Thinking of up plating RV

Pedro1122

Subscriber
V5 now gone (recorded) with request for 8165kg as that what it say on the plate. Probably still not enough.
Thanks Ruff.... Beer weighs a lot! :)

Last edited:

Gareth62

Subscriber
I have to pull the RV from storage this week as she is due her MOT I think a trip to the council weighbridge is needed
They weigh free of charge but if a certificate is needed the last time I asked it was £20
for once she is compleatly empty at the moment nothing in her but 4x trojan batterys so thats 100kg and only half a tank of petrol. But the 3 x LPG tanks are all full, god knows what they weigh when full.

Last edited:

MudGuru

Subscriber
This is mine the combined axle weight adds up to 7499kg with gross weight as 7500kg
So does that mean I can only carry a bag of sugar any more and I'm over weight
Or is it the UVW 6760Kg thats the unlaided weight that would mean I can carry 740Kg

View attachment 26155
From my theory test that I passed not long ago, UVW = Curbside weight (no load, people, water, etc.). The GVW is the maximum weight of the vehicle with the driver, passengers and load. GAW are the maximum weights allowed over each axel, the axel itself must not be overloaded, keep your extra bag if sugar in the middle? :)

Quite often the sum of the axel weights are in excess of the GVW, it is just a loading consideration.

Please correct me if I'm in error.

Ruff Nomads

It’s not really rocket science. By design the axles have a Max weight before they break. This different front and back because each do different things and have different number of wheels to spread the load. The chassis has a max weight before it breaks or doesn’t stop. This is less than the total of the axles because the front of the chassis had an engine on it, the back has bugger all and humans can’t be trusted to distribute their load safely and evenly across it all. Therefore the lesser total GVW allows a margin for humans to cart around their crap in a safe manner on a vehicle that will not break and have half a chance of stopping. If Loading is done sensibly, to the GVW the axle max weight would not be exceeded. This is all set by the manufacturer.
if this is the original manufacturer plate then you will not be able to uprate it. At least not without a lot of trouble.
Gareth based on the numbers, the image of your plate looks like it may be a downplated plate stuck in by some previous owner. To sell it as a 7.5tonne driver. Without the full spec and details I can’t say any more.
By all means weigh it empty, that’ll tell you how much you can carry, however if you really want to be sure, weigh if fully loaded, including dogs family and beer.
At least that way you’ll know who or what to leave at home. You’ll need the beer so it’ll be between the wife and the dog.
Over to you , good luck.

Last edited:

Ruff Nomads

From my theory test that I passed not long ago, UVW = Curbside weight (no load, people, water, etc.). The GVW is the maximum weight of the vehicle with the driver, passengers and load. GAW are the maximum weights allowed over each axel, the axel itself must not be overloaded, keep your extra bag if sugar in the middle? :)

Quite often the sum of the axel weights are in excess of the GVW, it is just a loading consideration.

Please correct me if I'm in error.
you are spot on.

jayandjen

Subscriber
Gareth.
If your original CONVERTERS plate on the rv says 7500kgs it will be more difficult.as you will have to prove the vehicle can be uprated. Without modifications s
In this case sv-techs your best

Some importers had there vehicles manufacturer(converter) fit 7500kg plates as original to make it easier registering it at that weight this end.... hence why some rvs are reg at 7500 and actually weigh more empty.

If your original converters plate shows higher weights with a second plate above showing lower weights etc it will have been down plated over here.
In this case a letter to the dvla is tillbthats needed to return it to its previous higher plated rating.

Good luck

Gareth62

Subscriber
Well I'm back from the weigh bridge with an empty RV and it's not good news, :( the rv comes in at 7460Kg so if I go in it the RV it's over weight.
So it looks like it's got to be uplated just to drive it,.

I've sent an eMail off to Coachmen asking for help not expecting to ever get an answer as they have never replied before, but I have found 4 or 5 web sites that have full specs including brochures for my RV with coachmens logo on it all giving the max gross weight GVWR as 8164Kg or 18000 lb would these do as proof?

