Towing experiance

Hi i wondered if anyone can help i have just joined this foreham and am looking at buying a 5th wheel from Paul at CCRV i have a ford ranger 3.2 auto and are also looking at getting paul to fit the hitch and air bags
Does anyone know if there is anywhere i can get some experiance towing a 5th wheel

Merv-IOM

Subscriber
Hi Barrie and welcome to the club. I'm sure someone will be able to advise you, but for now we do have a resident HGV trainer on here, motor roamin, he's the best chap to sort you out.

Good luck with your new 5'er... you'll have lots of fun in it.

Merv and Sandra

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
I know that the Fifth wheel co in Wales offer some training/practice when you buy from them, I don't know of anywhere that offers anything similar. You could get a few lessons with an hgv driving school (Rick, Motor roamin on here is great) but that would mean getting your hgv provisional licence first, although he could possibly do the reversing bit without as it's not on public roads?
If you've reversed a normal trailer, it's a little different with a 5th wheel due to the pivot point being above the rear axle rather than a few feet behind it, you soon get used to it. Just take your time.

motor roamin

Subscriber
Hi there Barrie welcome to the mad house, we can offer training/ familiarisation days and that would need to be in your rig to save you obtaining extra licences, to be honest if you have towed a caravan/trailer at any time the principle is the same and with practice you will have no problems, one thing to make sure you fully understand on purchase is hooking the trailer to the prime mover and understanding the braking system and how it works, but if you feel you need a course give me a call 0797 475 8989, oh and thanks to all you guys who always recommend us I know a lot of you passed with us but it is always appreciated.

Hi there Barrie welcome to the mad house, we can offer training/ familiarisation days and that would need to be in your rig to save you obtaining extra licences, to be honest if you have towed a caravan/trailer at any time the principle is the same and with practice you will have no problems, one thing to make sure you fully understand on purchase is hooking the trailer to the prime mover and understanding the braking system and how it works, but if you feel you need a course give me a call 0797 475 8989, oh and thanks to all you guys who always recommend us I know a lot of you passed with us but it is always appreciated.
Hi thanks for the update I have minimal experience of towing but would love to gain some experience of pulling a 5th wheel
Where are you situated? As I am in Essex but am willing to travel if needed

Hi Barrie we bought our 5th wheel from paul at ccrv, they will give you training on hooking up and a good practice of towing your unit before they will let you leave. They are very helpfull (y)
Thanks for the response before I make the leap of faith and get my vehicle converted I want to make sure it’s for us we love touring and am looking at touring for up to 6 months at a time thus the reason for getting a home from home
Thanks for the reference for Paul and his team at CCRV he seems like a nice chap albeit very laid back!

simsy56

Subscriber
Welcome to the forum! We had a fifth wheel combo, and it was great. Towing is easier than a caravan and car, so is the reversing. When hooked up be absolutely sure you have the trailer locked in the jaws, do a walk around checking everything is good, and then do another check. You will love it.
As an ex class one HGV driver, a walk around check is a vital for safe travel.

Craig

motor roamin

Subscriber
Hi thanks for the update I have minimal experience of towing but would love to gain some experience of pulling a 5th wheel
Where are you situated? As I am in Essex but am willing to travel if needed
Hi we are in Leicester, we use pick ups every day running 4 on car and trailer training to be honest after trying every pick up available by far the best on fuel and pulling power though now only a 1.9ltr has been the Izuzu dmax very few problems and a 5year 125.000 mile warranty, though there is a new hyundia pick up out and coming to the UK soon having run many hyundia's over the years I will be very interested yo borrow one of these for two week to trial them, the dealer has already agreed to this when they arrive, should be interesting.

Hi Barrie we bought our 5th wheel from paul at ccrv, they will give you training on hooking up and a good practice of towing your unit before they will let you leave. They are very helpfull (y)
hi David thanks for the update and reference for CCRV looking at the website i noted that the team at CCRV provide 3 nights free of charge in the hope that we can pick up we need to be able to safely hitch and tow my 5th wheel

Wigster

Subscriber
We were there for a week because they were busy but they moved the hitch on my pickup rearward to decrease the danger of cab strike and chocked the hitch so it moves on the fiver giving more turning circle.
They seemed to know exactly what they were doing.
My last job was an assembly technician at Rolls Royce in Chichester so i understood and approved what they were doing.

Just read my post blimey i should be on commission (y)