Spain update

Member No
RV Type
Gulfstream C Class
Model
Conquest Classic
RV Experience
Newbies
Well we've been here almost 2 weeks now and all is going well on our first Spanish trip...well except for my Spanish, which I don't seem to be picking up very quickly - must be my age!!

Having arrived in Santander at lunchtime a week last Monday we decided to stay local for the first night so we only drove as far as the aire at the nature park at Cabarceno. We took a short bike ride around the park to meet the elephants and would definitely use the site again as an overnight stopover.

Friends of ours were staying in Fuengirola that week so we decided to head there to meet up with them. We had a midway overnight stop at the ACSI site at Aranjuez (would probably just stop on the large car park nearby next time) and then once in Fuengirola, we found a relatively new winter stopover on the car park by the castle. It is €2 per night for RVs (as you take up 2 spaces!) and there are no services, but as the money goes to a local charity for people with disabilities we didn't mind paying. We stayed there for just one night and most of the following day, before heading to the other side of Malaga where we had phoned ahead to a site at Torrox Costa where they assured us we would fit in. However after a wander around the site we decided it would be a bit tight and so ended up parking up in a lay by near the sea front instead.

The following day we moved further up the coast to a commercial aire at Vera (No 91 in the book). This is a relatively large site with nice big pitches on the top terrace (€11 a night including electric and wifi) but it is a bit remote and so we only stayed one night before moving a little further up the coast to another commercial aire, this time in Cartagena (no 86 in the book). We have been here for a week now and found it ideal for our needs. The surrounding area is a little run down but there are 3 supermarkets within a 10 minute walk and it is great for cycling both on and off road. It is €10 a night including electric and wifi (if you stay over 14 nights, otherwise €12) and you have fresh water and grey water disposal on the pitch. There are toilets and showers, a laundry, a couple of rooms for guests to use with heaters and a TV and 'library' and 2 outside seating areas for groups. There are also locally picked fresh oranges and lemons that are left out each day for guests to take. It's also very secure with staff on site all day, and a secure gate closed between 9pm-9am (you are given a key in case you need it).

We are planning to stay here at least another week but haven't made any plans for Christmas/New Year. I'd be interested in the views of other members as to whether you think it is too late now to book into a larger site for the main holiday period (we are thinking of perhaps somewhere with an indoor pool and maybe some evening entertainment)? We haven't tried anywhere yet but are wondering whether it might be a nice change for a week or so.

We need to start heading up to France mid-January as we have now got a date for the completion of our new house there and need to be near to Limoges to sign the contract on the 18th, so we plan to work our way a bit further up the coast before then anyway.

So in summary, "Hasta aquí, todo bien!"

paul&debra

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
a class
Model
Coachmen Mirada
RV Experience
since august 2012
Brilliant and useful post, thanks for that and keep enjoying.(y)

Steve Martin

Subscriber
Member No
RV Type
A
Model
Monaco Knight 30' twin slide Diesel
RV Experience
Not enough to get the T-shirt
Good write up for the Aire, may use that one now.
I can't help you with booking with sites as I am hopeless at planning and just arrive with a big smile. :D

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Damon Daybreak 3270
RV Experience
5 happy years Picking up Bits
HUH welcome to my world That's mostly what I arrive with "Just a Smile" Anyone seen most of an RV?
That's a useful post and sure will help other people.

Member No
RV Type
A Class
Model
Coachmen Mirada
RV Experience
Started 2011 (new)
You are not far from the site at La Manga, we have stayed there for 5 years on the trot in Jan/Feb/March. I don't usually arrive there until the middle of January. (we arrive on the 21st Jan this time). However chatting to the Brits on site, most say that Xmas and New Year were very good on site because there was a lot of social events laid on such as live entertainment, dancing, quizzes etc
Worth a call to see if they can accommodate you as the reception staff all speak excellent English.
We park a 34foot Mirada there with no major issues.

Member No
RV Type
Gulfstream C Class
Model
Conquest Classic
RV Experience
Newbies
Thanks all - we now know that there are loads more shops/banks and bars and restaurants just another few minutes away from us down a street that we hadn't explored till today (in Santa Ana). We may try a few of the restaurants out over the next week (y)

Back