Waste disposal, i.e emptying onboard tanks without moving the rig

NeilandJo

Subscriber
Well what the title says really, having pitched up and not wanting to move the rig, how does everyone empty the black and gray water tanks?
We have purchased a used 30 gallon waste tote for £50 which i thought was a bargain, we have also bought a macerator pump to empty the tank should the be difficulty reaching a suitable disposal point.
We are also looking for a water bladder to put in the back of the truck to get fresh water.
How does everyone else get on.

Attachments

johnpengers

Subscriber
In my opinion you've done the right thing.My "tote" came from the Malvern show.I was wandering through the general camping section with old Mo and there was one outside a euro box for sale !!! It even had the Rv connector fitted,I think it was £25 quid !!!!.
No way would I pay £300 for one of the genuine american ones.
As for the loo,I've had the separate masorator and a masorator toilet.
No brainer.....Masorator loo everytime(y)
Just my opinion of course !;)

NeilandJo

Subscriber
Been looking at the macerator toilet, think it is on the cards, they aren’t even expensive.
I have 100m of water hose because I hated moving the motorhome once it was pitched, so will see what else we need once we have used it a few times, not long before we collect the fiver now.

Gareth62

Subscriber
Spot on !!. That's how we do it,I've recently fitted a masorator toilet to make things that little bit more civilised(y).From both tanks we now get liquid and to be honest the grey smells worse than the black !
If we can't get on an "all serviced" pitch then this is the only way to go.(y)
When you say macerator toilet, do you mean something like this?
link

Last edited:

Olley

Subscriber
Just make sure that everyone knows that putting wet wipes down a toilet if your using a macerator will result in you killing them.
Getting wet wipes out of an external macerator is yucky but easy, how do you manage with a macerating toilet?

NeilandJo

Subscriber
Wet wipes are a pita, hate them, should be banned, constantly blocking our shared drains, sick of unblocking them.
would be interesting to see how long people have them in a fiver when they pile up at the bottom of the soil pipe and block the toilet :).

paul&debra

Subscriber
I assume you can disassemble the macerator to clear a blockage. But my biggest concern, is the amount of water used. Ok for the big boys in the diesel pushers. But our water tank is not that big, neither is the black waste tank. With a normal toilet, the black waste tank will last two of us around 10 days. But even without macerator toilet, water seldom lasts beyond 4 days. And we use bottled water to drink and fill kettle.
Not that we can't sterilise our water system, but more about saving tank water for showers, washing up and toilet flushing.

NeilandJo

Subscriber
The macerator toilet uses 1 to 2l per flush, so not a huge amount, we have had relatives stay in our motorhome with us, i was emptying the toilet cassette twice a day, it lasted 3 to 4 days when it was just the two of us. the 120l water tank used to last us 4 to 5 days in the motorhome, we used the fresh water tank for everything including the toilet flush.

car1966

Subscriber
The macerator toilet uses 1 to 2l per flush, so not a huge amount, we have had relatives stay in our motorhome with us, i was emptying the toilet cassette twice a day, it lasted 3 to 4 days when it was just the two of us. the 120l water tank used to last us 4 to 5 days in the motorhome, we used the fresh water tank for everything including the toilet flush.
The trouble you have is the shower , is great and i am afraid i use to much water but if you're having a shower you need to get wet :):)

NeilandJo

Subscriber
The shower in our motorhome was brilliant, had a air whatsit head, so used less water, hope the fiver is as good, motorhome also had a thermostatic valve so the water was always at a preset temperature, that saves water too

jayandjen

Subscriber
the macerator pumps are replaceable - but not cheap. Cheaper than a new loo though! But don't put anything down there that wouldnt go through a blender!

Our Thetford tecma has adjustable water use age so we use it on the minimum length flush. The bowl is left empty after flushing so i have a wand? ( shower head with push button ) next to the loo to fill first / assist if required.

I fitted one because our black tank is really shallow and didnt get a good whoosh when emptying so thougth thats just trouble brewing in there!!!!

In all it possibly lasts less than a dump thro as with a wee only you still flush a bit of water down too .
Our black tank is 40 gallons and we can do 5 days 2 adults and 2 kids only using onboard facillities. Still The grey tank fills first

Bit gorey sorry but the new loos the best thing we fitted makes empting the tank easier for me and i use the really soft loo roll.

And the best thing.. when you fit too small a fuse and you son pops the fuse mid flush...stigma attached to him for life now :)

BLAIR

Subscriber
I bought the 28 Gallon Rhino Tote, fortunately it comes with an adaptor so it can be towed behind a car as it's so bloody heavy when it's full, I found out just how heavy the first time I filled it up and remembered my tow car doesn't have a tow hitch