Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
a class
Model
Coachmen Mirada
RV Experience
since august 2012
Following on from my post about sites charging extra for RV's. Debra and I decided to stay on for another night at Southport. We paid for 4 nights when we arrived. I had empty waste tanks and a full water tank, thanks to Chapel Lane CC site.
In common with most rally sites, Southport is a metalled and tarmac mix car park. There is a difficult to get to manhole and one water point behind the site managers rv. We paid £8 per night there are no toilets or showers. After most of the people left today. I realised we were running out of water and we both wanted a shower. So I manoeuvred to the dump and emptied the tanks and drove over to the only tap. I was filling the tank, when a funster came over to fill his water container, so I stopped and filled him up before continuing. The site manager then came up and said " you are not filling that are you? The water here is on a meter" I told her I was and thought with no other facilities, my ,£32 would probably cover it. I was then told if I did not like facilities don't come back. Well a bit rude, but brings me to a serious point. My RV holds about 150 litres of water, now because of the effort required to 're fill it, we use it sparingly. I have noticed euroboxes with 45 and even 60 litre aqua rolls filling every day. So how do we get the message out, that RV's don't use more electric or water.:)

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Damon Daybreak 3270
RV Experience
5 happy years Picking up Bits
Shockingly rude and ignorant of the facts (reminds me of Lickpennies) Do they think we fill the whole bus up from top to bottom? And turn it into an aquarium???
Soirry to hear that Paul and Debra, sort of spoils what was a nice event.

Elvis

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A Class DP
Model
1999 Monaco Windsor '38
RV Experience
Since birth
Been sitting here trying to think of a way, but ultimately they have decided, contrary to all common sense that 2 people in an RV use more water than 2 people in similarly equipped eurobox. Maybe they are implying that you shower more and should take it as a compliment?

paul&debra

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
a class
Model
Coachmen Mirada
RV Experience
since august 2012
Shockingly rude and ignorant of the facts (reminds me of Lickpennies) Do they think we fill the whole bus up from top to bottom? And turn it into an aquarium???
Soirry to hear that Paul and Debra, sort of spoils what was a nice event.
Don't misunderstand me, we had a great weekend and nothing could spoil it. If the Marshalls had still been here, I don't think it would have happened. But it is ignorance:(

Member No
RV Type
Thor A class
Model
Infinity v10 2002
RV Experience
12 years Caravaners RVers 9yrs
we get it all the time , most sites we have on pitch water so we dont fill our tanks, but if we do it lasts about 7 days with careful use but i dont mean we dont have showers every day, washing up etc but turning taps off whilst lathering, our hot water tank holds just enough to have 2 showers straight after each other.
as soon as we turned up at waterloo the owner put the fee's up and then this march she put a water meter on our pitch and shot her self in the foot in since march we have only used 6 units .she wanted to charge us £10 a week extra for water and came to an agreement about a water meter.

Elvis

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A Class DP
Model
1999 Monaco Windsor '38
RV Experience
Since birth
That maybe the key actually although a little long winded I know I use a lot less water showering in the RV as I turn the head off whilst lathering etc. or I run out of hot water where as in a shower block I'd just let it run!

Member No
RV Type
Thor A class
Model
Infinity v10 2002
RV Experience
That maybe the key actually although a little long winded I know I use a lot less water showering in the RV as I turn the head off whilst lathering etc. or I run out of hot water where as in a shower block I'd just let it run!
:p:p long winded Mmmm:lipssealed::lipssealed: hush up moman, any more of that talk and you know what will happen :giggle::giggle:

Landy Lover

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
Fifth wheel Unit - pulled by a 110 crewcab Land Rover and a 'Stumpy' caravan for flying visits
Model
Eurolight 27ft
RV Experience
51 years camping & caravaning
Mmmm - similar - we were on a site and the site EHU went down - it was only a 10 amp EHU so we did not use the 1000 watt kettle we normally use - used the gas one instead. TV's are 12 volt, the Sky dish and box are 12 volt - all the lights are 12v - the only thing running on 220 would be the Microwave. We use the 220 for battery charging. Anyway we barely knew the EHU had gone off except the clock on the Microwave had gone off.

