Vortec 8.1 Auxiliary belt change.

Lenny

Subscriber
Just noticed when renewing sparkplugs through the doghouse that my aux belt was in poor condition, having a spare at hand I decided to go for it there and then.
I googled a tube video on this and downloaded a pic of how to route the belt around the pulleys.
First job to release the tension on the tensioner,it was all a bit tight compared to the video so the only way I could think of was to attach a mini rachet strap between the tensioner to the chassis and it worked a treat, quickly removing the old belt through the dog house opening,now the tricky bit was fitting the new belt from above placing an old cushion on top of the engine lying on my belly working blind and pushing the belt down between the pulley,s and the radiator cowling,when happy I was somewhere near ,got underneath and release the ratchet and Eureka,
Job done .Just a thought, maybe we should all make a visual check on our aux belt before heading off post lockdown along with all the usual checks .

rig7944

Subscriber
Just noticed when renewing sparkplugs through the doghouse that my aux belt was in poor condition, having a spare at hand I decided to go for it there and then.
I googled a tube video on this and downloaded a pic of how to route the belt around the pulleys.
First job to release the tension on the tensioner,it was all a bit tight compared to the video so the only way I could think of was to attach a mini rachet strap between the tensioner to the chassis and it worked a treat, quickly removing the old belt through the dog house opening,now the tricky bit was fitting the new belt from above placing an old cushion on top of the engine lying on my belly working blind and pushing the belt down between the pulley,s and the radiator cowling,when happy I was somewhere near ,got underneath and release the ratchet and Eureka,
Job done .Just a thought, maybe we should all make a visual check on our aux belt before heading off post lockdown along with all the usual checks .
I have noticed some where on mine wen under the Rv will be doing mine for certain

RV Neal

Subscriber
I had a new diesel injector pump fitted to my 6.5TD Chevy many years back and the serpentine belt was in tatters. Don't know how it got me to West Midland American Vehicles! I think I got the record for Japanese philosophy "Just In Time".