French driving rules.....

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Damon Daybreak 27P
RV Experience
Jan 2014
Found this whilst looking for Prorite a Droit rule which I was sure must have been done away with by now though apparently not. How do you cope with this rule when driving in France. Plus there were a few things I was not aware of but what about the items I have highlighted in red

Basic Requirements:

Warning triangles are compulsory - a minimum of one per car.

Headlamps to be adjusted or masked for driving on the right.

Carry your driving licence, insurance certificate, MoT certificate, and registration document. Remember that if you cannot show your driving licence - you will not be permitted to drive in France. Photocopies are not acceptable. Roadside checks for 'Your papers please' are not uncommon - expect the Gendarmes to loiter near any handy bar!

A fluorescent waistcoat or jacket must be carried for each potential passenger - in other words the number of seat belts - one of which must be inside the car for donning before getting out. Being on the hard shoulder or slip roads (including those in service areas) while not wearing one is punishable by a 135 Euro fine.

Remember that on an autoroute of dual carraigeway, in conditions of reduced visibility, such as rain where you need to use the wipers continuously, you are required to put the headlamps on - and the maximum speed limit is reduced by 10 kph.

Also remember that the name sign at entry to any town, village etc acts as a 50 kph / 30 mph limit sign, until you leave the town, when the name sign will have a black line through it - if the 50 kph limit ends there! It may not, so take care.

A yellow diamond-shaped sign at the roadside means you are on a Priority road, and traffic on all junctions should give way to you. This priorite is cancelled at built-up areas by the same sign with a black line through it.

All roads at junctions on non-priorite roads are NOT minor roads - if on your right, they are subject to the Prorite a Droit rule, whereby YOU must give way to traffic on your right. Always be prepared to give way, but do not assume it for yourself unless the traffic to your left has stopped. Even then, look out for idiot motorcyclists overtaking the cars which have stopped to give you priorite.

Pedestrians have absolute right of way on a crossing, if they are about to step onto a crossing, and if they choose to wander on the road in town. As the French tend to stand and talk to each other at a crossing, this requires a certain amount of body language interpretation . . .

Those who have passed their test less than 2 years ago, or are under 22, are restricted to a blood alcohol level of 20 mG/L - a quarter of the UK level - this really means NO drinking at least within 12 hours of driving. The generally lower level of alcohol is of particular note on the last night of le Mans etc, when les Gendarmes will be waiting along the road - and in the morning. Any infraction of le loi will result in being breathalised.

Do NOT park in any disabled bay - even by a wheel's width - as this will attract a 135 euro fine, even if you are with your car.

French law requires that number plates are rigidly secured to the vehicle, as a number plate travelling at 80 mph towards the windscreen of an a 80 mph car could cause an accident, or even decapitate a motorcyclist.

In practice this means rivets - and a similarly secure method of attachment is required for foreign-registered cars, such as self-tapping screws or nuts and bolts. The popular (in the UK) method of using double-sided adhesive tape is NOT acceptable, and can result in the vehicle being retained by the roadside until the gendarmes are satisfied. This attitude is particularly prevalent in cases of gross speeding in the 'race' to the ferryports, and can of course mean that you miss your ferry while trying to satisfy a literal-minded gendarme. If you cannot do so, your vehicle can be impounded (at a charge) until it is rectified.

New Laws/Changes:

The signs warning of radars ahead are supposed to have been removed, but fortunately this requirement has been ignored. Remember that les gendarmes will soon be able to prosecute you in the UK, and a fine may be on the doormat when you get home. The cameras are usually set to operate at a level of 5% over the limit, but do not relay on this - I have been caught by a camera set at 3 kph over the limit!

Pedestrians and cyclists now have right of way if on the road, no matter what they are doing - but they have been told to use a bit of common sense!

Using a hand held phone - up from 35 Euro to 135.

Exceeding a speed limit by 30 mph can now result in a year in prison and a fine of up to 4500 Euros.

Watching a television set or computer screen while driving - 1500 Euro fine

Posession, carraige, or use of any type of advance radar/laser etc warning equipment - 1500 Euros. This includes GPS units with camera site alert warnings, which must be disabled permanently (ie a software change) not just turned off. There will be no 'But it's legal in the UK and I turned the alerts off when I came to France' type of excuses. They also know how to interrogate a satnav to find the maximum speed travelled at, as well as the time and place.

Driving on the hard shoulder - 135 Euros, even if you do so with only one set of wheels.

MoT test required for mopeds later this year.

Any trace whatever of 'recreational' drugs - 1 year in prison and 4500 Euro fine. This will also apply to 'Do not drive or operate machinery' type drugs such as those for travel (sea)sickness, hay fever etc. Take care, or you may have an opportunity for a free one-year residential course in spoken French, with food provided!

One unused disposable breathalyser to be carried on all vehicles - obviously if you ever propose to use it, that means two, so leaving one unused unit. The requirement to use your breathalyser has been placed n 'hold.'

Motorcyclists have been required to use dipped beams in daytime for some time, but car drivers are now 'Strongly recommended' to do so now that daytime running lights are becoming more common. Such practice is not common, bit it it is possible that this will be soon required by law, which could be the reason for 'Headlamps on' signs being removed from tunnel entrances.

Naturally, in the case of tourists, les gendarmes will use their discretion, and multiply the fine by whatever number comes into their heads! They are happy to accept all credit cards.

If you buy a breathaliser in the UK, make sure that it carries the 'NF' Norme Francais marking, wihout which it will not be recognised under French law:

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
5th wheel
Model
Primetime Crusader 325 RES
RV Experience
Many years
I had a french person drive in to the back of my truck last year, we were joining from a junction where prorite a droit would have applied but I wasn't going to pull out in front of a 44t truck doing 50mph so stopped. I got a scratch on my towbar she needed a bumper, bonnet & grille, she just shrugged &:drove off!
Pedestrian right of way is much the same here, the only difference is that over there the driver of a vehicle is automatically deemed at fault regardless of circumstance.
I have read about the satnav stuff but not that the ability to identify speed cameras must be removed, mine is part of my Pioneer in dash unit & there is no option alter it although the camera warnings have never worked in the UK.

Steve Martin

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A
Model
Monaco Knight 30' twin slide Diesel
RV Experience
Not enough to get the T-shirt
Give cyclists/pedestrians wide berth as normal, if you hit one I hear it's oodles of paperwork inc prison.
So far all the drivers I have met on the 'little' roads have been sensible and all roundabouts are treated with extreme caution seems to work. I have three copies of vehicle docs and European accident forms kept handy. Like most things in life, Prepare for the worst and hope for the best'

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Damon Daybreak 3270
RV Experience
5 happy years Picking up Bits
Who says French driving rules? We got that black guy whos a whiz at the round an rounds. (Not you Graham you aren't black) You know wos is name!! Snigel womansel...
Dave Clark and his 5 errrrr pitmen...Benson Buttons??? or is it Graham Norton? Noo that's a motorbike. Okay I give up

Landy Lover

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
Fifth wheel Unit - pulled by a 110 crewcab Land Rover and a 'Stumpy' caravan for flying visits
Model
Eurolight 27ft
RV Experience
51 years camping & caravaning
When I first drove over there many years back a French lass said to me if it looks like the other vehicle will hit you give way otherwise foot down and blow the horn - HARD

Member No
RV Type
Monaco safari trek
Model
Monaco Safari Trek
RV Experience
18 months and loving it!
We were told about the rule on sat navs with warnings of speed cameras before we went to France in June/July. Friends of ours were unaware and they disable it and were fined so we didn't take the chance.

Back