Ferry charges? is this correct at 1k!!!

S

Shane&Vanessa

We thought we would pop over to Holland as we are only 15 minutes from the port of Hull.

Just got a price at P&O online for a bargain price of £1,079.00 :blink::blink: I could go to blinking Vegas for a week with the misses and kids for that courtesy of Lastminute site

If this is normal than I can safely say our trailer will NEVER leave the UK while in our ownership

S

sloberdoberbob

Stems and Harwich to the Hook as bad

Stena Line from Harwich to the Hook van Holland is just as bad... High density for trucks so the deals are not good. We continue to use the tunnel with our trailer.. Off to France tomorrow evening.

Bob:crying:

Last edited by a moderator:

Olley

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A
Model
Winnebago Brave 31'
RV Experience
Not much competition on those routes so they can charge what ever they like. Booked Dover to Calais a couple of weeks back for a May trip to Disney, £160 return.

Ian

S

Shane&Vanessa

Well I nearly fell off my seat, was not expecting it to be so high, guess its like Humberside airport which is in a world of its own, fly to Southampton at over £400 but I can go from Leeds-Bradford for £20.

Being 300 miles from Dover is why I thought Hull would be the answer but hey, we was thinking of going to Euro disney too but think we may as well do the real Disney again in Florida, but with the kids this time lol!!

Guess our total length of 50ft don't help, there was me wanting a 40+ft trailer

Olley

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A
Model
Winnebago Brave 31'
RV Experience
The other thing is the length of the crossing, at Dover I guess the ferries there can do a 2 hour turnaround, that's load at Dover and be ready for loading again at Calais. So I would imagine very profitable, with routes like Hull its a lot longer so less profit.

Your right about length, I think P&O was £20 extra per metre over 8m

Ian

Member No
RV Type
A class
Model
Coachmen Mirada 32'
RV Experience
10+ in Caravans, 5th wheels and now A class
in a word yes, its for an overnight crossing with cabin dont know if you included the set menu choice thing.
Try Norfolk Line Dover - Dunkirk if you sail out on a Sunday and return on a friday the caravan is 'free' well the first 7 mtrs is over 7mtrs and its £15 a metre each leg for the extra length, for us it didnt come in at a bad price we are just under 42' hitched. dont forget to knock off the bedroom bit from the length of your van to give them an accurate measurement for the caravan.

sundowner

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A class
Model
Neismann+Bischoff Flair 2.8 Iveco
RV Experience
47 years on and off with various travelling vehicles
Hi Shane
Did you call it a caravan or a fifth wheel trailer ???? they may have given you the commercial rate-----VERY different
It WILL be dear though :sad::sad:
One reason why we are going to Europe with truck and de-mountable camper!!
Nigel & Pamala

S

Shane&Vanessa

Hi Shane
Did you call it a caravan or a fifth wheel trailer ???? they may have given you the commercial rate-----VERY different
It WILL be dear though :sad::sad:
One reason why we are going to Europe with truck and de-mountable camper!!
Nigel & Pamala

We did it online, dummy booking type thingy, had it down as caravan and total length in metres (15 of them) and a mid week night sailing, think we will fly to Euro disney instead especially as on top of boat costs I've my 15mpg diesel bill

pappajohn

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A class
Model
Rexhall Rexair
RV Experience
the one and only time P+O north sea have had my custom was around 8 years ago.

landrover disco + 2 people ....just short of £500 return Hull/Zeebruge

fuel to dover and back would have left around £400 (minus ferry fare, much less than £100) for foreign fuel and accoms

never been back to Hull since :wink:

Last edited:
S

Shane&Vanessa

never been back to Hull since :wink:

Well, your not missing much it certainly does not improve with age.

Seems the port is OK for JUST cars, I went to the Nuremberg ring to run my car there and the prices were acceptable, hence the shock when I get qouted over £1,000.00, at least I now know why its a fairly quite port

I

iluvmyrv

On the subject of Ferries-can any body recommend the best crossing to Ireland.Thinking of taking the RV over for a tour combined with a meet-up for a 60th birthday surprise.We have a four-legged friend-Remy-who will be travelling with us so a long ferry crossing is out of the question.:001_smile:

Back