Things Drop off Dont They!

Daybreaker

Subscriber
Ahem ! about to tow a car, looks good a frame etc. Watching a caravan hook up yesterday and he had some sort of safety hitch..looked around and most have them. WTF does that mean my car could fall off the tow bar?
Really bothering me now:(. Ive got the safety brake cable but still don't want that to happen.

chatter

Subscriber
Now Bill explain better please
Do you mean the oversize hitch at the front of the caravan rather than a hitch like on the aframe - if so that is supposed to stabiise and stop the caravan going into a snake when driven too fast or badly.
or
Do you mean a straight bar that fits by the tow ball on the vehicle and also fits to the side of aframe of caravan - the old method of stabilising the caravan and stopping a snake

http://www.al-ko.co.uk/pages/aks-stabilisers.html

http://www.bulldogsecure.com/view/bulldog-200q-anti-snake-stabiliser/9

Daybreaker

Subscriber
ah yes its the first one all the caravans seem to have one, guy I chatted to had one and said it prevents towbar coming off if you go over bumps. Was he wrong then?

Daybreaker

Subscriber
wifey is very nervous as she wont be able to see the toad I'm leaving reversing cam on to re-assure her:D:D

chatter

Subscriber
if worried your local trailer supplier/towbar supplier should be able to supply a hitchlock which you can put on and use whilst the a frame is connected to the rv towball, they are an antitheft item so the towed trailer/van cannot be disconected if you stop on route somewhere.
Something like a 'robstop' hitchlock

adamhigo

Ahem ! about to tow a car, looks good a frame etc. Watching a caravan hook up yesterday and he had some sort of safety hitch..looked around and most have them. WTF does that mean my car could fall off the tow bar?
Really bothering me now:(. Ive got the safety brake cable but still don't want that to happen.
I have towed me car with a frame for years no trouble at all mine as no safety hitch. All ever do is tow it a mile or so then pull over and check Adam

Daybreaker

Subscriber
if worried your local trailer supplier/towbar supplier should be able to supply a hitchlock which you can put on and use whilst the a frame is connected to the rv towball, they are an antitheft item so the towed trailer/van cannot be disconected if you stop on route somewhere.
Something like a 'robstop' hitchlock
Sounds Great thankyou