Travellers cheques or card?

Pedro1122

Subscriber
Planning a trip to Spain and France in March, does anybody use travellers cheques? or just plastic?

chatter

Subscriber
euros + english + cards
a lot of little shops only take cash, tolls if you use them best is cash unless you have one of those toll box accounts, can change english at post offices in france, failing that one of those cards that you load when the rate is good and then can spend when over there

paul&debra

Subscriber
Revolut card is brilliant, you preloaded with cash. Convert to Euro's at the best rate you will get. Then use in all the tolls and service stations. You can top it up directly from your current account on your phone. A little cash for cafe coffees

Pedro1122

Subscriber
Thanks for replies! I ask as I have a few travellers cheques, bought when the Euro was a decent price for a special occasion! I think the Revolut Card is pre pay? so sounds good. I also have zero idea of a budget as we will be taking most important things (Lager and Gin) with us.

Ruff Nomads

Subscriber
Thanks for replies! I ask as I have a few travellers cheques, bought when the Euro was a decent price for a special occasion! I think the Revolut Card is pre pay? so sounds good. I also have zero idea of a budget as we will be taking most important things (Lager and Gin) with us.
Not really used cash for the whole trip. Card gives a great rate and doesn’t charge. Revolut all the time when we lived here and is a good option if you can catch a good rate. Also very safe if you use it. Both Revolut and credit card are on my phone and touch payments are everywhere. Most secure. Never swipe!! If they don’t chip and pin or touch go elsewhere or cash.

RV Neal

Subscriber
Lager and gin are both considerably cheaper in Spain!

chatter

Subscriber
dont know if still applies as not been over for a few years now but when i used to go found i had to have passport as well as card in a lot of stores as they asked to see it (passport was to prove i was card holder)

grumpy

Subscriber
Have $ and€ FX cards, for petrol and large purchases we preload every time we have some spare cash and quite a nice surprise occasionally how much you’ve squirrel away.
Also no big card bill when you get back.
Still take some cash and credit cards as well.

Ruff Nomads

Subscriber
dont know if still applies as not been over for a few years now but when i used to go found i had to have passport as well as card in a lot of stores as they asked to see it (passport was to prove i was card holder)
Not no more. Just touch and go. Chip and pin has been the norm for a while but I have been surprised how common touch payment is. Good for all concerned.

Pedro1122

Subscriber
Revolut card is brilliant, you preloaded with cash. Convert to Euro's at the best rate you will get. Then use in all the tolls and service stations. You can top it up directly from your current account on your phone. A little cash for cafe coffees
Now ordered the Revolut! Looks ideal.