Waste dumping

lee and sheryl

Subscriber
Hi everyone after our first weekend away I of course need to dump the waste.
Well I am not able to get over a dump station but I have a wheeled container of about 30 litres. I set it up under the outlet pipe then slowly opened the valve I then proceeded to empty one and a half tubs of black and about two of the grey (when emptying the grey I reopened the black to sort of flush it out a bit) when stopped I opened up both valves to ensure it was empty.
The flow was just an occasional drip of what looked like cleanish water then I washed it all down and closed the valves and put back the cap.
To me it seems this was done, then when I went inside and pushed my test button it said the grey was empty but the black was still showing 2/3rds full same as before I started.
What have I done wrong or is it just something on the sensors.
Thanks in advance lee

paul&debra

Subscriber
Sensors very rarely show accurate, to be honest I never even look at ours. Probably just got a bit of toilet paper hung up on it (or something else) But as I say, I never even look at ours. We have a short length of drain rod, we keep in the Toilet room. When we empty, Deb generally puts it down the toilet and stirs everything up.When its empty, you can feel nothing is moving around.
We generally find with 2 of us the Black tank lasts around 2 weeks, but grey is only a few days. Especially if we use the shower much. But you will know when the Grey is full, you get a pong of rotten eggs, that you trace to the shower, only to find. The grey is coming back up the drain.

paul&debra

Subscriber
Have you not got a manhole you can lift on or near your drive. It may even pay you to put a 4" pipe into a manhole in your garden, and run it to near your RV.

lee and sheryl

Subscriber
Hi Mick and Trudy thanks for replying ,mine was showing empty when we picked it up .What happens when the waste tanks are full ,is it a simple case of the loo backs up and the shower don't drain away ?

paul&debra

Subscriber
Yes Toilet paper etc suddenly comes up the tube, shows when full. But if it happens quite quickly, it could just be a poo and tissue pile. Hence why we have the drain rod in the room. As I said above, smell and water in the shower, show you the grey is full.

lee and sheryl

Subscriber
Have you not got a manhole you can lift on or near your drive. It may even pay you to put a 4" pipe into a manhole in your garden, and run it to near your RV.
We never put any paper down as was told best not to.
I am planning to extend the underground soil pipe next to the RV at a later date. I will see if I can get access to the tank and fit a spray nozzle to rinse it out each time.( Pipes and spray nozzles are what I do so should be easy).
I was thinking that as I drained it slowly some poop could of blocked the outlet but when I flushed the loo again some more came out.

Jimbo99

Subscriber
Never trust the sensors use common sense as Paul & Deb say 3 4 days for grey 7 days for the black If you have not got a rev flush tap just fill the toilette with a hose pipe cup full of washing powder go for a drive same with the grey then empty out as normal
3 or 4 times a year we go down to asda and buy there cheapest coke they have and about 17p a litre about 25 litres in the black go for a long drive drain has good as new even the sensors work
use the thinnest cheapest toilette paper you can find bio degradeable
jimbo

paul&debra

Subscriber
We have never had a problem with toilet paper, at the end of the day, it is a 3" pipe. Should empty no problem, but slow emptying doesn't help.

Last edited:

Merv-IOM

Subscriber
We use ours exactly the same as we would a house toilet - paper too and bags of water to flush it down. As mentioned previously, our black will last about 7 days and grey (we take full showers and wash lots of pots each day) will last 3 or 4 days (2 days if we use our washing machine!). Then, when we dump it, we use bags of fresh water to flush all the black out (3 full toilet bowlfuls at least which give it a whoosh!) Then out with the grey and maybe a sinkful of fresh again to whoosh that all out too. We then put a couple of toilet bowlfuls down (after shutting the valve) to keep the black tank nice and wet.

We ignore the sensors as they are completely useless - we do it all by experience and smell ;)

simsy56

Subscriber
Never had any problem with toilet paper. Tank sensors are known to be inaccurate, especially the black tank.
A macerator is a handy tool to have too! Plenty of water in the black tank helps it to empty, so a good flush after usage.
Some bathroom sinks are emptied into the black tank, which helps keep the black tank wet.
I have read on a US forum that 6 gallons of hot/warm water and washing powder placed into the tank helps clean the black tank.

Craig

Landy Lover

Subscriber
Periodically we use one of these http://www.starspangledspanner.co.uk/waste-water/master-blaster-tank-wand.html pushed down from the top of the toilet and allow it to fill the tank 2 or 3 times and that does a grand job of moving the most stubborn of 'things' including mountains and molehills !! its long enough to be able to push it around inside the tank and create a good swirl effect. Use it probably 2 or 3 times a year for a good clear out

Tommy

Subscriber
I have a wand same as landy lover great bit of kit my black tank is spotless worth the money