What sealant

bengie

Subscriber
What sealant is recommended to seal around side front metal window frames to fibreglass body and trim on Thor Ace.

Last edited:

CTioga

Hi there, as well you can go to Windscreen shop and buy a tube of Windscreen silant, that is the strongest glue for glass but as well you will need primer for that glue.
Good luck

motor roamin

Subscriber
If you have windscreen rubbers holding the screen in then don't glue it as it will need to allow the windscreen to move, as stated Bengie nip down your local windscreen shop they will have sealant that will do the job take pictures with you as they will know if it needs to stay flexible (y)

bengie

Subscriber
What are you people on. Still pissed from new year drinking.(This is a joke ). The Thor Ace 30.1 side driver and passenger window frames are both metal (NO RUBBER INVOLVED).It is this metal frame that I want to seal to fibreglass body panel as the existing sealant has broken down. Not front windscreen which is all good.

WESTIES ON TOUR

Subscriber
What are you people on. Still pissed from new year drinking.(This is a joke ). The Thor Ace 30.1 side driver and passenger window frames are both metal (NO RUBBER INVOLVED).It is this metal frame that I want to seal to fibreglass body panel as the existing sealant has broken down. Not front windscreen which is all good.
Hi Bengie,

I did think that thats why I said sikaflex 221 lol.
But did not want a debate about it. I'm in benidorm atm and very happy and nice and hot.

motor roamin

Subscriber
OK you will need a standard windscreen sealant not glue as it will still need to move slightly going down the road should be able to get that from your local windscreen supplier they may even do the job for you.

WESTIES ON TOUR

Subscriber
I don't think people read your 1st post properly.

paul&debra

Subscriber
A reasonable Silicon will do, low modulas is best for long term grip. Silicone then tool off so it's neat. Either match the colour of the window frame, the bus wall or just use clear.

jayandjen

Subscriber
sorry i read windscreen. The windscreen is rubber.

When i fitted a new window in the side of my rv the window was supplied with a neoprene gasket. I didnt trust that so i used SIKA 291i. A marine adhesive / sealant in black to match the frame.
It is a flexible sealant. but some they may prefer something less adhesive for ease of removing it in the future. 291 is not structural.

I would avoid silicon based sealants and stick to polyurethane

Other use the mastic as the frames are a compression fitment. I don't like how the mastic gets mucky as it eventually compresses out.

paul&debra

Subscriber
Silicon is fine, I have been using it for glazing work for 40 years including in vehicles. It is a good sealant and you can see when it needs replacing with good maintenance. Polyurethane is used more for adhesive, so right to stick windows in with. But if just sealing around, silicon is better.

jayandjen

Subscriber
Silicon is fine, I have been using it for glazing work for 40 years including in vehicles. It is a good sealant and you can see when it needs replacing with good maintenance. Polyurethane is used more for adhesive, so right to stick windows in with. But if just sealing around, silicon is better.
Well can't argue with that! Because you have used it for years successfully.

I will agree to disagree. Silicone will not make it on the exterior of the rv.. The seals have previously been done in a polyutherane one and to do any repairs won't work as the silicon doesn't adhere. I did try.
I know they used polyutherane as the rv come with a sealant call out sheet and the forums in America all say not to use silicon but due to shipping chemical restrictions I couldn't get it shipped.

I have then researched and used a sealant who's name escapes me I will check tommorow to great effect to reapply over the factory caulking along the slide trims and it adhered great and looks as good after a year and hasn't picked up the dirt.

I guess there's more than 1 way to do a job and it's probly best to stick to the original method to ensure good adherence.

Do you know there's a lot of leaky baths out there where the silicon has lost adhesion a people don't notice.
Water kills rvs so a flexible polyeutherane adhesive sealant would be my choice.

I will update tommorow with what I used and leave it to the op to make his mind