What to look for?

Rudski01

Subscriber
Well the time has come, sooner than we expected, we’ve just sold our house to a cash buyer so no chain and if the land registry get their fingers out of their butts for the land we’re buying we may be homeless in less than 12 weeks.
So that’s the background and we’ve decided against renting, not much going and with 2 dogs nigh on impossible, so we head to Signature on Sat, there’s a 2018 wind sport and a few aces I will look at with the intention of full timing while we build. I’m not new to Motorhome’s but I am to RVs So, what do I need to look for on these models? Do they have known faults? Any advice welcome I also don’t have a HGV yet.
Regards
Mark

Pedro1122

Subscriber
Well the time has come, sooner than we expected, we’ve just sold our house to a cash buyer so no chain and if the land registry get their fingers out of their butts for the land we’re buying we may be homeless in less than 12 weeks.
So that’s the background and we’ve decided against renting, not much going and with 2 dogs nigh on impossible, so we head to Signature on Sat, there’s a 2018 wind sport and a few aces I will look at with the intention of full timing while we build. I’m not new to Motorhome’s but I am to RVs So, what do I need to look for on these models? Do they have known faults? Any advice welcome I also don’t have a HGV yet.
Regards
Mark
Access to your new place is one factor. I've been told anything with a slideout is minimum 7.5t and depending when you passed test? After 1993 I think you will need an hgv class 2 or 'C' class now.
I recently bought mine from Signature (Great lads) One tip is check date of tyres! Over 6 years ask for new!

Rudski01

Subscriber
Access to your new place is one factor. I've been told anything with a slideout is minimum 7.5t and depending when you passed test? After 1993 I think you will need an hgv class 2 or 'C' class now.
I recently bought mine from Signature (Great lads) One tip is check date of tyres! Over 6 years ask for new!
Hi, test past before that so no issues, my current Motorhome is stored on the land I’m buying so access is good, tyres good tip, been caught out before with that one, good to know they’re good to deal with, hows the after sales though? That’s where I find dealers let themselves down
Cheers
Mark

Pedro1122

Subscriber
After sales I can't fault. I was on a site not really that far bout 60 miles from them and they sent a lad out! It was a trip switch, that's my lack of Rv experience :oops: Also they fitted a splitter (like battery master) to hab batteries as an upgrade but not working properly, again they sent a lad out to where Rv stored, same distance ish, diagnosed fault and due in for change. All service was under warranty.

Last edited:

Gareth62

Subscriber
If it's 32ft and 7.5t chances are by the time you fill up with the petrol and the water get two or three people in it it will be over weight and thats before the BBQ chairs clothes food drink tools and anything else you want to carry....mine is just under 7.5 empty if I get in it and drive it, it's over loaded. I'm planning to have it upplated to 8.6t that will give me around 1 tonne I can carry.... but to do that you would need a Class 2, Cat C licence.

I bet a salesman will tell you that you can drive it on a car licence yes if no more than 7.5t and you have C1 and C1E which you will have if you passed your car test before the 1st Jan 1997

Last edited:

Rudski01

Subscriber
If it's 32ft and 7.5t chances are by the time you fill up with the petrol and the water get two or three people in it it will be over weight and thats before the BBQ chairs clothes food drink tools and anything else you want to carry....mine is just under 7.5 empty if I get in it and drive it, it's over loaded. I'm planning to have it upplated to 8.6t that will give me around 1 tonne I can carry.... but to do that you would need a Class 2, Cat C licence.

I bet a salesman will tell you that you can drive it on a car licence yes if no more than 7.5t and you have C1 and C1E which you will have if you passed your car test before the 1st Jan 1997
Hi Gareth
Been waiting for my medical for my provisional then will be doing my class 2, things have moved quicker than I thought so needs must.
I have been doing lots of research weights etc just need to understand particulars to look for when viewing RVs and the variations to a euro, I currently have an RS Elysian so have black tank etc.

Pedro1122

Subscriber
Hi Gareth
Been waiting for my medical for my provisional then will be doing my class 2, things have moved quicker than I thought so needs must.
I have been doing lots of research weights etc just need to understand particulars to look for when viewing RVs and the variations to a euro, I currently have an RS Elysian so have black tank etc.
Elysians a lovely van ! Just no slide outs. Friend of mine had one prepared for him by RS and thats the thing he missed I think after Rv's in the US.

Gareth62

Subscriber
Hi Gareth
Have you done the theory and hazard test yet?

Rudski01

Subscriber
Are you focused on a petrol particularly ? Full timing I would be looking at diesel pusher , with slides. They are usually more robustly built , as weight is not a constraining factor . There are several other pluses. JMHO
Not done test yet and not enough time, most pushers over 7.5 aren’t they ?

Rudski01

Subscriber
If your going to be living in it while you do your new build, would you not be better off just getting a static put on site to live in and then using your other Motorhome to go away in until build finished then get a RV
Not enough room for a static and will need to move RV off site when demolition and construction get under way

tacr2man

Subscriber
Not done test yet and not enough time, most pushers over 7.5 aren’t they ?
They re 99% all over 7.5 ton , they will give you the engine oomph you have mentioned that isnt with the Elysian. You could get someone to position your RV while you get your license. Going full time under 7.5 is not going to be as easy . JMHO Signature have a Cayman (Monaco) compare that with the under 7.5 there .

Last edited:

jenmelmar

Subscriber
We have a Monaco Riptide for sale which we bought from Empire RV last June-James will confirm-and it has been upgradd to 8.1t as we are carrying a 300cc scooter-but itis easy to downgrade to 7.5t. Details are on the sales section here but everyone will tell you it is an excellent buy ;) Let me know if you would like more details. We are in Spain right now and will be back at Empire RV in May :)

Concord Pilot

Subscriber
I am another endorsement of James and the team at Empire RV - discuss your plans with James before you commit elsewhere as he may have something suitable for you in the pipeline and which is not being currently marketed. A trip to Somerset may appear at first glance a schlip but may repay you in spades. There are RV's sub 7500 kg with slide outs - some of the Thor Ace range for example ... BUT beware - by the time an LPG system is added with the weight of tanks and gas and you, your companion(s) and paraphanalia, the vehicle may well be over its gross weight before you put a pack of pot noodles in a cupboard !!.

Rudski01

Subscriber
Hi Concord
I had been in touch with James regarding a wind sport which has been sold, again i have 3 months depending on how quick the house goes through to do my licence , but I don’t want anything over 10 mtrs, and 7.5 t even though I understand it will be in excess whatever it’s badged as.
Jenmelmar
Thanks but I will be on the street by then and too big for me(y)