Stressed dog

Azlan

Subscriber
Can anyone help us we have taken our dog out in the rv three times now but he gets so stressed we have tried 3 different harnesses he gets out of every one he cries and barks nearly all the way we are going to Yorkshire soon and it’s a 4hr drive it’s not good for him or us I have heard of tablets you can give dogs has anyone tried them with their dogs :(

paul&debra

Subscriber
We dont restrain our dogs ( I know about having accidents etc) but our dogs have learned to love the RV. They get about 4 or 5 walks a day, and are with us virtually all the time. But you can buy collapsible soft travel cages, might help while travelling. Until he learns the benefit of lots of walks.

chatter

i set the dinnette up as a bed for my dogs to travel on and i usea harness like this one with a seat belt attachment
it fits tighter round the back of the dogs ribs (on its waist) so the dog cant back out of it
on the dinnette they can stretch out or look out the window
We also stop at the first sevices on route to let the dogs out for a wee/poop then they usually settle down and we will stop again a couple of hours later and do same
Ask your vet to recommend something for stress there is plenty of stuff on the market but whether it works or not is another question

Last edited:

Ruff Nomads

We dont restrain our dogs ( I know about having accidents etc) but our dogs have learned to love the RV. They get about 4 or 5 walks a day, and are with us virtually all the time. But you can buy collapsible soft travel cages, might help while travelling. Until he learns the benefit of lots of walks.
I agree. Definitely don’t strap them in. Ours hated the rattles and bangs of the RV. They know not to sit on the sofa but in the RV when it’s rolling that’s where they are told to go. They see it as a reward and settle down with smug faces.
The only thing ours dislike at the slide out going out and the pegs going up and down. We just turn up the music and talk to them.
Never pet them if they’re scared cos that’ll teach them there’s something to be scared about.
It’s one thing medicating for feeling motion sickness but to give a dog pills for something behavioural really isn’t a great solution.
Take them for short journeys with a nice walk and play at the end. Don’t make a big deal of the journey part and ignore their behaviour as attention seeking, they feed off your anxiety, make the walk and play a reward for getting to the end. Put them back in and do it again. They’ll soon learn it’s the same as the car.
Good luck.

Last edited:

dj motormouth

Subscriber
Our White Shepherd used to get really excited when he realised we were going to move, and then settled down on the sofa. Our Alaskan Malamute loves the move but has learnt he does not come in front on the front seats so he lays down by the engine hump. But every time we stop for lights or a roundabout he has to look. He never wants a walk that night as obviously he has been in control for the whole journey! Every dog is different and it is hard to find what will suit yours. Good Luck.

pepper386

Subscriber
Can anyone help us we have taken our dog out in the rv three times now but he gets so stressed we have tried 3 different harnesses he gets out of every one he cries and barks nearly all the way we are going to Yorkshire soon and it’s a 4hr drive it’s not good for him or us I have heard of tablets you can give dogs has anyone tried them with their dogs :(
Try valerian you can get it at the vets or on line, it's a calming drug it's a natural herb, we used it every time before we moved in our RV with our new dog to keep him calm , use it about 30 minutes before you start packing the RV up, our dog was used to traveling with in a few days , we no longer need it. Good luck and keep your self calm too.

Gareth62

Subscriber
My Shepard just lies on his mat from home for the whole journey and never moves ( Well very rarely ) but as we arrive he has a bad habit of getting exited and wanting to sit on the engine cover.

stunette

Subscriber
We don't restrain the dogs whilst travelling as they are usually asleep by the time we get to the end of the drive.! We do however have spare dog leads clipped onto the lap belts on the sofas so we can clip them on in a second if we need to stop in a rush. The best thing to do is get them in the RV on the drive, start the engine & just sit there for a while to get them used to the vibration. They will then find their own spot where they are happy..! Best of luck.. (y)

chatter

isnt it a legal requirement to restrain your dog just like it is for your kids, it is abroad as well where if you get stopped with a loose animal you face an on the spot fine

Rule 57 of the Highway Code states: "When in a vehicle make sure dogs or other animals are suitably restrained so they cannot distract you while you are driving or injure you, or themselves, if you stop quickly. "A seat belt harness, pet carrier, dog cage or dog guard are ways of restraining animals

Although if a 'Mr Plod' saw stunnettes lovely (bear) dogs face appear at the window he might think twice about trying to collect., and none of us want to give the insurance bods any reason to invalidate our claim in the event of an accident because we were not complying with a legal requirement would we

Last edited:

Uncle Tony

Subscriber
Our travel dog, who happens to be called Pepper, can't wait to be allowed into her cage between the barrel chair and the sofa probably bcause she knows she will get a gravy bone. We use the same cage in the car.

I think Stu is on the right lines when he says to spend time peacefully in the RV with the engine running.

Of course the big difference in our case is that the RV is our home, so Pepper is always at home when travelling.

Arthur

Subscriber
isnt it a legal requirement to restrain your dog just like it is for your kids, it is abroad as well where if you get stopped with a loose animal you face an on the spot fine

Rule 57 of the Highway Code states: "When in a vehicle make sure dogs or other animals are suitably restrained so they cannot distract you while you are driving or injure you, or themselves, if you stop quickly. "A seat belt harness, pet carrier, dog cage or dog guard are ways of restraining animals

Although if a 'Mr Plod' saw stunnettes lovely (bear) dogs face appear at the window he might think twice about trying to collect., and none of us want to give the insurance bods any reason to invalidate our claim in the event of an accident because we were not complying with a legal requirement would we
Highway Code is not law however it can be used within the prosecutions case to support a Road Traffic Act. Eg a driver not being in proper control of a vehicle - dog sat on drivers lap, or driving the vehicle from the passenger seat, ( seen that one). So the unrestrained animal could be a factor in the prosecution and would if proved be a level 3 fine £1000 or if at level 4 £2500 if the vehicle is deemed to carry more than 8 passengers.
Some of this may have changed but the Highway Code is a rule book but not an Act of Parliament.

Art. .

paul&debra

Subscriber
Could also be done for an unsafe load I would imagine. If they could prove a dog is part of the load. The law is often badly drafted, and decided in court. But in most cases these days, the police have better things to do, with limited resources. Than try little prosecutions. But if there was a fatality in an accident, then it would be a different matter.

Azlan

Subscriber
Thank all for your advice I think it’s the noise of the engine and vibration that upsets him he is very vocal we let him sit by us on the lead and seat belt attachment but he still wanted to stand up and being a German Shepard his head is in the way of the mirrors he runs to get into it but as I say it’s the noises he doesn’t like :sweating::sweating:

34ft Cruise Air Gas

We took our cat locally to the rv in the car so she got used to the rv static without the engine and noise.
Then went on a weekend away for less than an hour traveling.
Since then she's been Portugal, Spain France Ireland, without an issue. She sleeps on the beds in the back or the chair.

Gareth62

Subscriber
The only distraction I’ve ever had with my dog was once when he wasn’t even in the van.

What you say ???????????

Well in the transit one of his balls came though from the back and found it’s way under the pedals, not funny when on the motorway stuck out in the 3rd lane, I kicked it out the way but it came back it finally dropped in to the door step.

Ruff Nomads

The only distraction I’ve ever had with my dog was once when he wasn’t even in the van.

What you say ???????????

Well in the transit one of his balls came though from the back and found it’s way under the pedals, not funny when on the motorway stuck out in the 3rd lane, I kicked it out the way but it came back it finally dropped in to the door step.
I think you should be reported to the RSPCA for kicking your dog in the balls. :rofl: