Thinking of up plating RV

Gareth62

Subscriber
So whats involved?

Since having the LPG and solar fitted with extra batteries, I'm thinking of getting the Rv up platted but wondering what was involved and how you go about it:
Even more so with my euro tour coming up later this year...

Do I just fill out form VTG10 and book in at MOT station to be weighed

All new to me, as never had to do this before, will it afect the TAX group?
or
Will it still just be classed as Private HGV?
Will it need a tacho fitted can't see why it should....

How do they calculate the extra payload?

Last edited:

motor roamin

Subscriber
You will need to get . your gross weight from the manufacturer (in writing) or have the original plate from inside the coach, then apply for DVLA to change the log book, it will not affect the tax group nor will you need a tacho fitted, payload is calculated by taking your unladen weight from your gross weight that will give you your payload.

Gareth62

Subscriber
You will need to get . your gross weight from the manufacturer (in writing) or have the original plate from inside the coach, then apply for DVLA to change the log book, it will not affect the tax group nor will you need a tacho fitted, payload is calculated by taking your unladen weight from your gross weight that will give you your payload.
Thanks Rick have the original on the inside of the RV.

Ruff Nomads

As above. Just fill in the altered weight on the V5. Send it with a photo of the original plate and a covering letter to DVLA and that’s it. Same as down plating but in reverse.
I spoke to SV Tec when I was doing mine and a very helpful man said it’s easier and cheaper to do it yourself. All they do is what you’vebeen told to do here and then charge you for it.
no need to get it weighed as with down plating because the GVW on the original plate is you limit anyway.
as long as your license covers you you’re good to.
best thing to do in Germany from what we’ve been told.

Ruff Nomads

As an aside, I don’t really get why, if you’re qualified/licensed to drive over 7.5 tonne, why would you not up plate as a matter of course. It saves a lot of worrying about payloads and a potential penalty if you inadvertently go over weight bearing in mind legally you are still over weight if you’re heavier than the V5 states, regardless of what the vehicle is designed to carry. If you argued it, a court may hand out a lesser penalty as there’s potentially no mechanical safety factor involved but the offence is absolute so why take the risk?
The previous owner of our RV had it plated at 4.5 tonne, I’ve no idea why as he was if that certain age he could drive 7.5. First thing I did was up plate it.
The DVLA accept what ever you tell them in relation to the vehicle. You sign a legally binding statement to say that the information you have provided is accurate. It is your responsibility to ensure that it is and that you have all the necessary documentation and qualifications to operate said vehicle. No greys, just blacks and whites.
Ah well.

Last edited:

paul&debra

Subscriber
I can understand why the down rate. If you want to sell at any point, a larger audience at 7.5 ton.
My V5 is completely blank on the weight, but Is listed as a PLG. I am going to uprate it, as we have mo intention of selling.

Ruff Nomads

I used them for my Concorde Liner that had been downplated.........No payload whatsoever......I honestly don't get down plating !!...Anyway SV Tech were excellent !!(y)
They were helpful when I spoke to them and clearly didn’t want me to pay for something I could do myself.
the only reason to down plate is to stay on the right side of the law, provided the numbers enable. If you can legally drive more than 7.5 tonne and you don’t exceed your plate, and your plate /V5 matches your vehicles design max weights then down-plating is nonsense and leaves you needlessly vulnerable to prosecution. There’s just four things to line up.
1. the weight on the V5
2. the actual design weights of the vehicle
3. The weight on your license
4. And finally the actual weight of the vehicle with you, the dog, the family and deck chairs etc etc, when the old bill check.
simples.
Best wishes to you John. (y) :)

Last edited:

Pedro1122

Subscriber
Provided you’re driving license entitles you to drive >7.5tonne then yes. 8165kg. This is the max weight of the vehicle fully loaded on the road including humans, pets and beer etc.
Great ! Yes Class 2 licence holder. Can you do the up weight online?

Gareth62

Subscriber
Provided you’re driving license entitles you to drive >7.5tonne then yes. 8165kg. This is the max weight of the vehicle fully loaded on the road including humans, pets and beer etc.
But the combined axle weight is 8618Kg so how does that add up?

Ruff Nomads

But the combined axle weight is 8618Kg so how does that add up?
No idea but the GVW is generally taken as what the vehicles max working weight should be. That’s the safety bit and that’s the bit that needs to go on your V5. I’d not try to over complicate it further than that or you’ll end up having to pay to get it weighed and probably paying to get SV Tec to do it all for you because you’ve confused the issue.

Gareth62

Subscriber
This is mine the combined axle weight adds up to 7499kg with gross weight as 7500kg
So does that mean I can only carry a bag of sugar any more and I'm over weight
Or is it the UVW 6760Kg thats the unlaided weight that would mean I can carry 740Kg

D132C958-5FD3-4C43-82BA-1D200DE83C37.png

Last edited:

Ruff Nomads

Gareth. Scroll to plating certificate regulations. If you can’t sleep tonight

Gareth62

Subscriber

Gareth. Scroll to plating certificate regulations. If you can’t sleep tonight
Will do