Trip to Portugal

Member No
RV Type
C Class
Model
Forest River Sunseeker 3100
RV Experience
Since 2009
Hi, Emma & myself are heading of for a nice long trip down to portugal for the winter not taken the van over seas before so I have a couple of questions if anyone can answer please.
1,We will be on site for a period of time and will need Gas at some stage we have a onboard tank so don't want to drive the van of to get any, do I need to get a extend a stay kit and a refillable cylinder?or is there another way?
2, Do I need to get light deflectors for the van?
3, Am I wise not to book any over night sites on the way down and just park up in rest areas?
With Thanks
Shawn & Emma

T

Toffs-rv

Hi, Emma & myself are heading of for a nice long trip down to portugal for the winter not taken the van over seas before so I have a couple of questions if anyone can answer please.
1,We will be on site for a period of time and will need Gas at some stage we have a onboard tank so don't want to drive the van of to get any, do I need to get a extend a stay kit and a refillable cylinder?or is there another way?
3, Am I wise not to book any over night sites on the way down and just park up in rest areas?
With Thanks
Shawn & Emma

Hi

Sounds like a fantastic way to spend the winter I envy you

I can't answer question 1 and 2 however as for stopping off in rest areas, I did this the first time I took the mh over to France and then was told in no uncertain terms that it was not a good idea and can be unsafe.

I didn't experience any problems thankfully apart from noisy refrigerated trucks and even if to avoid those it is worth not staying in a services

I would suggest all the aires or I am sure there are links on here of RV friendly Aires etc that maybe you can plan your route by

I am sure someone way more experienced than me will be along soon to advise

Cheers
Gary

poacher

Life Member
Member No
Apart from being very envious of your winter in the sun, may I suggest

That taking the van off-site in order to fill 'her' up with LPG once in a while is IMHO no bad thing

We try to move ours, about once every 4 weeks is only to make sure everything keeps working - it is an excuse to move the slides, it makes sure that brakes don't bind etc - it also reminds me to 'run' the genny which otherwise might get forgotten for months on end due to being on a hook up

We try and combine the movement with something useful - last time it was 'Tesco's' :biggrin: - this time we topped her up with LPG and found the canopy we couldn't get under :cursing:

Yes - a pig tail and cylinder will keep you 'gassed' if that's the route you choose

Headlight deflectors - yes

There are others who can better suggest on overnight 'siting' than I

What ever you choose, enjoy - we follow you next year :001_smile:

poacher

Member No
RV Type
American A Class
Model
Fleetwood Bounder 34J
RV Experience
Not long enough
With Thanks
Shawn & Emma

Hi Shawn and Emma

:001_smile:We travelled down to Spain last year and will be returning in January with a hope of travelling to :001_smile:portugal as well. When we were there we bought a gas bottle and regulator from a car boot for a few euros. We fitted a gas tap/spigott to the RV which can be used to run a BBQ or connect an external gas bottle. (make sure the inboard domestic tank is turned OFF when external bottle is connected). Refills for the bottles were only 10 euros which we got at local bricolarge.
:001_cool:You do not need light deflectors as RV headlights are not directional
:001_tongue:Our trip last year saw us spend 6 weeks in France - which we booked campsites but when we met up with friends and travelled to Spain we just stayed in lorry parks, restaurant car parks and anywhere we could find somewhere large enough for 2 RVs. Just remember if you feel OK then stay but if you are not happy move on. Don't leave it too late in the day to look for somewhere to stay - no fun in the dark!! Last of all have a great time never know we might meet enroute. :thumbup:

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Hymer B644
RV Experience
lost count
See my RV suitable aires and sites Google map.. link in signature

All have been used by RVers many have pictures, some information and with GPS data ..

We used a gas bottle as previously suggested

safe travels

Jim

vwalan

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
lynton 5th wheeler
Model
mitsubishi canter
RV Experience
since childhood
portugal is dearer on gas than spain. .you could use uk bottle and get a filla from flea bay. i use spanish bottle and adapt to fill it if needed in portugal. filled a few uk bottles las winter never had any probs . but moving your rv and filling up is wise .how long can your tanks last.
whats a campsite . thousands dont use them .

C

cannible

With Thanks
Shawn & Emma

If your heading down to the Algarve, you will get no trouble filling up with gas, at the minute it is 68 cents a litre, but best to get extended pipe and bottle, they also fill the bottles up, also if you are coming this way contact me, i know a few good places to park and safe near the beach. save trip .

