Toll booths in france

W

wolins

Hi all, we are planning on taking our RV to france in august. I have been over a few times in the car and once in a caravan that was 8ft wide anyway, but is there a specific lane or toll to go through with the RV due to height? I know that some of those tolls were very very tight when i pulled the caravan through last year!
Also do you get charged the same rate as the trucks for using the motorways?

Thanks

Member No
RV Type
C Class
Model
Fourwinds 5000 31P
RV Experience
Hi all, we are planning on taking our RV to france in august. I have been over a few times in the car and once in a caravan that was 8ft wide anyway, but is there a specific lane or toll to go through with the RV due to height? I know that some of those tolls were very very tight when i pulled the caravan through last year!
Also do you get charged the same rate as the trucks for using the motorways?

Thanks

Hi Wolins & welcome.

Unless you are towing you are usually Class 3. See link below.

No specific lanes. Just avoid the height barriers and the Telepeage lanes. Telepeage is for account holders only. And yes, they are very tight. Make sure you line yourself up before getting too close. :thumbup:

http://www.cofiroute.fr/cofiroute.nsf/en/toll-station-vehicle-category.htm

snowbird

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Tiffin Allegro
RV Experience
Since 2000
Some are tight to say the least,watch the mirrors and watch the overhang when pulling away.Obviously you wont be using the car lanes with the height barrier but some do have have a wide load lane to the right.
Regarding cost,you will go as class 3.

S

sloberdoberbob

Some are not as wide as I would like

The height is the thing to watch. Also remember as the tole measures the RV height it dispenses the ticket at Trucker driver window height..real pain if you are a C class or B class as you have to climb up on the seat and reach up.

We have had to pull our mirrors in many a time and one of the problems we found is not all exit tolls are manned and you have to either pay cash or card and they tend to be down low and if you have a C or B class you cannot get the door open to get the change. Have had to get Sue to get out more than one as we got to the protection are of the booth.

Make sure you do not enter an account lane whatever you do.. it causes chaos and they will make you back out.. great fun with a trailer. We now tavel as much as we can on the main roads which are more interesting and just as fast..plus fuel is cheaper... worth getting a Caxton prepaid FX card and load euros for night time fuel as most fuel is dispenses by card payment.. The Caxton FX means you buy and load it in the UK at the rate you want to and then you only pay euros and no exchange loading or fees.. plus it can be used as a normal mastercard... they say it does ot work on tolls, but some say it does.

Lastly watch the barrier as you exit.. not all open up full and I have caught the RV on one. But take your time and you will be OK. Nearly always a pull over area before or after the toll plaza.

Bob:blushing:

Back