Transmission cooler.

RLongford

Hello, new member and looking for some advice / experience on transmission coolers. I have a 2007 ford f53 chassis with a 6.8 V10. I'm looking to tow for the first time. The trailer will total 3t. Does anyone have any thoughts on coolers and if they're even needed ? I'll be towing about 6k miles a year.
Many thanks in advance.

paul&debra

Subscriber
Have a search for Adi4 he services and fixes Rv's in Weymouth and will be able to advise hopefully, also Duncan at Starspangled Spanner, and mobile RV all should hopefully be able to give you an answer. But I dont think it will be much of an issue as long as your tow bar is rated for the weight. Usually has a weights label just behind the ball. Most of us tow, a Tow car, and many have larger cars on trailers.

paul&debra

Subscriber
Not sure, but to personal message people you may have to become a subscriber. It's only £10 per year and I promise will be the best £10 you ever spend on your RV. Just click on your name on the blue bar at the top, then click on account upgrades. Then RVOC subscription. Welcome to the forum by the way, lots of very helpful people on here as well as few jokers. But all in the best possible spirit.(y);):D

tacr2man

Subscriber
Have you checked to see if it already has one ? If it doesnt then I would fit one, as heat is the quickest way to kill an auto trans. You cant really have too much cooling of autos , I used to fit them to automatics for customers out in Australia. Most autos have a heat exchanger in with the engine radiator , so any extra you can cool the trans oil will help take some load of the engine cooling system as well :)

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
Looking at the Rockauto.com website, it looks like the transmission cooler is in the radiator. Personally I'd say that unless you are towing seriously heavy you'll be fine with this, the transmission will only build excessive heat if the torque converter isn't locked up, which is generally pulling away & in first & second gear on steep hills.

Trekkin

Looking at that adrian it is going to depend obviously on model, but mostly o how much he is going to load the RV. It looks like it's maximum towing weight is between 2.5 ton and 3.5 ton average.

Suspect the limiting factor will be a 5000lb tow hitch (2.2t) 3t May be a problem, and keeping the GVCW to 26000lb. Below this probably OK, without cooling, driving licence permitting.

RLongford

Great thanks for all the replies! When I bought the Rv Jamie from Castle Motors told me on an old Rv yes but not to bother as these more modern Rvs are capable without an extra one. But I wanted some other opinions as back in the day ( the 70s!) you would always have an extra cooler fitted. The Rv is 22000lbs chassis and has a heavy duty 7000lb tow hitch, so that should be ok. As Paul said, I'll call around...and yes I'll become a subscriber (y)

motor roamin

Subscriber
Trekkin beat me to it, I doubt you have any bigger than a 5,000ib max tow bar and it may be that your max allowance for towing could be below that, I would do some homework first, also as Adtian states it also depends on licence held.

motor roamin

Subscriber
Great thanks for all the replies! When I bought the Rv Jamie from Castle Motors told me on an old Rv yes but not to bother as these more modern Rvs are capable without an extra one. But I wanted some other opinions as back in the day ( the 70s!) you would always have an extra cooler fitted. The Rv is 22000lbs chassis and has a heavy duty 7000lb tow hitch, so that should be ok. As Paul said, I'll call around...and yes I'll become a subscriber (y)
You posted this as I replied so ignore most of what I said and I assume you have a C+E licence with the weight of your RV just check its gross combined weight as some have a higher rated tow hitch than they can tow legally

RLongford

Update,
Had an interesting phone call with a helpful technician from Camping World.
He said the f53 with a V10 has a well designed system for keeping the gearbox cool. Even when towing heavy trailers. Adding an additional cooler will more than likely upset things. He said adding an independently controlled set of cooling fans maybe worth while if it does start regularly running hot in traffic. And you'd get a warning light telling you so. So by the sounds of things, best left alone!.. oh and also the obvious, take out of OD on hills and traffic.

Al&jan

Subscriber
Hello, new member and looking for some advice / experience on transmission coolers. I have a 2007 ford f53 chassis with a 6.8 V10. I'm looking to tow for the first time. The trailer will total 3t. Does anyone have any thoughts on coolers and if they're even needed ? I'll be towing about 6k miles a year.
Many thanks in advance.