Weight Limits

Mike59

Subscriber
Last year we bought our first Rv, didn't know too much about them but looked at several and took the advise of the salespersons. Finally bought one which matched all our requirements, was advertised as can be driven on car licence which the salesman confirmed. Anyway since we collected it has been in storage never used. Today i took it for a local drive as lockdown is coming to an end and called in at the public weighbridge just to see what it does weigh before we put our things in. Empty with no water, lpg and low petrol it is 7740kgs ! I wish i had joined forums like this before i bought it but it is a lesson for any one who is looking to buy to check weights they are allowed to drive.

motor roamin

Subscriber
Unfortunately this is something I hear all to often salesman wanting to get a sale and stretching the truth to get it, I must have at least one phone call a week from someone needing correct info on weights rather than you can drive it on a car license, these dealers need naming and shaming so others may not be caught out by someone you think will give the correct information.

onan

Subscriber
Unfortunately I have also heard this many times in over 15 years of owning RV’s. About 12+ years ago someone brought a court case which resulted in both parties loosing their shirts.

I have heard on numerous occasions inexperienced salesmen tell customers that it’s a “grey area”. As Rob has said, it’s only a “grey area“ until you have a serious accident.

Another common situation is where an RV has been downplated to 7490kg but you have minimal payload.

You have been sensible and booked your C licence, although the downside means you will start looking at 39ft diesel pushers.

Gareth62

Subscriber
Rick, am I correct that if I want to do my “E” I don’t need to retake my theory after passing my C as in June my 2 yrs are up.

I just want to get rid of this dam 107 code that on my licence.

Is there any other way around it with out going for the full C+E

All I want is a small toad or my Cortina on a trailer when we do shows

I’m even thinking of getting a toy hauler as a work around to this. But I’ve now added so much to the RV I would be loosing money to sell it.

motor roamin

Subscriber
Rick, am I correct that if I want to do my “E” I don’t need to retake my theory after passing my C as in June my 2 yrs are up.

I just want to get rid of this dam 107 code that on my licence.

Is there any other way around it with out going for the full C+E

All I want is a small toad or my Cortina on a trailer when we do shows

I’m even thinking of getting a toy hauler as a work around to this. But I’ve now added so much to the RV I would be loosing money to sell it.
Hi Gareth,

To tow over 750kg you will have to do a C+E just to let you know the 107 restriction will remain on your licence as you are grandfathered in what the C+E will do is override the restriction as long as you hold it should you ever let your C+E you will still retain your C1 with 107 restriction unless revoked on medical grounds, hope this makes sense.

jayandjen

Subscriber
you will love this one :)

Steve Martin

Subscriber
Of course you can Steve !!!!!!:rofl:....Oops,I've nothing to do with the above post !

Just off track for a minute, when you're up at Empire give me a shout and we'll have a cup of coffee.(y). I'm there 14th April for five days.(y)
Will do my best but my covid home testing kit appears to be lost in the post! Maybe I should have been more specific on which lay-by I was parked in :giggle: