Ferry to France recommendations please

Member No
RV Type
A class
Model
Fleetwood PaceArrow
RV Experience
Many Years but new to A class
Anyone have any suggestions for ferry crossings to France. Is there one that you would recommend or not recommend for being cheaper/easier to use than others? 34 foot Fleetwood and a dog to consider.

Thanks

Member No
RV Type
American A Class
Model
Fleetwood Bounder 34J
RV Experience
Not long enough
Ferry

Hi Bowman

We have a 34' Fleetwood Bounder and have used the following: P&O Dover-Calais ; DFDS (formerly Norfolk Line) Dunkerque - Dover and Brittany Ferries (I think!) St Malo - Portsmouth.

We used the Caravan Club and got some very good deals and had no problems on the ferries getting on or off.

Sometimes if you book well in advance you get a better deal but have heard that people booking a couple of days in advance getting just as good as deal.

We can't use the tunnel as we use LPG for driving.

Who ever you go with hope you have a fab holiday:thumbup::thumbup:

Hope to see you on a meet somewhere.

Regards Brian and Chris

J

jimbo_hippo

I'm a big fan of P&Os club lounge especially if the ferry is full of school exchange coaches. Kids appear to morph into electrons on boarding a boat, running around bouncing off the walls and if there are hundreds of them, no matter how much you love them you will want to shoot yourself after an hour in a downstairs seat. For £12 extra per person you get some peace, a cumfy seat, newspapers, tea and coffee and a good food at reasonable prices. If I've driven to the ferry and have a long drive ahead I reckon its an investment.

Boarding any of the ferries is pretty straightforward. Some of the ramps are steep and I usually leave my mark with a chunk of their tarmac torn out with my towbar but otherwise it's all fine.

Check in is swift and to date I've never had any problems with customs.

Just one tip: At the terminal there are signs and lanes for trucks or cars or coaches and the first time you go you may feel hurried along by traffic moving to the holding point and flap over which to choose. My tip is stick to the car lane regardless. As far as I'm aware its more of a customs designation than height or length. The truck lanes seem to go to commercial checking, the coach ones (especially on disembark) seem to be for pull over and passport check of passengers. Height and width not an issue if you're comfortable driving a big unit. Just don't be hurried. There are other lanes idiots can use and you don't want to clobber a pillar (of which there are a few) or bounce up kerbs because some git want to get home 100yds early!

P

PeterP

Ferry Crossing

We have crossed Dover-Dunkirk for the last 6 years. If you choose a late or very early crossing, midnight to 4.00 am, if you are a Caravan Club or Caravan and Camping Club member it's £29 each way. We usually arrive at Marine Parade in Dover just after 6.00 pm, parking people have finished, have a bite and a pint at end of road. Head down until an hour from sailing time. Marine Parade is 1.5 miles from terminal. We find a convenient Lidl or similar spot to rest up on arrival.

Last edited by a moderator:

Olley

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A
Model
Winnebago Brave 31'
RV Experience
We have crossed Dover-Dunkirk for the last 6 years. If you choose a late or very early crossing, midnight to 4.00 am, if you are a Caravan Club or Caravan and Camping Club member it's £29 each way. We usually arrive at Marine Parade in Dover just after 6.00 pm, parking people have finished, have a bite and a pint at end of road. Head down until an hour from sailing time. Marine Parade is 1.5 miles from terminal. We find a convenient Lidl or similar spot rest up on arrival.

£29? Never got it that cheap, usually around £75, mind you never travelled at that time, I will have to give it a try.:thumbup:

Ian

Back