Thinking of up plating RV

onan

Subscriber
Your best bet is to use Gareth Marsh at SvTech. He is the American vehicle expert and is well aware that UK importers had RVs downplated by the manufacturers to meet licence requirements. If my memory is correct, Coachman was imported by Travelworld in 2005.

He will want to see a copy of the Coachman brochure, V5, photo of the existing plate certificate, photo of VIN number and photos of tyres on front and rear showing load rating.

Ruff Nomads

Subscriber
Found it in the front wheel arch, it has all the info I need thats a big help thanks obviously I've blanked out the vin to put this on here
View attachment 26175
That’s confirmation for you and I would say all you’ll need for DVLA to register you GVW (total weight with dogs beer etc) at 8.1 Tonnes.
what did the weigh bridge say? Just under 7.5? So you’ve got 500kg to play with for a payload.
out of interest, how many slide outs do you have Gareth?

Last edited:

motor roamin

Subscriber
This is not unsurprising many petrol engine RV's have only 5-600kg payload meaning most can't travel with a tank of water and if they get downplated because owners have added things like gas conversion solar etc they may have little or no payload and are in fact overweight going down the road, you have just proved Gareth what I have been saying for years.

Ruff Nomads

Subscriber
This is not unsurprising many petrol engine RV's have only 5-600kg payload meaning most can't travel with a tank of water and if they get downplated because owners have added things like gas conversion solar etc they may have little or no payload and are in fact overweight going down the road, you have just proved Gareth what I have been saying for years.
Well it looks like we got there in the end. I think you’re spot on with this point that as I’ve said previously, ain’t rocket science. It’s simply an answer folk don’t want to hear and dealers cling to and want to say. Fact is most Euro Boxes suffer exactly the same issues. The only safe answer is to get an RV or MH built into a proper HGV or Bus chassis.
My advice to Gareth is, stay away from Germany or leave something or someone at home. I’m guessing the beer and dog are safe. (y):D
This has been a really great thread. Thanks everyone. It’s been a good school day for RVers and like MR has confirmed a long standing Theory.

Last edited:

Ruff Nomads

Subscriber
Isn't water and fuel classed as consumables? i.e. not a fixed asset of the vehicle?
Makes no difference, it’s weight and that’s that.
don’t get confused with the factory weight known as Kerb Weight in the States. that is the dry weight of the naked chassis with oils and coolant and enough fuel to drive it off the production line, although sometimes this can include a full tank of fuel depending on the manufacturer.
Remember This is all about the chassis, not a motor home or RV. All the stuff that makes one of those is just extra weight taking up the payload of the naked chassis.
To answer one of Gareth’s previous questions in relation LPG. LPG weighs about half as much as water so 1litre of LPG weighs 0.5kg.
another factor to add over and above the weight of the tanks and pipe work

Last edited:

jayandjen

Subscriber
Gareth .... you will need to make up a new plate to fix to your rv next to the converters plate as part of uplating it.
Basically a sticker with new weights etc on it.
Not sure on the rules of what info it needs on it and if there is typing sizes / material requirements etc.

Gareth62

Subscriber
Got a reply from Coachmen
Not the one I wanted though but good job I have found that VIN Plate under the wheel arch..............

Regretfully, we do not have any information available as records and outstanding liabilities of products produced prior were not included in the sale of Coachmen RV in 2009 to our company, Forest River, Inc. Consolidated Leisure, a subsidiary of Coachmen Industries / Georgie Boy Mfg. was purchased by HIG Capital (located at 1450 Brickell Ave 31st Floor Miami, FL 33131). It's our understanding that under HIG, (Consolidated Leisure / Coachmen Industries / Georgie Boy Mfg.) are no longer in business. We at Coachmen RV / Forest River are truly sorry for the inconvenience and lack of information retained by the previous Ownership.