Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Tiffin Allegro
RV Experience
Since 2000
Hi all, Am planning a trip to the Sunny Beach area of Bulgy, and though have transited Bulgy many times in the past,its now almost 30 years since my cola cowboy days. So am thinking not only times have changed but just maybe they have built and improved some of the roads. I notice there are quite a few ex ME drivers on here and thought I have a chance of getting some sensible advice. I have tried the sister site but to no avail, more interest in whats on TV tonight. So any of you lot driven to Bulgy in recent years and if so what route do you suggest,I have also thought of the Italy Greek ferry as an option,but only one way, perhaps going overland out and returning Greece Italy.

Member No
RV Type
been sold
Model
fleetwood pace arrow now been sold.
RV Experience
from 2004
Hi,
My daughter has a property at Sunny Beach and we have been over the last two years (mind you we did fly)
The main roads seem fine plenty of coaches and lorries on them. The whole of sunny beach is well built up, its becoming a new party area because its still fairly cheap, but some of the roads are tight ( seen many a coach driver cursing).
Hope you enjoy your trip
Shirl

snowbird

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Tiffin Allegro
RV Experience
Since 2000
Hi Shirl,thanks for the reply. My friend has a property in St Vlas,just up the road from Sunny Beach and normally flies out mid June till mid September.
Instead of flying out we thought it a good idea to drive and to give us a chance to do some touring at the same time.I would like to take a look around Transylvania and Romania,possibly even down into Turkey.
Its been many years since I was in Istanbul so its a bit of a nostalgia trip for me. I cant imagine siting on the same beach for 3 months as I value the friendship to much for that.:001_smile:

Bicester Oxfordshire. email warouk@hotmail.co.uk
Member No
RV Type
Eurobox
Model
Frankia I8000
RV Experience
since 26.11.09.
Hi Shirl,thanks for the reply. My friend has a property in St Vlas,just up the road from Sunny Beach and normally flies out mid June till mid September.
Instead of flying out we thought it a good idea to drive and to give us a chance to do some touring at the same time.I would like to take a look around Transylvania and Romania,possibly even down into Turkey.
Its been many years since I was in Istanbul so its a bit of a nostalgia trip for me. I cant imagine siting on the same beach for 3 months as I value the friendship to much for that.:001_smile:

Mind how you go in Kapikula (you know where it is) i am informed that its no longer just a dirt holding area whilst waiting for customs, its all nice car park now,, that will be a lovely change, and look into the Londra Mocamp, see if it is still there??????, wonder if they still run the Bosphorus ferries now they have a bridge???, and if you get as far as Ankara, see if the shell gge is still there??. have a great time mate and plenty of nostalgia Regards Garry flatpackchicken, EX before maybe cola cowboy:001_smile:

snowbird

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Tiffin Allegro
RV Experience
Since 2000
Mind how you go in Kapikula (you know where it is) i am informed that its no longer just a dirt holding area whilst waiting for customs, its all nice car park now,, that will be a lovely change, and look into the Londra Mocamp, see if it is still there??????, wonder if they still run the Bosphorus ferries now they have a bridge???, and if you get as far as Ankara, see if the shell gge is still there??. have a great time mate and plenty of nostalgia Regards Garry flatpackchicken, EX before maybe cola cowboy:001_smile:
Hi Garry,The Londra has long gone am afraid.As to Kapikule,anything can be an improvement on that s**t hole.Once spent 6 days getting through there.
Ah well happy days,thank god for the Effs control.:blink:Have you any recent info on the best route.

T

turtleboy

Hi Snowbird.

I would be interested to hear how you get on as we have a house in Bulgaria and the ultimate plan for us is to drive down there when we can afford it and live in the RV while we renovate the house, then use it as a base for touring.

The best advice I can give you is to go anywhere else in Bulgaria other than Sunny Beach. The place is an absolute dive, full of drugs, prostitution, crime and massively over inflated prices. It may be cheaper than the UK, but barely, and compared to the rest of Bulgaria it's an absolute rip off. I spent 3 days there and vowed I would never go to the place again. The rest of Bulgaria is beautiful, inexpensive and full of warm and friendly people.

I have toured around a large part of Bulgaria and some of the rural roads are shocking, but things are improving and most of the main roads are now quite good. There are lots of big coaches and HGV's on the roads and they seem to get by OK. Personally I wouldn't hesitate to take the RV there, the only thing that is stopping me is funds.

Have fun.

Martin

Member No
RV Type
Low line ice cream van (RV maybe another day again)
Model
Swift Autoquest 680FB 3.0 auto
RV Experience
2005 but tugger B4
Hi Snowbird.

The best advice I can give you is to go anywhere else in Bulgaria other than Sunny Beach. The place is an absolute dive, full of drugs, prostitution, crime and massively over inflated prices. It may be cheaper than the UK, but barely, and compared to the rest of Bulgaria it's an absolute rip off. I spent 3 days there and vowed I would never go to the place again.

Have fun.

Martin

Sounds like Dave wont be bored then:wink::001_smile:

Back