Thorntons Holt wont take an RV?

W

wolins

Hi i found a campsite near nottingham via this website called Thorntons Holt, i emailed them yesterday to see if it was possible to make a booking for one night in august while on my way to dover ( i have to work in nottingham for a few hours on the day we go down ) I got an email back which said 'Sorry your van is too big for our site' No hi, or sorry or anything, just that!

Anyone else had a similar problem?

I did however find a site about a mile away from that one at the nottingham watersports centre, who was more than churpy on a email and welcomes the RV said he already has one there now, and has had a 42ft one there apparently!

Cheers

Richard

Member No
RV Type
a class
Model
gulf stream sun voyager
RV Experience
since 2008
hi, happens a lot with rv,s. sort of comes with the territory

but if they said " sorry your van is to big for the site" then atleast they said sorry. some dont even answer emails.

what would be nice though is for them to recommend somewhere nearby that does take rv,s ( if they know that is).

Last edited:
P

PeteH

thortons holt??

Hi

This "rings a bell" I THINK it is a location I booked a 34ft r-v into in 1997, only to find (on arrival) "I was too big". Caused a bit of a problem as it was late afternoon in JANUARY. we eventualy found a site CC listed near Newark who where more that willling to take us.

Pete

Olley

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A
Model
Winnebago Brave 31'
RV Experience
Hi Richard I have stayed there many times while our daughter was at notts uni; however shortly after the last time Dick (Big pitch guide) said that they had asked to be taken out of his guide, no idea why.

They don't have an accessible dump point unless you have over 100' of hose, so I did wonder if someone had dumped in their field. Seeing as we have been there many times I was intending to phone and see if we could still get on. Its not as if they don't have room, as many of the pitches can easily take a large RV. Bit of a bummer if they say no, as over the road is a Crown Carvery, who do a smashing cheap as chips carvery.

Ian

Last edited:
Member No
RV Type
A Class 39ft Diesel Pusher
Model
Fleetwood Discovery 39S
RV Experience
Since Oct 2007
Hi Richard, welcome to the forum, I'm curious, just how BIG are you?

Mick :001_smile:

S

spire flyer

thornton halt

First place we ever stopped in RV nearly 8 years ago but if its changed owners and they dont want us we will have to spend our money elsewhere.

S

sloberdoberbob

or even try and charge you for two pitches

hi, happens a lot woth rv,s. sort of comes with the territory

but if they said " sorry your van is to big for the site" then atleast they said sorry. some dont even answer emails.

what would be nice though is for them to recommend somewhere nearby that does take rv,s ( if they know that is).

Getting an answer is good.. as said a lot do not reply. or if they do they want to charge you for two pitches.

Bob:blushing:

Dodgey

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
B class
Model
Intervec Falcon 190 on a Ford E250
RV Experience
Since 2005
Heres a question for you all on this subject.

Do call/email and say we've got a xxft RV or xxft Motorhome?

Initially we did the RV bit, and we at the time had a little 22ft and it quickly became obvious that RV = 40ft quad slide monster to most, dispite mentioning 22ft so adjusted to xx MH and found the sharp intakes of breath/no we don't do those vanished.

M

moandick

As Olley says - the Big Pitch Guide was asked to remove the Thorntons Holt site as they no longer wished to take RVs of any sort.

I don't know why - but to be honest, we can now tell you of at least 6 sites in Nottinghamshire that will happily accept RVs - so why should we bother about one snotty-nosed little site? :001_tongue:

Their loss as far as we are concerned. :thumbup:

Dick

M

motorvating

Heres a question for you all on this subject.

Do call/email and say we've got a xxft RV or xxft Motorhome?

Initially we did the RV bit, and we at the time had a little 22ft and it quickly became obvious that RV = 40ft quad slide monster to most, dispite mentioning 22ft so adjusted to xx MH and found the sharp intakes of breath/no we don't do those vanished.

We do the same; always say we have a 24ft motorhome, amd never had a problem.

Back