Heading across the water

Member No
RV Type
Gulfstream C Class
Model
Conquest Classic
RV Experience
Newbies
I am just looking at our options for heading over to France (no specific destination!) in early June (after the Cuckoo Fayre meet!)

I have been looking at crossing via Newhaven as we are staying in Sussex beforehand, but it does seem that the cheaper options are via Dover (not that the cost is a limiting factor), but I wound't want to get caught up in any strikes/Operation Stack etc.

I'm interested in any recommendations/advice/tips anyone may have re ferries etc.

Also has anyone used the Portsmouth options with an RV as when I try and search online they are coming up with that option being unavailable for our vehicle (we are about 11m long)?

Thanks in anticipation!

Irene

stunette

Life Member
Member No
RV Type
A Class
RV Experience
Since 2008
We always go from Dover to Calais using DFDS... Always get a flexi ticket, which costs an extra £20.. but gives you 3 days either side of your sailing that you are booked on.. (y)

sundowner

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A class
Model
Neismann+Bischoff Flair 2.8 Iveco
RV Experience
47 years on and off with various travelling vehicles
We are using the tunnel for the first time this year----very happy--so far------we had to change our return date and only paid the extra for a dearer xing--no booking/penalty charge---------------having said all that I guess you are running on LPG??-----if so, the tunnel is a non starter for you:(
I really don't understand why we can use the tunnel with an LPG tank but a petrol vehicle running on LPG can't even if it's switched it off and run on petrol????
Nigel & Pamala

stunette

Life Member
Member No
RV Type
A Class
RV Experience
Since 2008
We are using the tunnel for the first time this year----very happy--so far------we had to change our return date and only paid the extra for a dearer xing--no booking/penalty charge---------------having said all that I guess you are running on LPG??-----if so, the tunnel is a non starter for you:(
I really don't understand why we can use the tunnel with an LPG tank but a petrol vehicle running on LPG can't even if it's switched it off and run on petrol????
Nigel & Pamala
Are you taking a 'Toad' & if so, how did you go about booking it??

Member No
RV Type
C Class. 30'6"
Model
fourwinds chateau 29r 2006
RV Experience
If i,m not there I should be
Hi Irene,
If your searching for prices online ,and the drop down menus don't stretch to your length , go back and try choosing a car , not a motorhome, then put your length x height in, if still no luck, then as said above you need to telephone for a price,
(y)

Edit ,, just checked A FERRY,, Dover to Calais rtn ,,,,,,3/6/16,,24/6/16 ,,,,,10mtr x4mtr,+ 2 persons,, £194...

Last edited:
Member No
RV Type
C Class
Model
Forest River Sunseeker 3100
RV Experience
Since 2009
Hi Irene.

We used Poole-Cherbourg in December. 10m RV with trailer so 15m total, £274 single. Good large ferry with good facilities. ferry departs morning so we arrived the night before and parked in the lanes. Heated toilets/showers available as well as water and waste disposal.
Enquired by email first and got quoted £339 then someone advised ring poole office direct which I did and they charged the £274. If you've not got a brittany ferries loyalty card someone may give you the code so you can get a discount as well. All above aboard so to speak.

Shawn.

nickpullum

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A class
Model
Damon Escaper
RV Experience
Over the years I've used all the crossings to Europe and none of them are as quick reliable cheap or safe as the tunnel if you're running on derv get on the train

stunette

Life Member
Member No
RV Type
A Class
RV Experience
Since 2008
Over the years I've used all the crossings to Europe and none of them are as quick reliable cheap or safe as the tunnel if you're running on derv get on the train
I have enquired about the tunnel, & got a price that was twice as much as Dover to Calais... What am I doing wrong??

nickpullum

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A class
Model
Damon Escaper
RV Experience
Just had a quick look at prices stunette in June a return is arround 180 and if you pay with tesco reward vouchers it's only £60 choose your times carefully to get the best price plus it's never choppy in the tunnel

Member No
RV Type
Gulfstream C Class
Model
Conquest Classic
RV Experience
Newbies
We always go from Dover to Calais using DFDS... Always get a flexi ticket, which costs an extra £20.. but gives you 3 days either side of your sailing that you are booked on.. (y)

Thanks Stunette, that's worth knowing.

Nigel & Pamala

Thanks Nigel and Pamala and also nickpullem- we are petrol only so may well try the tunnel, though I think Tony is a bit nervous of the width of the RV when driving on and off (and through) the carriage!

Hi Irene,
If your searching for prices online ,and the drop down menus don't stretch to your length , go back and try choosing a car , not a motorhome, then put your length x height in, if still no luck, then as said above you need to telephone for a price,
(y)

Edit ,, just checked A FERRY,, Dover to Calais rtn ,,,,,,3/6/16,,24/6/16 ,,,,,10mtr x4mtr,+ 2 persons,, £194...

Thanks Larry, we may well give that a try, or as you and others have said, just give them a ring.

Hi Irene.

We used Poole-Cherbourg in December. 10m RV with trailer so 15m total, £274 single. Good large ferry with good facilities. ferry departs morning so we arrived the night before and parked in the lanes. Heated toilets/showers available as well as water and waste disposal.
Enquired by email first and got quoted £339 then someone advised ring poole office direct which I did and they charged the £274. If you've not got a brittany ferries loyalty card someone may give you the code so you can get a discount as well. All above aboard so to speak.

Shawn.

Cheers Shawn, it looks like there are lots of options available to us, just need to make a decision now!! :think::think::think::think: Still, if that's the biggest problem I have to worry about, then life's not too bad...!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

stunette

Life Member
Member No
RV Type
A Class
RV Experience
Since 2008
Just had a quick look at prices stunette in June a return is arround 180 and if you pay with tesco reward vouchers it's only £60 choose your times carefully to get the best price plus it's never choppy in the tunnel
Just had a look at the price for the tunnel and the cheapest i can get for a 10m motorhome, toad & 3 dogs return is £469. The dates are September 13 to 22 September..

Member No
RV Type
C Class. 30'6"
Model
fourwinds chateau 29r 2006
RV Experience
If i,m not there I should be
And only two years ago , I paid £48 return , Dover to Calais, Dfds, any size vehicle plus two people , it was a special deal with the caravan club,,
How times have changed, I know that the diesel oil that the ferry uses has gone up , due to them have to use greener fuel, so they pass the price on to us,
We went twice that year , and some even joined the caravan club just to book the ferries ,shame they haven't done any deals like that since,,
(y)

paul&debra

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
a class
Model
Coachmen Mirada
RV Experience
since august 2012
And only two years ago , I paid £48 return , Dover to Calais, Dfds, any size vehicle plus two people , it was a special deal with the caravan club,,
How times have changed, I know that the diesel oil that the ferry uses has gone up , due to them have to use greener fuel, so they pass the price on to us,
We went twice that year , and some even joined the caravan club just to book the ferries ,shame they haven't done any deals like that since,,
(y)
If we vote to leave eu, do we get back our duty free shopping and booze cruises. That should bring down ferry prices.(y):rofl:

Back