After a while a loud hammering on the door to find the site owner steam coming from his ears declared it was all our fault his EHU had blown at which point I invited him in - his jaw dropped when he saw the TV on. I asked him if he would like a cup of tea to calm down and explained to him that most RV.s only relied on EHU to keep the onboard batteries charged that we were quite capable of running off grid if we could keep the batteries up.

Interestingly he then spent quite a bit of time going round the caravaners checking what they were doing and in one awning found a Microwave - a 3.5 kw kettle - a 2 kw fan heater which was running !!! mid summer !!
and a breadmaker . He also took the time to explain to the rest of the campsite that we were not the culprits that we could well do without the EHU .

Only had one issue with water - I was challenged how much it took and I pointed out we fill weekly the rest fill daily and they said Oh and went away

motor roamin

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A class
Model
A 2008 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40R
RV Experience
I must live a charmed life, I have never been challenged when filling I always arrive with full water and if there for less than two weeks have no need to refill but always top up before leaving, unless my next stop is home then I travel with what ever happens to be in the tank which after 4 days can be as much as 2/3rds EHU depending on what amps are available the heat air on the Itasca is a domestic system which runs quiet and economic on electric, TV is a new low powered 240v which runs happily off the inverter so again as most I just top up the batteries, though I do use my coffee pot on hook up :rofl: life's small pleasures (y)

All the best Rick

Member No
RV Type
A Class, Length 9.9314m or 32' 7" in proper measurements.
Model
Winnebago Sightseer 31E .......... 2010
RV Experience
5 Years drivng a " WINNEBAGO ". SuperExcellent. SuperLuckyLad.
We don't use any water, except to make tea. :mask:

Member No
RV Type
PVC
RV Experience
Since 2008
If it helps your next discussion with a campsite manager, you can tell them that some panel van conversions can hold 2/3rds as much as you. Our Globecar Campscout holds 100lts.

Potentially, we could use even more than an RV, because if we manage it wrong we may need to dump some water before leaving to stay within our weight limit. I've never had to do it yet, but our tank has a two stage dump valve for the purpose - the first stage drains down to 20ltrs for travel.

I suppose the perception is that an individual site can get hit. If an RV has a huge water tank & you are touring, one site in 3 or 4 gets to supply all the water. The perception being that a eurobox would have to top up a smaller amount on every site. There may be some truth in that, because I try not to travel with more than half a tank full for weight reasons, so only fill to the top if I'm staying put for a while.

Olley

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A
Model
Winnebago Brave 31'
RV Experience
As much as we like to deny it, we do have the potential to use more power. In winter I can easily draw 3kw just to keep warm, plus electric for the water heater and the fridge which is twice the size of euro one.
In summer instead of heating I could have up two a/c on.

So on balance I do think we can and do use more power, and power is expensive.

Ian

Member No
RV Type
PVC
RV Experience
Since 2008
Interestingly enough, the very same site manager very kindly let me plug in my wife's wheelchair to charge it up. That was something that she wasn't obliged to do & that we hadn't paid for. And there is no doubt that the electric would be on a meter! Whereas fresh water is very much part of what you pay for. Very strange. Maybe the last water bill had come as a bit of a shock! You wouldn't have thought a few RVs would make much difference to the overall Pleasureland water bill.

Mind you - it may have helped that I got Graham to ask on my behalf!

motor roamin

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A class
Model
A 2008 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40R
RV Experience
As much as we like to deny it, we do have the potential to use more power. In winter I can easily draw 3kw just to keep warm, plus electric for the water heater and the fridge which is twice the size of euro one.
In summer instead of heating I could have up two a/c on.

So on balance I do think we can and do use more power, and power is expensive.

