Screen damage.

Nedrawnep

Our Brave didn't have a test done. Tester snagged screen so I aborted test. Damage is in zone A and 6 inches from bottom of screen. It was a chip and was drilled years ago. Now a small crack has appeared. It's 15mm. It's not in driver's line of sight. If I was very short I wouldn't see it as would be behind dash. Have an mot tester friend who mentioned this to the vosa inspector who visited in Friday. He maintained rules had changed and if it not in eye view it's advisory. A set nav takes up 10 times more space. Am contacting vosa for clarification. Perhaps we may get an mot and our usual long summer trip.

car1966

Subscriber
Hi can you get the crack drill and repair to stop it going any further, as a Advisory will not be a fail and give you chance to replace screen , not one hundred per cent sure you will get it repair but worth a try

gulfbluersr

Subscriber
How big is the crack/chip? What about a carefully place satnav, dashcam or sticker and a different MOT testing station to get you going ;)

Nedrawnep

Spoke to VOSA today. They told me if it's not in the swept area it's ok. For clarification they suggested I email a photo to them. Contacted MOT station and they would still fail it unless I have some confirmation from VOSA. The tester checked the regs, as the vehicle weighs more than 3500 kgs the A zone is 350mm either side of steering wheel, any damage greater than 10mm regardless of position fails.

tacr2man

Subscriber
I dont know where your tester is getting 350mm because its over 3500kg as its a class 4 test weight isnt a factor ( not a class seven) Motorhome anomaly . section 8.3 Windscreen Inspection Zones Zone ‘A’ is: • in the swept area of the windscreen • 290mm wide • centered on the centre of the steering wheel. If its still within the A zone then technically its over 10mm circle so its a RFF .
DVSA inspectors can be a bit more lenient as they are not "overseen" quite as pedantically as "civi examiners .
You could try a different test site , but its very examiner dependent.
JMHO

Nedrawnep

Have had crack repaired and am confident it will be ok for the test. Due to another set back that could be a few weeks away.