Our Lake Garda Trip

T

Toffs-rv

This was our first major trip in the RV since buying it in December 2010, we had only had days out and long weekends away.

We set off on Friday the 5th August at around 3pm, although we had booked a much later Eurotunnel we know in general that if you turn up early they will get you on if they can. Route to the tunnel was plain sailing and the tunnel surprisingly wasn’t very busy so we were on the next train.

We decided not go into the Calais Auchan as on our way to Paris in February when we stopped there we came out to find an undesirable trying to affix himself to the underside of the RV, mind you he obviously thought that we were going home at that point so would have had a rude awakening getting off in Paris.

So we headed for the Auchan at St Omer on the road south. Arrived a little late but managed to get everything we needed and then make for the Aire from the all the aires book which is near Arque of Crystal D’Arque fame. Well lucky I have the dimensions of the RV on the sun visor as there was a low bridge on the route to the Aire and couldn’t see any way around it so we decided that we would head back to the auto route and stop off in a petrol service area for that night.

Making sure we got onto the toll bit first, working on the principle that criminals are less likely to pay a toll to rob us (hopefully). We pulled up amongst the trucks and had a good night’s sleep.

We did the same the next evening and found a great service area that had a new free camping car service stand with manhole cover for Black waste as well as fresh water etc, so availed ourselves of the service, sadly en route there weren’t too many of them.

Weather wasn’t brilliant most of the way down. We decided due to the uncertainly over my wife’s schengen visa through Switzerland that we would go the longer way round entering Italy via the Mont Blanc Tunnel, neither of us had ever been through it so it was an opportunity in itself.

Arriving at the Mont Blanc there was a queue running up to the tunnel as they only let so many vehicles seemingly through at a time. Euro48 later we were in the tunnel, just over 11Km. Coming out of the tunnel it is an hour or so of constant downhill and one tunnel after another, have to say by the end of the long haul down we were a little over tunnelled and getting somewhat fed up with them. Scenery on the Italian side wasn’t in our opinion as good as on the French side but that could also have something to do with the fact that it was raining, getting late, we were tired and looking for another service area to stop in.

We passed numerous service areas, however taking the advice of others from the forum of 'if it doesn’t feel right don’t', we didnt and bypassed many as the towns in the area looked ropey and rough and just not very nice places to stop. So as we continued on we eventually found another service area and pulled in amongst the trucks, however by about 8:30pm or so they had all buggered off and we were the only ones left in what was a small and what then became not a nice service area so we decided to head off and very pleased we did. As when we joined the main motorway that would take us to lake Garda there was fantastic service area with motorhome point and we stayed there for the night.

We had booked Camping Butterfly in Peschiera del Garda for 10 nights, it is important to note that I had specifically asked them if they could take a 9.7m camping car. No problem they said – excellent.

We arrived and advised where our pitch would be. Turn right then left then left again and at the end. The entrance road looked tight but was assured we could get through and indeed we did with at least a ¼ inch to spare on either side, this was not boding well. We turned right, no problem, we turned left slight problem, WE COULD NOT TURN LEFT AGAIN. There was a Dutch guy in a caravan saying I doubt you will get on the pitch. I had a wander down and indeed even if we could get down there, no way would we fit. So I called the reception and the woman came down and said follow me to a pitch that can take us. Well as we drove up I asked the question, what makes you think that this will fit on there? A blank look came over her, by this time being tired etc I was getting rather angry. Anyway the upshot was they didn’t have a pitch and please note if considering, Butterfly cannot take anything over about 8m I reckon and even then at a push it is extremely tight. And personally would not consider it with anything bigger than an average Eurobox.

As you can imagine I couldn’t turn round and by now we were well in to the campsite, so had to reverse all the way out, which to say the least was entertaining but in true camping style there was always someone to help out at various points to see us our nose round, as well as Cathy walking backwards all the way out. We got to reception and having said I want my Euro100 deposit back felt that this was going to be an issue. So I ensured the RV blocked the gate at the reception. Lucky I did as when I asked for my deposit I was told, I would like to but the office is closed, yeah right. I don’t believe you I said. Bear in mind there is a sign on the reception counter stating all payments in cash only I felt sure they had some available. so i said i can wait until hell freezes over if you wish.

By now a few cars had turned up and wanted to get in and one wanted to get out. I stated that it is up to reception as soon as I get my deposit I will be gone, one guy wasn’t happy but then I wasn’t about to lose my deposit and whilst I had blocked the gate I had the upper hand. Well what a surprise all of a sudden a cash draw is opened in front of the woman (without going into the ffice) and I get paid by deposit there and then.

