The Channel Tunnel

M

moandick

Hi Funsters

Literally just had word that one of our Members has been refused entry with his 39ft Monaco Diplomat onto the Channel Tunnel Train - because his slide-toppers make him too wide.

He is absolutely standard 102 inches wide but the Tunnel Company refused him entry because of his slide-toppers.

Bearing in mind that his mirrors are wider than that - has anybody else had any problem with taking an RV onto the Train (other than trying to take an LPG converted RV aboard)?

Anybody willing to stand up and state that they have taken their RV across the Channel on the Train this year?

Dick from the Big Pitch Guide

R

ruffingitsmoothly

Hi Dick

I took my Monaco (with a Single slide) on the train both ways with our tow car no problem in August 2009, we went to the Funsters rally at Parc Verger amongst other places we visited in France.

Regards Pat

Last edited by a moderator:
Member No
RV Type
A Class Diesel Pusher
RV Experience
Many Years
We went through a few weeks ago without any problems.

Alan

R

RVUSA

Hi Dick

Took the RV over 3 times on eurotunnel this year on return trips ie 6 trips, without problem.

It's a 37ft diesel pusher and it measures 3m (10ft) mirror tip to mirror tip. It does not have any slides.

Wonder what their take is? Wonder if someone has had a prang? Whatever the case I hope they don't stop RV's as have never managed to get ferry prices anywhere near the cost of eurotunnel prices.

Need anymore help then please let me know.

S

sloberdoberbob

took mine over in April

Took my Winnibago Aspect B class over in April, not problems - 9' 11" on the mirrors. Plus I had a trailer on the back.

Bob:thumbup:

D

dpick1947

Hi on my 5th wheel the slide is level with the side of the van when fully closed and the toppers are about 2 to 3 inch extra.

dpick1947

Member No
RV Type
A Class 39ft Diesel Pusher
Model
Fleetwood Discovery 39S
RV Experience
Since Oct 2007
Hi Funsters

Literally just had word that one of our Members has been refused entry with his 39ft Monaco Diplomat onto the Channel Tunnel Train - because his slide-toppers make him too wide.

Dick, This is bad news,:sad: were they 'stopped' at the check-in or just before they wete about to board the train?

Mick

M

moandick

Were they 'stopped' at the check-in or just before they were about to board the train?

Mick

I don't think they got as far as the Tunnel Entrance:......

However,this year we were to travel in our 39ft Monaco Diplomat and the problem was the vehicle width. With the slide toppers (both sides) they would not accept us even as freight. I spoke to 3 different departments but to no avail. I travelled by Sea France in the end. I did make a note at the time of the relevante information but I think its in the RV which is not currently at home. I would suggest that you check the overall width of your vehicle (minus the mirrors) and speak to them.

However I have had so many replies from people who HAVE travelled by train this year that I think Richard may have been stopped by the infamous 'Jobsworth'.

Dick

T

Toffs-rv

If it was at the check in then best to use the automated check in I guess, presumably they havent programmed the jobsworth bit in yet - hopefully:blink:

H

Hadders

Chunnel

Hi took our 36ft Magellan over in April which has three slide outs, only issue was how much gas I had stored, they inspected the plate located on the gas tank to check its capacity.
Took a 'c' class previously which had extremley wide door mirrors which I had to fold in to get through the entrance booths!
Andy

Back