Towbar motorcycle carrier

Marty

hi all,
I want to fit a motorcycle carrier to the back of my rv, not the hydraulic type just ramped.
It needs to be able to handle 275kgs- hence removal of generator as I've mentioned before.
I've seen a few online just wondering if anyone uses one and can give any advice on what to go for?

Cheers
Marty

Last edited:

Marty

Thanks for the link Paul & Debra very helpful (y)
Reading through that link and looking at the back of my rv I have got a square box section receiver that hopefully could be utilised, not 100% sure about weight limit though and if any reinforcement needs to be done

Nice bike stunette!!
Thanks Jason I will send elitegsp a message

stunette

Subscriber
That's what I started with, the box that receives the tow hitch, & welded two more the same on the chassis..

Martha's Vineyard

Subscriber
We bought a rack which was supposed to do the job but it flexed all over the place. Beware of off the shelf racks as they can be flimsier than required. We took ours to a metalworker who beefed it right up, now it works a treat. If you are carrying a bigger bike, you may need extra fittings, relying on the tow bar box section alone may cause problems.

Marty

We bought a rack which was supposed to do the job but it flexed all over the place. Beware of off the shelf racks as they can be flimsier than required. We took ours to a metalworker who beefed it right up, now it works a treat. If you are carrying a bigger bike, you may need extra fittings, relying on the tow bar box section alone may cause problems.
Yep, you can't over do it when it comes to hanging quarter of a tonne off the back of your motor home (y)

tacr2man

Subscriber
the hitch reciever on your RV should be specced as per its GCWR minus the GVWR on the vin plate . The hitch usually has a label on it stating max pull and max down-force . If its a class 111 hitch(most likely) it will be around the 6000lbs and the usual 10% to give 600lbs tongue weight
You also need to be aware of the rear axle loading caused by moment arm of the overhang rear load. Another factor if using a non lifting carrier is the height needed when carrying to avoid the problem with grounding out on ramps .

Designed on paper a fork lift type of style using a lecci winch. Wanted to use it for the bikes (electric) and a easy way for me to get on roof.

But the dreaded elf and safety and need weights and structural info it never got made.