Off to France

M

motorvating

We are off to france for 3.5 weeks on the 2nd Juky, and will be using Sea France from Dover this year due to the fare of £80 for four people return.

We have a 08:15 ferry departure, so need to get up early, so will travel down the evening before.

Does anybody know somewher cheap to stay for the night in the local area?

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Hymer
RV Experience
Since 2005
We normally stay on the cclub site at folkestone, not cheap but convenient. Have a good trip :thumbup: we are off to france early July when we have the new rv but can't book as collection date uncertain :001_smile:

B

billyfreda

Overnight stop

Try Broadhembury Farm, its 5 minutes off the M20, its a caravan and motorhome site.
The address is in Steeds Lane, Kingsnorth, Ashford, Kent, TN26 1NQ

Billyfreda

A

ashy

Parking

You can park on the seafront at dover,we have stayed thre a couple of times.ashy

M

motorvating

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

I am thinking of avoiding the tolls as much as possible when we drive through France. I'm thinbking of driving from calais to Rouen, Evreux, Chartres to Orleans, and then down the A20 N20 to Toulouse.

Does anybody know what the A20 N20 is like to drive?

W

waxy

A20

Hi
I used to drive an artic down that route., not a bad road maybe a bit of a climb and you will need good brakes going down the other side towards montaubon So go easy on them. There are a couple of good routiers along the way. I last drove down there about 15 years ago , so it may have improved since then.

M

motorvating

Hi
I used to drive an artic down that route., not a bad road maybe a bit of a climb and you will need good brakes going down the other side towards montaubon So go easy on them. There are a couple of good routiers along the way. I last drove down there about 15 years ago , so it may have improved since then.

I hear it is mostly dual carriagway all the way, but I am confused as there seems to be a 50 50 split on the best way to do the journey:sad::sad:

W

waxy

Hi
The A20/N20 would be your most direct route or you could go via Anglouleme wich would be a few km more but less of a climb and possibly better for fuel economy. Having said that, the last time I took that route A20 there was only a short bit of duel carrageway at the start and at the end near Montaubon

Olley

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A
Model
Winnebago Brave 31'
RV Experience
Hi we came back Orleans, Chartres, Evreux, Rouen a couple of years back, and its not a route I would go again unless I was just meandering along, lots of traffic, and hold ups at each town or village you go through.

olley

M

motorvating

We arrrived back yesterday after a gruelling three day journey with our 7 year old grandson who had never been abroad before.

On the way down to Dover we stopped at the motorhome home stop next to the stop and ride at Canterbury. This was very good, and will defo use again, and Canterbury is a great place to visit.

To avoid some French tolls we went from Calais to Orleans vior Rouen and down the N154. I found this route to be much better then going around Paris, and was quicker, and there was more opportunity to stop and eat, and of course cheaper fuel.

Once north of Orleans we used the motorway to Clermont Ferrand, and then the toll free motorway (A75) to the med and spent 100E on tolls, including the Millau Duct both ways. Last year I went vior Paris on the motorways and spent around 300E on tolls and the Millau Duct.

We did an overnight stop on a 24/7 aires half way between Orleans and Clermont Ferrand which was abruptly ended as a mother of all rain storms soaked us as we had the roof vents open and water cascaded ontop of us (grrrr) so as we now had wet bedding we decided to carry on to drive out of the storm. The storm and us was something like the wacky races as we seemed to have this dark cloud from Mount Mordor following us for hours down to the A75 as we attempted a race to the sun:biggrin:

A few hours later, and with the sun up, we stopped for breakfast, and so stopped at an aires (picknick aires) as we got out of the RV, my grandson Tom, looked at me with disbelief on his face as he realised how hot it was, and at my un-aclimatised face as it leaked buckets of liquid. When my son told him it was going to get even hotter, he informed us that we was winding him up, as it was not possible to get hotter as we would all melt :laugh:

We arrived at Agde without any problems, unlike last year, but did develope a problem with the water pump that I will have to look at now we are home.

the weather was very hot, but like the the North of Europe it has been prone to storms, but the storms down there are over in a few hours. For three days it was 104 in the shade, and never dropped below 94.

We used £500 of diesel and 100E on tolls using this route, which is a saving of around £170 compared to last year

If I was doing this trip again, I would probably take a ferry nearer to Rouen to reduce some of the driving hours, and always try and use a manned toll booth because we did generally get a reduced class this way.

If anybody is goiung to the South of France soon, stock up on mozzy spray because the wet spring, and winds from the mountains have caused a lot of mozzies this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back