R

RVUSA

We have extensively used the aires on the main autorutes without (virtually) any incident. We do however believe some people have experienced problems, but in percentage terms these are minimal and the law of averages means someone at sometime will experience a problem. However by taking sensible precautions, you can minimise the risk. When on autoroute aires we usually:

1. Park only in well used and lit aires, such as those with a fuel station. Yes it's noisy, but much safer.

2. Park next to other motorhomes, or lorries if not as better than on your own.

3. Try and arrive early and make an effort to talk to your neighbours for the night and let them know who is on board, so that they may notice unusual people around.

4. Park so you can leave quickly if you have a problem. I really mean drive away, so no jacks down etc. Driving away is better than confrontation.

5. Don't hesitate to set off your alarm if you get any problems.

6. Oh, and you can always tie a chunky dog lead around your ladder rack as a deterrent!

The only problem we have ever had was a drunk (or drugged, or both) vagrant trying our lockers and door in the aide at the port in Calais. He didn't seem to want to leave when the mrs shouted at him from inside the RV (yes he was outside), which woke me, but he legged it when I ran upto the front door. Mind you it's a bit of a shock having a 6th tall 17 stone naked man running towards you at 4am in the morning I guess! What was the line....... 'that's not a gun. THIS is a gun.....'

Oh, and I did open the door and give chase for 50 yards just to make sure he kept running.

Anyway, good luck for the trip and hope you do well with the free parking at the aires. It certainly keeps the cost down when travelling.

P

PeteH

Euro travel

Hi

We have done this several times Now. The first time was 2003 with a convoy of about 17!!!. (VERY interesting!!).

TRAVEL:- RVUSA`s advice is Good, I will only add:- Dependent on timing, a lot of sites and "aires" especially in France are closed after New year, we have struggled to find over-nighting places but town centre "aires" are perhaps the safest?? (we once overnighted in the car park of the town cemetery!!!) The worst bit of France is the run from Calais as far down as Bordeaux not too many open places. Bob a Di at "Park Verger" are open all year. Toll way aires might be safest , based on the fact that fewer Thieves will PAY to access them?

GAS:- SPANISH Bottles can be got at Flea markets for a few E`s. ORANGE and MARKED "PROPANO" Then refills at many larger campsites and "ferreteria" ,you need a Connection valve for the bottle (Again Ferreteria) NOT a Regulator as you feed the gas in BEFORE the R-V regulator..

4 Port HIGH PRESSURE Connection from most R-V suppliers fits in your gas line on the R-V, after the tank shut-off valve and before the R-V regulator Valve. If you have a CAMCO 2010 catalogue Page 166. If you fit it yourself (not strictly legal!!) use a soapy water mix to test for any leaks!!!!.

Be careful about headlight deflectors SOME "conversions" do use the UK Dip Lights (Mostly the 4 light jobs) and these are "handed" (I know mine are) There should be a marking on the lens.

pete

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Hymer B644
RV Experience
lost count
We have extensively used the aires on the main autorutes without (virtually) any incident. We do however believe some people have experienced problems, but in percentage terms these are minimal and the law of averages means someone at sometime will experience a problem. However by taking sensible precautions, you can minimise the risk. When on autoroute aires we usually:

1. Park only in well used and lit aires, such as those with a fuel station. Yes it's noisy, but much safer.

2. Park next to other motorhomes, or lorries if not as better than on your own.

3. Try and arrive early and make an effort to talk to your neighbours for the night and let them know who is on board, so that they may notice unusual people around.

Sorry, but I strongly disagree with this advice ..

I would never use an Autoroute Aire .. of any description, the risk of break in is just not worth it, there is no safety in numbers or bright lights, that is a popular misconception.

One RVOC member was traveling with friends and was burgled on a busy Autoroute aire.

Please don't get me wrong, we love aires and have used them extensively all over France while full timing .. ( see my map ) but motorhome aires should not be confused with Autoroute aires, they are not the same.

Plan your journey and come off the autoroute and use a village motorhome aire .. that is my advice.

Jim

Olley

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A
Model
Winnebago Brave 31'
RV Experience
Hi I agree with both of them :biggrin: we have stayed on motorway aires, and will again, we don't always have objectives in mind when we travel, so when I have had enough we look for an aire, if the nearest one is 10 miles away in the wrong direction, we use the motorway ones.

If your staying on sites with say a 10amp supply, with a couple of electric heaters you won't use much gas, so I wouldn't worry to much about running out. Portugal is a lovely country, wish I was going.

olley

P

PeteH

Gas v Electric

Hi

A word of caution. A lot more Spanish sites are now METERING electricity. there is often a daily allowance, (Circa 6kw) beyond that you pay (x cents / Kw). Gas at about 10E for an 11kg cyl, CAN work out cheaper, especially if it turns cold. The amperage can vary enormously 6amp is regular, with some sites charging extra to upgrade to 10amp.

This info was Correct @ April 2009.

pete

Back