Ian

I do agree Ian we have the potential to use more, but once the water is heated we use very little extra to keep it there, I rarely use electric heating and tend to use gas at worst (and most of the time its at home) I have a small 11ov oil filled radiator, I have not had this RV in the cold yet but the rev was so efficient we had the trauma on low and never used any other heating which ran on gas and lasted over 8 weeks, fridge guilty, in the Itasca as stated the air is a domestic system very efficient cant use too much electric because when I ran it at home I didn't notice any difference to the leccy bill, or should I say Rosie didn't :rofl: I have seen many Euros now with roof air aldi wet heating in vans that are not well insulated can be expensive to run (I had it in a Caravan and it ran away with gas never tried it on electric when watching the meter) but I think you are right we could use more but not that much, plus I rarely use water from a site with close to 400ltrs on board I can manage two weeks ish and I always travel from home full.

Member No
RV Type
Diesel Pusher
Model
Safari Trek, Tiffin Allegro Bus, Safari Cheetah
RV Experience
Still learning........everyday
Perhaps if people understand the facts, or maybe we have to educate then gently.

One unit of water is 1000litres or 200 gallons and costs on a metered supply roughly £1.60. All water companies have slightly differing charges but all similar as they are regulated by OfWat.

So next time you get challenged about filling the tanks perhaps explain how little this costs and offer to pay the 24p for your 150 litres

I'm sure they will soon realise how stupid they look and walk away embarrassed

Member No
RV Type
c class
Model
chateau citation
RV Experience
since 2008
Following on from my post about sites charging extra for RV's. Debra and I decided to stay on for another night at Southport. We paid for 4 nights when we arrived. I had empty waste tanks and a full water tank, thanks to Chapel Lane CC site.
In common with most rally sites, Southport is a metalled and tarmac mix car park. There is a difficult to get to manhole and one water point behind the site managers rv. We paid £8 per night there are no toilets or showers. After most of the people left today. I realised we were running out of water and we both wanted a shower. So I manoeuvred to the dump and emptied the tanks and drove over to the only tap. I was filling the tank, when a funster came over to fill his water container, so I stopped and filled him up before continuing. The site manager then came up and said " you are not filling that are you? The water here is on a meter" I told her I was and thought with no other facilities, my ,£32 would probably cover it. I was then told if I did not like facilities don't come back. Well a bit rude, but brings me to a serious point. My RV holds about 150 litres of water, now because of the effort required to 're fill it, we use it sparingly. I have noticed euroboxes with 45 and even 60 litre aqua rolls filling every day. So how do we get the message out, that RV's don't use more electric or water.:)

We drove up from oxfordshire I had no water on board to save fuel marshals greeted us pointed me to the water point filled up no probs
Never been questioned ever its part of the site fee unless stated at time of booking Shirley did suggest I take our waste home no chance A I would be overweight and screw up my fuel cost and B there was an adequate dump point at the top of the car park
There was also waste bins for rubbish which we found on leaving the site
Shirley had suggest we take our rubbish home or put it in the bins as we walked into town which we did
Not whinging just saying all in all had a good week end made some new friends

paul&debra

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
a class
Model
Coachmen Mirada
RV Experience
since august 2012
Perhaps if people understand the facts, or maybe we have to educate then gently.

One unit of water is 1000litres or 200 gallons and costs on a metered supply roughly £1.60. All water companies have slightly differing charges but all similar as they are regulated by OfWat.

So next time you get challenged about filling the tanks perhaps explain how little this costs and offer to pay the 24p for your 150 litres

I'm sure they will soon realise how stupid they look and walk away embarrassed
Thank you for that information, I was going to work that out. :D

Member No
RV Type
Thor A class
Model
Infinity v10 2002
RV Experience
(y)(y)oh i worked that out when ours started charging us extra and when i gave her the cheque for our 6 months usage with a breakdown of charges as i called the water company to get the right amount , you should have seen her face . bull dog and wasps :punch: take that

Back