Start issue

philip

Subscriber
No start and going away tomorrow
So I have had the front off the dash, not all the way, to change the monitor system and I put it all back together and it don't start lights on dash as normal I think, but when turned to the start position, zero. Nothing, from the engine/starter! I have no idea if it's related or not, double checked all the connections I can see, last Time I moved the RV it started no problem and not had an issue it's a workhorse v8. 81 w24 I think? Any ideas, checks I can do to make sure all. Is good it's just like it doesn't know its on park but thta shows up on the dash correctly digital display, any help much appreciated family on standby and grumpy

philip

Subscriber
Something I do notice but think it's coincidental cause i can't understand is a click noise up above the dash top section with TV in it like a click u get from a relay, but I have a feeling that when the starter kicks in you just wouldn't hear it

Gareth62

Subscriber
Okay stupid question but stupid things first, have you an imobiliser or have you got it in gear and not park ?

philip

Subscriber
First of all it's fine to get the stupid things out the way first, as sometimes simple things get overlooked.
Vehicle is in P have tried moving the shifter out of Park and back in again just in case display shows its in park too, immobiliser not as far as I know there is an alarm, which may have an imobileiser attached never use it but tried using the fob with that aslo, I don't see any flashing lights out of the ordinary either.

philip

Subscriber
Any info and ideas people can throw at me welcome, I have my trusty multimeter and hopefully daylight tomorrow to check voltages etc

Ruff Nomads

Do you have a switch to isolate the chassis batterie? If so it flips a solenoid. I guess if you’re getting a click from the dash, the switch or power at least is connected somewhere however if the solenoid is buggered you’ll not get cranking power out of the batteries.

philip

Subscriber
All the switches appear to do as they are supposed to but don't know how to test one. My clicking though is up in the above cupboard above the dash as in roof height

paul&debra

Subscriber
Have a look under your step if it opens. My isolator relay was under there and there was a bad earth. Also found hook up, did not charge my chassis battery. Can you get another vehicle close enough to try jump leads ?

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
When something doesn't work after tinkering, 90% of the time it's related to the tinkering, we've probably all done it, knocked a wire off or pulled a connection slightly apart & not noticed until something doesn't work. So first step is to revisit everything you may have caught inadvertently.
Have you tried starting it in neutral or even moving the shift lever through its range while the key is turned to the start position?
When you say the dash lights are on as normal, then when you turn to start nothing, do you mean the lights go off? If so it could just be a battery or bad earth causing the problem.

Ruff Nomads

Hi no light stay on don't dim. Tried it in various positions inc neutral
At guess, if the lights don’t dim or flicker or change in any way then I’d guess your not even drawing power to the starter.
my money is still on a solenoid not connecting the the power to crank the engine. Or as Above, some smaller wires that initiate the solenoid have been knocked.

tacr2man

Subscriber
Have you checked the battery voltage , and tried the start with jump switch held in ? If you can access the starter motor , check for power to the solenoid wire when key held over to start position .
If no power go to gearbox inhibitor switch and check for current in and out on start circuit . If no power in then go to ign switch (back of key ) and check for power going active on terminals when key turned to start position this will be solenoid feed wire , if no wire on terminal that goes live , you have pulled the wire off

Last edited:

Daybreaker

Subscriber
I had that recently Adi4 tried to jump solenoid no good so towed me into park .. I changed starter no good. Was earth cable from chassis to engine corroded away it’s a flat braided copper cable on left side of chassis near engine. Mine is workhorse Chevy too