towing weights

Daybreaker

Subscriber
Hi anyone on here got an idea if I could tow a light trailer and micro car so that I don't need to take c+e my gvwr is 17000, uvw approx. 14844 lbs, ncc is 2156 lbs and gcwr 21000 lbs whatever they are

Trekkin

Trust this helps

GVWR gross vehicle weight 17000lb or 7.7tonnes ( max vehicle weight all loaded up)
UVW unloaded vehicle weight 14844lb or 6.7tonnes ( net weight without your possessions usually some fuel and driver)
NCC nett carrying capacity 2186lb or 980kg ( your payload or pots pans and possessions etc)
GCWR gross combined weight rating 21000lb or 9.5tonnes ( max train weight. prime mover and trailer combined weight if your licence allows)

Strictly speaking at 7.7tonnes HGV is required, has it been down plated ? if it has been down-plated to 7.5t your max trailer weight is 750kg so you may struggle with trailer and car

If you already have HGV "C" then the max trailer weight without "E" is 750kg

Good luck

Trekkin

Not sure of the trailer weight, it would need to be replated to 750kg.
The reviews of the microcars are not good, and one that I have seen do not look too safe,
Sorry cannot help with the trailer

motor roamin

Subscriber
Have a look at a smart car trailer, they will take a microcar. Can get it played to a gross of 750kg.

Whats the unladen weight of the trailer? before you go to the expense of buying one because the unladen weight plus the unladen weight of the car needs to come in under or at 750kg remember road dirt can make a diference if you are that close.

phil1946

Subscriber
My understanding is that if it has not been downplated to 7500Kg or less it cannot be driven on a 'car licence'.

At 7500Kg it could carry 800Kg of 'load'.

If downplated below 7500Kg (to say to 7200Kg leaving 500Kg payload) you could tow 1050Kg or a trailer plated as having a maximum gross weight of 1050Kg.

ie a pre '97 licence with 107 gives a Maximum Train Weight of 8250Kg.

I am sure Rick will let us know if I am right. (Thanks in advance Rick for your opinion)

Elvis

The above is bang on, sorry but the max you can tow is 750kg with either a C1+E with a 107

Am I being a bit dumb here isn't 107 "not more than 8,250 kilograms" as per https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-codes or is the site wrong?

[EDIT] https://www.gov.uk/vehicles-you-can-drive/y/medium-sized-vehicle/yes/before-jan-1997

[EDIT2] Is it something to do with date of issue?
I passed my test in '95, so have C1E, but the license was "issued" in 2013 so it's "Category C1 vehicles with trailers over 750kg; the fully-loaded trailer can’t weigh more than the vehicle and combined weight of vehicle and trailer can’t be over 12,000kg" as per https://www.gov.uk/old-driving-licence-categories
[EDIT 3] With the 107 restriction reducing overall train weight to 8,250Kg

Last edited:

motor roamin

Subscriber
Ok don't let's confuse b+e with c1+e first a b+e obtained pre 97 can have a combined weight of up to 12 ton but unlikely you will obtain this with a legal combination though not impossible and that one can get quite complicated.

A C1+E with a 107 restriction, allows a gross combined weight of 8250kg not a maximum gross trailer weight of 750kg therefore if your RV has a gross weight of 6000kg your trailer can have a gross weight of 2250kg giving a total combination weight of your max allowance of 8250kg hope that makes sense and clears it up again :rofl:

All the best Rick

Daybreaker

Subscriber
What I mean is could I then tow with an "A" frame something bigger than a micro car. Failing that can I get it replated (the bus that is) or whatever to enable me to tow a small car

paul&debra

Subscriber
Other than Micro cars, I don't believe there are any cars out there that weigh below 750Kg even with an A frame:D:D:D

motor roamin

Subscriber
Any thing on an a frame you will need to add the a frame weight to the GROSS weight of the tow car (not the unladen weight) if that's under 750kg then your in (y)

Daybreaker

Subscriber
Looks like it will be then as them micro cars are lightweight. Still safer than a push or motorbike and warmer/drier