Shipping RV from US to UK

paul&debra

Subscriber
All of us own left hand drive RV's I am not sure other than some Australian ones if any have ever been converted.

It all depends on weight for licence entitlement not the length. If you took your test before 1997, then you should be entitled to drive vehicles up to 7500KG if you took your test after that, you will need to take another test. C1 licence allows up to 7.5 Ton or 7500 KG . If the vehicle is over 7.5 ton, then you will need a C licence, which is equivalent to the old class 2 HGV licence. If you want to tow a car behind it, you will need a C + E licence which is the old HGV1 artic licence.
A bit of a learning curve for the left hand drive, but mainly just the length and the handling. If you are going for an A class, I would recommend taking some HGV lessons no matter what the weight, as you will find them invaluable. If an A class, because you are sitting so high, the left hand drive makes little difference. Once you have worked out the width and where to place yourself on the road. For HGV lessons, contact Motoroaming on here, as he runs an HGV driving school and also has many years of experience driving RV's.

Last edited:

shovelheadrob

Subscriber
All of us own left hand drive RV's I am not sure other than some Australian ones if any have ever been converted.

It all depends on weight for licence entitlement not the length. If you took your test before 1997, then you should be entitled to drive vehicles up to 7500KG if you took your test after that, you will need to take another test. C1 licence allows up to 7.5 Ton or 7500 KG . If the vehicle is over 7.5 ton, then you will need a C licence, which is equivalent to the old class 2 HGV licence. If you want to tow a car behind it, you will need a C + E licence which is the old HGV1 artic licence.
A bit of a learning curve for the left hand drive, but mainly just the length and the handling. If you are going for an A class, I would recommend taking some HGV lessons no matter what the weight, as you will find them invaluable. If an A class, because you are sitting so high, the left hand drive makes little difference. Once you have worked out the width and where to place yourself on the road. For HGV lessons, contact Motoroaming on here, as he runs an HGV driving school and also has many years of experience driving RV's.
I'm guessing that the OP has an American licence, I don't think that you get any extra categories when you exchange it for a UK one....

SFUKAdventurer

Subscriber
I'm guessing that the OP has an American licence, I don't think that you get any extra categories when you exchange it for a UK one....
I have both a UK and US licence... I took my UK test before 1997 but I've been living in the US for 15 years and it has expired... I'll see if I'm asked to retake the test when I get back!

scouser

Subscriber
This may be a silly question but I'm assuming you kept it left hand drive? Was there a learning curve?
yes kept it left had I was lucky as i had 13 months in USA and Canada with there big open roads
different story when i got back to UK but you soon get used to the narrow roads and dick head lorry drivers who try to swipe your wing mirrors of
scouser