Driving to Marseille from Calais

B

billyfreda

Advice on journey to Marseille.
My daughter has been selected to ride for england in the european championships for the MGAGB we will be taking our RV and a horse lorry with 2 ponies. We have googled the trip which is approx 1075km and expect to take 20hours, the problem is we need to rest/stop a couple times for the ponies, we intend to pull into the lorry laybyes and corral the ponies for a few hours and hopefully get a few hours sleep and then continue our journey. We have travelled to France and Germany before with ponies but the journey was only a maximum of 5 hours drive from Calais so stopping in laybyes for 1 hour rest with ponies was not a problem.
Will we be allowed to stop and corral ponies for a few hours ? ? as we know that most of thier laybyes have large grassed areas. If we need to find a farm where we can corral and stop it maybe somewhere off our route which can put additional hours onto the journey and is not a prefered option.
Advice on trip to Marseille would be appreciated from the experienced and far travelled RVers.
Regards billyfreda:thumbup:
ps. if interested my daughter rides for kent, go to MGAGB website for more information

Olley

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A
Model
Winnebago Brave 31'
RV Experience
Hi Billy can't help much, travelled that way a few times, I would suggest stopping early as from memory the M/Way aires fill up early with lorries, and its decidedly dodgy around Lyon, quite a few robberies reported in this area.

I don't think I could sleep with some expensive horseflesh out in the open unless somebody stayed awake to keep an eye on things.

Best of luck to your daughter. :thumbup:

Olley

Member No
RV Type
A class
Model
previously georgie boy cruismaster royale ,h/r vactioner ,current monaco cayman
RV Experience
about 10 yrs
Have a look at the location clemont ferrand on your french map if its on your route which i think it is i know somewhere about 10 mins off the m/way that might be ok

Olley

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A
Model
Winnebago Brave 31'
RV Experience
Hi HB I doubt he's going that way, his most direct route is Reims-Dijon-Lyon-Marseille. You would normally only go via Clermont if you were heading Perpignan way.

Olley

Last edited:

Olley

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A
Model
Winnebago Brave 31'
RV Experience
Last edited:
B

billyfreda

trip to marseille

Thanks for all the advise, as i have never rved in france before i thank all the members for any info:thumbup: :biggrin:
billyfreda

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Hymer B644
RV Experience
lost count
Hi Jim wasn't she selling up? and I believe she couldn't take RV's anyway. And thats even further off his route than Clermont

Olley

As far as I know she hasn't sold yet and is still open.. I thought she had space for RVs .. no matter, as you say probably not on the route ..

she has plenty of space for horses .. :lol:

Back