Not a fantastic amount 664Kg is it?
Get 5 or 6 people in it and a tank of water your about there.

I've just looked at the Log sheet V5
Section Y Revenue Weight: 7500Kg Gross
Section F.1 Max Permissible Mass: Is Blank as is
Section G Mass in Service thats also blank also blank are
Section 0 Towing mass is also blank as are
Section 0.1 braked and
Section 0.2 unbraked

Last edited:

Gareth62

Subscriber
Gareth.
If your original CONVERTERS plate on the rv says 7500kgs it will be more difficult.as you will have to prove the vehicle can be uprated. Without modifications s
In this case sv-techs your best

Some importers had there vehicles manufacturer(converter) fit 7500kg plates as original to make it easier registering it at that weight this end.... hence why some rvs are reg at 7500 and actually weigh more empty.

If your original converters plate shows higher weights with a second plate above showing lower weights etc it will have been down plated over here.
In this case a letter to the dvla is tillbthats needed to return it to its previous higher plated rating.

Good luck
It's the original plate (Bit of Paper) on the wall from Coachmen themselves

Ruff Nomads

Look at the difference between the image of your plate and the image of the other members plate in this post, you can see the difference straight away. Just because it says coachman doesn’t mean it is coachman. id imaging that would be the original importer as has already been mentioned, typed up to sell as under 7.5tonne. Also remember the DVLA will take pretty much what ever you say, within reason. It is always your absolute responsibility to ensure the documentation is correct and that you’re driving with the legal limits of your vehicle. If you’re planning on going anywhere near German roads then you’d best not be taking any chances.
the big problem you have here is that from what you’re saying. A full tank of water and a couple of family members will take you over the designed safe working weight of the vehicle. That’s very a different ball park especially if your insurance have to get involved.
If you ever did get an answer from coachman, I’d imagine it will go along the lines of. When the chassis left us looking like an RV, there was plenty of payload capacity for its intended use in sunny parts of the US running purely on Petrol and carrying enough water for a few days in an RV park at the beach. You have removed a large part of that payload by fitting heavy LPG tanks and then filled them up with more heavy liquid.
then of course you want to carry bikes, dogs, kids and clothes heavier than a couple of pairs of flip flops and your best speedos.
This will be an interesting outcome. Please keep us all posted Gareth.

Last edited:

paul&debra

Subscriber
My Coachmen, has a label stuck on the wall above the drivers side window. If memory serves me right it is black background. There is also a label in the cupboard over the barrel chair. From memory my Mirada is around 9.4 ton gross

Gareth62

Subscriber
The only label is the one I put up here in post number 18 and that's in the cupboard by the entry door
Just been out to look for plate by driver seat but it's not there, had wondered if the last owner had painted over it when they painted the walls, obviously they didn't like the coachman green.
But they may have peeled it off before painting, just funny it's not there....

Last edited:

jayandjen

Subscriber
Importers dealt with the converters and got them to write 7500kgs on the before there imported.
The vehicles wernt weighed during registration , they just took the details off the plate.

New iva,s in bristol they didnt weigh the rv but had to take a ticket with the vehicle to stop registering heavy vehicles with little payload.
They take all sorts into account such as passenger no etc.

If you can find an original ford vin plate (incomplete vehicle plate ) that may show original weights and photographing that may work but dvla wont go with brochers or ford specs.
I know this as I tried to get the 5000lb hitch added to my weights using the handbook as proof.
No -go.

Easiest route in my opinion is SV tech as dvla seem just accept what they say.
I did downplate my old rv using them

Ruff Nomads

Hi Paul it's the Mirada 290KS
I have been looking for any examples I can find on the web
and found this example.

View attachment 26167
Jayandjen is absolutely right Gareth. Ultimately it’s the Ford Chassis that is weight bearing bit so any plate in the vehicle should only be a representation of that. Find the VIN plate would be your starting point or as said before, a few quid to SV Tech would be your best option cos this is turning out too complicated to do yourself.
look on the Ford Fleet website for whatever you chassis is. I’d imagine it’s all there.