Stopover in Portugal

Member No
RV Type
A Class RV
Model
Safari Trek 31SBD
RV Experience
5 years
Am thinking of trying the route from Santander to Portugal via Salamanca, Merida and Seville in Feb 2011. Has anyone got any good ideas for a stopover around Zafra? I know there is a reasonable campsite in Merida, but that's a bit close to Salamanca which would be our first stop after Santander.

Either a safe overnight parking area or a campsite would be fine. I have researched and there seems to be a Spanish Aire on the fairground in Zafra. Has anyone ever used it? The pictures look a bit dodgy to me, but then, I don't know the area.

If no one comes up with anything then we might try the Salamanca to Evora and down to the eastern Algarve as an alternative. Our eventual aim is for Moncarapacho.

Member No
RV Type
A class pusher
Model
Damon Challenger 348 MTL
RV Experience
Hi the route you are taking is brilliant. Now dual carriage all the way. there are loads of garages ,about 40 miles apart. They have loads of room,but are noisy due to the traffic. We have changed our travel plans to avoid a; the noise and b;the cold at night (you are travelling at about the hight of the top of snowden). We tend to rest up all day@ TARNOS in France, then leave on the N1 south.Drive into the night (running with the heater on) stop at about 1am ,straight to bed then up early and off. It a long way but worth the effort. Weve stayed in Portugal for two winters and had no problems.:001_smile:

Back