Steering problem

Alan Rea

Hi folks, just joined and just bought a 1988 Gulfstream sunsport 27ft with the Chevy 7.4.
I live in Northern Ireland where the roads are a tad narrower. Having steering that responds like a rudder doesn't help. I've read of safe-t-plus bars and by all accounts they transform the drive.
Problem is I can't get the chassis identified.
I have a vin number on registration but I suspect it might have been issued on import. I'm awaiting confirmation from one source re vin number but has anyone else fitted one?

RV Neal

Subscriber
I always thought the VIN was the chassis identifier and issued by the manufacturer to an international standard, whatever the vehicle. It should have nothing to do with importation.

By the date of your RV and it's engine the chassis should be a Chevrolet P30 or P32. This arm of Chevrolet was taken over by Workhorse who continued to manufacture the chassis with a number of developments/improvements.

If you reveal your first 10 digits someone on here (possibly me?) will be able to decode it for you.

Alan Rea

I always thought the VIN was the chassis identifier and issued by the manufacturer to an international standard, whatever the vehicle. It should have nothing to do with importation.

By the date of your RV and it's engine the chassis should be a Chevrolet P30 or P32. This arm of Chevrolet was taken over by Workhorse who continued to manufacture the chassis with a number of developments/improvements.

If you reveal your first 10 digits someone on here (possibly me?) will be able to decode it for you.

Merv-IOM

Subscriber
Hi Alan and welcome to the club and the baffling world of RV's. I'm sure someone on here will sort it out.

Good luck

phil1946

Subscriber
The Chevy chassis was basically an American delivery van (think bread or parcels) and was not really built to carry 7.5 (or more) tonnes. Although yours is a Gulfstream the Safari TREK website (https://www.trektraxs.com/) has lots of info about the front (assist) air bags and setting the steering geometry (tracking) correctly for the extra weight. The difference between an old 'sloppy' steering gear (it is not rack and pinion and has lots of wear points) and a tight, correctly set up, one is amazing. One other 'problem' is that the front wheels are closer together than the rears and are narrower than a lorry so one tends to follow any rut in the road while the other is 'in the wild' - takes some getting used to but you will get there with practice. In short I would suggest that you get everything that you already have set up correctly before spending mega dosh and adding to the base weight of the vehicle.

Also just noticed that someone (@fega72 ) has kindly put the P30 Chassis Service details at the bottom of this forum!

Last edited:

Daybreaker

Subscriber
You can also replace some steering parts with better quality items. Forget what they are but others will know. No cheap though about £300

motor roamin

Subscriber
Welcome to the forum, what you have is not a steering problem but normal slightly worn steering for that chassis, it can be greatly improved by ding what phil1946 posted other alterations that help is air assistance on the springs preferably all round, I have never put a safe t bar on a chevy chassis but have known them help on early (70's 80's) Freightliner chassis, Chevy vans/pickups from the 60's suffered with the same problem after market steering idlers improved those greatly.

Alan Rea

Found a sticker with handwritten vin.

Dodgit

Subscriber
Hi folks, just joined and just bought a 1988 Gulfstream sunsport 27ft with the Chevy 7.4.
I live in Northern Ireland where the roads are a tad narrower. Having steering that responds like a rudder doesn't help. I've read of safe-t-plus bars and by all accounts they transform the drive.
Problem is I can't get the chassis identified.
I have a vin number on registration but I suspect it might have been issued on import. I'm awaiting confirmation from one source re vin number but has anyone else fitted one?

I had a 2002 Daybreak 3275 P32 6.5T.D - and yes, I got used to it,
but with oncoming traffic and road camber, driving was not as much
fun as it should have been.
After a few hundred miles journey, that constant correction did wear
me down.
It was a relatively low mileage unit and nothing was worn, so after a
lot of ‘research’ the Safe-T-plus appeared the best and ‘onestop’
solution, plus the assurance of front blowout stability.
Shopped around and found the ‘Silver’ plus brackets out of the US
at a good price.
After fitting it, didn’t think it had made much difference on a test drive
. . . but after my next run I realised how much easier and more
comfortable it had been - and my shoulders were not tense.
So - for me, it was definitely worth it.

Alan Rea

That number seems to be the sequential (or serial) number from the manufacturer's assembly line that gives it it's unique identifier - the last six digits. The preceding ten digits give you the product information.
Found vin #
1gdjp37w4j3504784.
I'm assuming a p32 chassis from what I've read.