Winter in the Sun

Sully-pec

Subscriber
Hi all we are thinking of going to Spain etc for the for some warmth in the winter December / January has anyone got any recommendations or information as to were to have a look or go we were thinking of sailing from Portsmouth to Santander and then Driving from there Many Thanks Steve and Sue

RV Neal

Subscriber
Once you get off the boat in Santander the world is your lobster! There are several directions and many different options open to you and you will probably hear from quite a few on this forum.

We spent three winters in south east Spain and thoroughly enjoyed them. We went to the same location each time and struck up some lasting friendships but, after three winters we were happy to do something else. The way of life is great, the weather is generally great, the cost of living is great, and the people we met were great.

We were newbies, never been on a rally before (despite RVing independently for 25 years) and so did not know what to expect but were pleasantly surprised. This is just one option; join a rally. It was useful for us as we decided to "go the whole hog" and jumped right in for 6 months each time. We had a whole wealth of experience available to us that helped us in many different ways.

The three winters in the Spanish sun were lovely after a lifetime of work but we have now got into a rhythm that suits us better. I work from November to end of May and then we do what we like best from May to October. This is (in a "normal" year) exhibiting at steam rallies, grabbing a few weeks away in the UK and then travelling to Europe for a couple of months from early September.

My suggestion is - dip your toes in the water, try it, and see where it leads you. As I said there will be others with other opinions along in a little while. Whatever you do - enjoy it.

Lenny

Subscriber
Good luck with your research Steve and Sue , I've been thinking of this for years now so I'll be watching this post with interest.
Portugal (the Algarve) gets a lot of recommendation for winter sun but we are yet to take the plunge ,maybe this is the year.
Lenny and Christine.

Merv-IOM

Subscriber
You'll enjoy both Spain and Portugal immensely. Both have unique cultural quirks, and both are friendly and safe. After brexit, we [Brits] can only stay in the EU for 90 days maximum (visa free). There are whispers that Portugal and France are considering a 180 day visa free stay but nothing definite yet, so please check nearer the time. (Rumour has it that Spain may adopt the longer stay too, 'cos if they don't we'll all clear off to Portugal and they [Spanish] will lose out on millions of £'ssss).

I'm sure that if anything happens regarding extended visas, this forum will be the first to know!

We've spent 10 years wandering around the EU, normally spending the winter months somewhere in southern Spain and have loved every minute of it...I'm sure you will too.

Good luck

Merv and Sandra

stunette

Subscriber
Just an Idea if you can, come to the Retro Festival in August where every one that you need to talk to about travelling abroad will be there. We've been over the water over a dozen times, but there are loads of people that have far more experience than us. (y)

PAJ

Subscriber
Once you get off the boat in Santander the world is your lobster! There are several directions and many different options open to you and you will probably hear from quite a few on this forum.

We spent three winters in south east Spain and thoroughly enjoyed them. We went to the same location each time and struck up some lasting friendships but, after three winters we were happy to do something else. The way of life is great, the weather is generally great, the cost of living is great, and the people we met were great.

We were newbies, never been on a rally before (despite RVing independently for 25 years) and so did not know what to expect but were pleasantly surprised. This is just one option; join a rally. It was useful for us as we decided to "go the whole hog" and jumped right in for 6 months each time. We had a whole wealth of experience available to us that helped us in many different ways.

The three winters in the Spanish sun were lovely after a lifetime of work but we have now got into a rhythm that suits us better. I work from November to end of May and then we do what we like best from May to October. This is (in a "normal" year) exhibiting at steam rallies, grabbing a few weeks away in the UK and then travelling to Europe for a couple of months from early September.

My suggestion is - dip your toes in the water, try it, and see where it leads you. As I said there will be others with other opinions along in a little while. Whatever you do - enjoy it.
What's this about a Rally please? Newbie! If it's meeting up with experienced people, sounds great. How can I find out more please? Thanks.

RV Neal

Subscriber
What's this about a Rally please? Newbie! If it's meeting up with experienced people, sounds great. How can I find out more please? Thanks.
The Camping & Caravanning Club (C&CC) run numerous rallies in many destinations across Europe. The Caravan & Motorhome Club (CAMC) also run European rallies but not so many. If you're interested in rallying, and it's not as stuffy as it sounds, then join the C&CC, request their Winter Sun brochure, and pick your destination.

We "jumped in" to their biggest winter rally at La Manga in south east Spain (with some trepidation due to us never, ever rallying) but it was absolutely marvellous. Go on, have a go!

Steve Martin

Subscriber
Hi Steve, go for it. Life is for living and why else does people buy an RV but for travel. I always say, "You never know what is around the courner". It all depends how you want to experience the sunny side of life in Spain / Portugal. You can either park up at a campsite or trundle around wild camping and seeing the sights. I have done both and each has its own attractions. There is no right or wrong way to travel abroad but the Nike slogan has it right.'Just do it'.
If I still have a RV, I will go to Retro and I can show you maps, routes, places to see and things not to do. OR just send me a private message and I will help you with your quest.