A
Model
NEWMAR DUTCHSTAR 3865
RV Experience
Caravanning for 20 years..RVing since March 08.. Living the DREAM
Thanks all

This is the trip we tried to do last year but had to turn back cause my dad died

Cheers
Gary

We did Lake garda a few years ago, in the caravan, it was a fantastic journey down, we went iv via Austria and the Brenner (excuse the spelling) Pass, what fantastic views, and came back via Switzerland which was also breathtaking, oh and we stopped on the service stations there and back, no problems for us.

I am soooooo jealouse...ENJOY. Sue

R

RVUSA

Thanks all

Cheers
Gary

Hi Gary

There are lots of aires and most people put them into two categories. Ones that are on autoroutes and ones which are not.

Some people have experienced problems on the autoroute ones, but the ones off the autoroutes are safe and cheap (if not free).

If you don't have a copy, get 'All The Aires In France' for a good description of facilities and distance to town/ village etc.

As for autoroute aires I have stayed on them without problem, but it's easy to avoid them and hence not worth risking it unless you have to.

Have a good trip!

Member No
RV Type
A class pusher
Model
Damon Challenger 348 MTL
RV Experience
Hi we visited Italy last Sept following the coast from Monaco down as far as Genova,in a 37 ft Rv. It was a nightmare! very narrow roads ,scooters everywhere and very few sostas (stopping places) The views were terrific because the road is hanging off the side of the mountains. The road was either 45deg up or45 deg down, hairpin bends with 3 metre high walls both sides . I would go again tomorrow but it was too much for my wife. The motorway back was all tunnels and bridges and many of the exits have a max of 8 metres. Very interesting but hard work.:thumbup::thumbup:

Last edited:
P

PeteH

Continental toll roads?

Hi

The THEORY is that the aires on toll roads are safer because the scroats won`t pay to access the roads. and the police are more likely to patrol them?

Never had a problem in several years transiting France/Spain. Basic common sense, park with others under lights etc;. We did not have a dog BUT a large "doggy" water dish and a Heavy chain attached to the step, might have discouraged any un-welcome "Guest"s?

pete

Bicester Oxfordshire. email warouk@hotmail.co.uk
Member No
RV Type
Eurobox
Model
Frankia I8000
RV Experience
since 26.11.09.
The further south in France you go the more likely you are to encounter trouble. Some basic precautions go a long way.

Park with other vehicles, make sure windows are secured as well as doors, make sure the area is well lit, try to speak to any attendant if youre at a petrol stn CP, be vigilant these s****s hunt in gangs.

Gypsy gangs do roam in the areas of the south esp nr Marseille.

I always carry "mug" money in a separate pocket from my money and cards. Better to lose a few Euros than the lot!

The likelihood of encountering problems is slight, be vigilant and you will have a great time I'm sure

Cheers
I always carry a second wallet filled with old credit cards, and all types of expired payment cards and some cash in case i get mugged, better to give it to them and they will be gone with useless cards and a little cash, and when in RV, leave it on the front dash that can only be seen if someone enters the RV and confronts you and you have no escape, so hopefully they will see or you can tell show them so they can grab the wallet and be away???, glad i have never had to put it to the test thou. Regards Garry flatpackchicken

Back