Shipping RV from US to UK

SFUKAdventurer

Subscriber
Hi folks, I’m currently living on the West Cost of the US, near San Francisco; I am going to be returning to the UK late next year but am planning a 6 month road trip across the US before heading home… hopefully Covid behaves!

I’m exploring the possibility of buying an RV that I can ship to the UK. I’ve already looked into the taxes/duties side of things and as long as I own it for 6 months prior to shipping and a year after shipping, I am exempt from taxes (the advantage of transferring residence!) I’m considering both travel trailer and class C styles. Have any of you shipped these types of RVs to the UK. Do you know what conversions each type would require to conform to UK regulations and roughly what I can expect to pay in terms of the conversions? I’m trying to decide if it’s cost effective to buy here, ship, and convert or just buy there when I eventually get there!

Any assistance would be appreciated!

RV Neal

Subscriber
Hi Mate, (When I read your name I was amused to think it started "S-Fuka"! :giggle::giggle::giggle: I can't answer your question in any detail, I can only say the indicators are likely to need modification if they're not amber. Same goes for the front side lights if they are amber. The there's the 120V shoreline power hook up. It will need a transformer to drop UK 230V down to US 120V in order to power your mains equipment in the RV and you will require some modification to the generator set-up to provide 230V when running. You'll need a 230V ring main installing in the RV to allow you to use UK equipment.

Then there's any mods that need doing on the outside of the coach to make it "legal" to ship to UK. Once in the UK it will need a NOVA certificate and then registering with DVLA.

Someone on here will be able to guide you much better than me. Good luck.

SFUKAdventurer

Subscriber
Hi Mate, (When I read your name I was amused to think it started "S-Fuka"! :giggle::giggle::giggle: I can't answer your question in any detail, I can only say the indicators are likely to need modification if they're not amber. Same goes for the front side lights if they are amber. The there's the 120V shoreline power hook up. It will need a transformer to drop UK 230V down to US 120V in order to power your mains equipment in the RV and you will require some modification to the generator set-up to provide 230V when running. You'll need a 230V ring main installing in the RV to allow you to use UK equipment.

Then there's any mods that need doing on the outside of the coach to make it "legal" to ship to UK. Once in the UK it will need a NOVA certificate and then registering with DVLA.

Someone on here will be able to guide you much better than me. Good luck.
Thanks! Sounds like it isn't going to be cheap but I'll check with the companies that others on the thread have suggested.