Of course the car behind then decided he was going to block me in with his Mondeo, but edging closer to his bumper with 6.4mt of RV certainly changed his mind and I was in the mood to nudge him as I had the tow ball on; but it didnt come to that.

So now we have the dilemma, where the hell are we going to find availability in the middle of the school holidays, I got the ACSI book out called the first one, no space, OH hell we thought this is not going to be easy, called the second Camping Wien just a few minutes around the lake on the other side of Peschiera and yes they said no problem, I confirmed 3 times that they could take a 9.7m camping car, no problem I was told, and she was right, they don’t mark their pitches out they have long strips of land under the trees so could take anything.

We were shown to our pitch and away we go, that night however there were a group of young Dutch that kept us awake until midnight, next day asked the maintenance guy, who I must say works his backside off, and asked about dumping waste and filling up etc. They didn’t get the concept of a motorhome not having a cassette toilet and very kindly found us a pitch a stones through away from the dump point and with a fresh water tape a hose pipe away from the pitch, great.

What I will say though is the shower block is a little tired but OK, hot water was an issue mind.

Restaurant is good with great views across the lake and there are other cafes and restaurants nearby either out on the main road or along the lake. The campsite also has a very nice swimming pool and a well stocked shop serving fresh bread every day and there is also a good little supermarket within easy walking distance and a larger one 5 minutes drive up the road.

Lake Garda and specifically Peschiera del Garda is a great place to holiday, convenient to Venice by train as it is on the main Milan to Venice line and easy to Verona by bus. We hired a boat on the lake which was Euro50 for 2 hours and quite a powerful little boat it was too.

On the return journey we decided that we would take a chance with going through Switzerland. We headed up through the hills to Como and entered Switzerland without being checked at all so that was plain sailing. Conscious of needing to pay the Swiss tolls we stopped at a service station we were assured that we only needed a vignette, I pointed to the vehicle told them what size and weight it was but they insisted we only needed a vignette, so I thought if it is wrong better to have paid for the wrong thing as an intent to get it right rather than not paying at all.

I had thought when we filled up on the way to Como that the RV was feeling a bit sluggish and when we went to drive off from the services the brake pedal was extremely spongy and breaks evidently binding.

Oh bugger!! - just as well we have our insurance through safeguard with the continental break down cover and then the fun started, a couple of hours later we were gingerly following a van that had come out form the local Renault truck garage in Lugano. They got it over the inspection pit and sure as eggs are eggs the rear brakes were binding and judging by the brake fluid which had always been black and the almighty cracks through the pads they had been binding ever since we had the RV – not happy but happy nothing serious had happened before. So we ended up camping out at the truck garage for 2 nights whilst they got new pads. Actually the garage was excellent, Augostini in Lugano they ensured we had fresh water, electricity and conveniently there was a small supermarket on the industrial site so not the worst place to break down and because the parts would not turn up until Saturday they opened specifically on the Saturday to get us on our way I can't fault them at all they were brilliant. Mind you £1300 later it wasn't the cheapest 2 nights we've ever had.

We set off for the Alps and certainly as well we broke down before we got to the Alps especially as we had been contemplating going over the St Gothard pass (with breaks like that OMG).

As expected the Alps were stunning and the RV was running like a dream further proof that the brakes had always been binding. We decided that we would just go for it as we had lost a day and needed to get back.

Expecting to have to stop at the Swiss / French border we were surprised that we just fell into France with no Schengen or Vignette checks.

Remaining journey was uneventful and it was a relief to get home.

Cheers
Gary and Cathy

Member No
RV Type
None at this time
RV Experience
Since 2011
Hi,
Thanks for the report. Very interesting. We are planning such a trip next year. Always good to hear from some one who has done it although our plan include going via friends in the South of France.

Dave and Sandie :thumbup::thumbup:

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Winnebago Journey 34'
RV Experience
Since 2009
You were right not to go via the Gothard tunnel. Done it twice now, and the thought of doing it with dodgy brakes is frightening indeed.

T

Toffs-rv

You were right not to go via the Gothard tunnel. Done it twice now, and the thought of doing it with dodgy brakes is frightening indeed.

When we were queueing at the tunnel and could see the road going over the pass we were both grateful for the break down otherwise that could have been that:blink:

Doesn't warrant thinking about coming down the other side and the breaks going - sends me cold:blink:

Back