What sealant

WESTIES ON TOUR

Subscriber
Yep like I originally said sikaflex is the best I've been using it over 20 years.

If it was shit I don't think the jag would be using it to bond the front and rear windscreens in.

I use sikaflex 221 for lots of things including bonding 3 solar panels to the roof of my Rv current Rv and previous Rv and never had any issues.

Jason.

bengie

Subscriber
Yep like I originally said sikaflex is the best I've been using it over 20 years.

If it was shit I don't think the jag would be using it to bond the front and rear windscreens in.

I use sikaflex 221 for lots of things including bonding 3 solar panels to the roof of my Rv current Rv and previous Rv and never had any issues.

Jason.
Seems they only do it in black or white.(call me a awkward bastard) but I want it in clear

paul&debra

Subscriber
It does depend on your surfaces and your preparation. A good cleaner first, polyurethane is an adhesive rather than a sealant. If the sides of your RV are painted or gel coat, and the window frame is aluminium . Then a good low modulas silicone will seal fine snd properly. If dry it will not attract dirt, but should be checked annually. Please note low modulas silicone. Bath sealants tend to be fast curing high modulas silicone. Because of its fast curing, it does not adhere properly. But as with all these things, what works for you and does the job is good.

You can also use 2 part bostik polyurethane to initially stick the windows in. That is the product used to glue the glass to the shard in London. If that fails, glass will rain down on London. Although it does have physical fixings as back up. :D

paul&debra

Subscriber

Jason.
But again, jaguar use it to bond, not just as a back up seal and colour is a problem. :D

bengie

Subscriber
What about Sikaflex EBT which is a adhesive, sealant and filler. Available in black, white and clear. Any one ever used that. Have just found 3 unopened tubes of that in garage but has a best use by date of end of 2019.

Finglish

Subscriber
Screwfix no nonsense sealed my RV successfully ! But if you want something to stick it rather than seal it I'd suggest CT1 goes off under water flexible can have multiple colours easy to tool and easy to get hold of in most shops !

jayandjen

Subscriber
Just as jayandjen have said I have used several types of silicon and they fail to adhere. Would be grateful for the name of a polyurethane based alternative
OK.

So my winnebago call out sheet used this as the seat on sides / trims / gutters. Which are gelcoat and alluminium.
This I could not find in the UK or get posted over.

The closest equivalent I could buy in the UK with similar properties and materials to use with to redo bits where I was unhappy with the factory caulking was this.

It has performed really well and looks great and stayed flexible as required for just under a year no probs.

My window I fitted I used sikaflex. The factory ones are fitted using black mastic ( type used on rolls)

But I am happy using the proflex as a clear sealant.

But as with all things try in a inconspicuous place to test first and satisfy yourself
20210108_131316.jpg
Hope this is useful information for you bengie.

Attachments