Ireland in the RV

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Winnebago Vista LX 30T
RV Experience
Since August 2013
We’re thinking of a summer holiday around Southern Ireland and wandered if anyone had any tips, thoughts and suggestions.

We’ve got a 35ft RV and I’m generally pretty happy to use it on smaller roads and sites but if Ireland is just like Cornwall then we’ll probably think again.

Cheers, Julian

Member No
RV Type
Presently homeless
RV Experience
maybe 30 years camping with bikes etc but last 5 in RV, old bones and all that. Still do the ocassio
We have a member in the “north” I’m sure will be able to answer,but also we’ve been many times, on bikes to be fair, but would have no problem taking the RV partly as there’s hardly any traffic outside of large towns and Plenty of places to park up.

onan

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Monaco Camelot
RV Experience
Since 2004
I believe Arthur travelled to Eire last year.

Dick and Mo, of the now defunct Big Pitch Guide, toured several years ago and there were plenty of places to stay, although not 5*.

No problem with Cornish roads - just other drivers. Travel from St Ives to Penzance on the bus and enjoy the experience as oncoming cars fail to realise the size of their car and then watch them reverse into the hedge.

tacr2man

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
Overlander 6x6
Model
Bucher Duro
RV Experience
Plenty of tour coaches over there , and as long as you do the Ring of Kerry in the right direction you will be OK , The road to Father Teds house isn't suitable for RV :)

lee and sheryl

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
coachmen mirada 310ds
RV Experience
since 2017
We will monitor this post as we are also thinking of doing Ireland later this year we have been right down to lands end and up to john o groates with no issues so narrow roads no problem for us :)

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Damon Daybreak
RV Experience
None
We did 2.5k miles around Ireland, started in Dublin then headed down into Waterford to visit the Crystal factory, across to cork to kiss the blarney stone then down to the ring of kerry, just to the north of the ring is dingle peninsula, then headed north and over on the Shannon ferry and up towards Galway and round into connemara. Final leg was east across to Enniskillen and then Belfast for the ferry home, all done on a bike but I can definitely say you would have no problem at all in an RV, its a beautiful country with some of the most pleasent people we have ever come across, if you saw my first post on here this is the year we are planning to purchase an RV for full time living and I can assure you will will definitely be back to Ireland in the RV.

Member No
RV Type
Presently homeless
RV Experience
maybe 30 years camping with bikes etc but last 5 in RV, old bones and all that. Still do the ocassio
Best country in Europe for bikes I agree.
I think the ferry crossing are quite exspensive, but ask “smudger”
His is on Eire plates and goes back once or twice a year, mot etc,think he was using Irish ferries

Gareth62

Life Member
Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Coachmen Mirada 290KS
RV Experience
A lot more than I had in Feb 2018 when I had none.
Will be watching this thread too, as thinking Ireland as well

onan

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Monaco Camelot
RV Experience
Since 2004
Will be able to use an A frame?

tacr2man

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
Overlander 6x6
Model
Bucher Duro
RV Experience
Newgrange is well worth a visit , big car park , and good VFM IMHO
https://www.newgrange.com/

Kilmainham Jail also quite interesting , although might bring bad memories back for some of you :)

Arthur

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Tiffin Phaeton
RV Experience
On our jaunt we were pitched at Redcross Wicklow in a site called River Valley. We initially booked in to Camac Valley just outside Dublin - good access etc but very noisy (motorway & a main N road right beside the site) so we cancelled our booking & did not stay at all.
You need to be switched on on the side roads- tractors, wandering animals, pedestrians & crater type pot holes. Other than that no problem.
I posted a question of where to stay on 'Motorhome Craic' & got a few helpful suggestions including the two I mentioned. We also used Google Earth to have a look at routes.
We were on countless holiday snaps & considered opening & closing times for 'guided audio tours' of the bus as they are a bit unusual over there.
In essence no problems & very accommodating.

Arthur

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Hymer
RV Experience
Since 2005
We toured ROI when we had the RV in the avatar , 30ft + car and a frame , a little bit of planning and no problem other than getting lpg a bit sketchy.

Member No
RV Type
A class
Model
coachmen aurora
RV Experience
Plenty of tour coaches over there , and as long as you do the Ring of Kerry in the right direction you will be OK , The road to Father Teds house isn't suitable for RV :)
Ring of Kerry mega on the motorbike

Back